Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no clue how this happened, but it did! Yes, I have fallen a few times off the bike at moderate speed, but there is no visible mark of these falls on the exterior of the helmet, and hence I cannot justify/explain this crack (I've done some web-research and it seems cracks are commonplace with the Pneumo helmet - at least the older ones).

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4829/01cy1.jpg

https://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2659/02bo3.jpg

Should I expect the helmet to fall apart soon? I don't want to risk my safety in a potential fall/accident given the position of the crack, so I will buy a new helmet. Do you think, however, that if I superglue the crack (Loctite etc), it will be ok to leave it at my summer house and use for short travel? What kind of glue should I use?

As far as waranty goes, I don't think there's any chance there because I've had this helmet since 2003 (May '02 model). Do you think otherwise? Problem is I live in Greece and I reckon the local distributor won't be too keen on replacing it etc.

Bell Sweep XC any good? I'm talking safety and ventilation. Shame no one makes a good black and white helmet that I like anymore (apart from the hefty priced MET Kaos Ultimate) :(

PS1. Sorry for the no good pics, but my digital camera is dead and the mobile I used does not have macro.

PS2. I think the forum needs an apparel/gear section.
 

·
The Martian
Joined
·
1,200 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me what people expect out of helmets.

They are designed to go through ONE crash. Technically you dropping it from shoulder height onto reasonably solid ground "counts". Of course we all accidentally drop our helmets and still use them and it's fine, but every impact no matter how small compresses and degrades the foam...that's it's JOB it's how it saves your head. Frequently this occurs without visible damage, but it's still damaged. That this helmet has been through several crashes at moderate speed is FAR MORE than it's design intentions. The helmet did it's job and was ruined the FIRST time you crashed at "moderate speed".

The helmet is also past it's designed and intended lifetime of 5yrs. You can claim that's bogus, but that's what the manufacturers say these things can hold up to given NO crashes. That you've crashed "a few times" makes this a moot point anyway.

No, you can't glue this back together and have any expectation of it protecting your head under any circumstances. It is already likely to not be protecting your head in several areas at least; you are already risking your safety crack or no crack. That it's now cracked as well makes this a no brainer... This thing has saved your head multiple times, which is more than it was designed to do... Go buy a new $30 helmet; IT'S YOUR HEAD!!!

If you don't like that helmets are fragile and are one use only then go get a hardshell full face helmet. I believe those are designed for multiple crashes.
 

·
Big Boned
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
Yep, definitely a common issue with Pneumos. That bridge across the brow is incredibly fragile.

I had the same problem with two different Pneumos back in the days when I worked at a bike shop. I was lucky, our manager let me warranty the helmet twice before I got sick of the problem and sold it after I replaced it the last time. We saw a few come back from customers, too. From what I saw, I'd bet there are probably lots of people today riding around with a crack in their Pneumo who haven't noticed it yet.

Contact Giro and ask about a crash replacement. They may hook you up with a discounted replacement. Never hurts to ask. FWIW, I like my Xen a lot.

Anyway... Look on the bright side. 5 years on a helmet is a lot, you got a pretty good bang-for-your-buck out of it. You were probably due for a new one anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
f3rg said:
I like how you focused on the grass in the background so that the crack is completely blurry.
It couldn't be done otherwise...trust me! (I believe I mentioned the camera of my mobile phone has no macro)

To the others: I appreciate your comments.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
decipher said:
I have no clue how this happened, but it did! Yes, I have fallen a few times off the bike at moderate speed, but there is no visible mark of these falls on the exterior of the helmet, and hence I cannot justify/explain this crack (I've done some web-research and it seems cracks are commonplace with the Pneumo helmet - at least the older ones).

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4829/01cy1.jpg

https://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2659/02bo3.jpg

Should I expect the helmet to fall apart soon? I don't want to risk my safety in a potential fall/accident given the position of the crack, so I will buy a new helmet. Do you think, however, that if I superglue the crack (Loctite etc), it will be ok to leave it at my summer house and use for short travel? What kind of glue should I use?

As far as waranty goes, I don't think there's any chance there because I've had this helmet since 2003 (May '02 model). Do you think otherwise? Problem is I live in Greece and I reckon the local distributor won't be too keen on replacing it etc.

Bell Sweep XC any good? I'm talking safety and ventilation. Shame no one makes a good black and white helmet that I like anymore (apart from the hefty priced MET Kaos Ultimate) :(

PS1. Sorry for the no good pics, but my digital camera is dead and the mobile I used does not have macro.

PS2. I think the forum needs an apparel/gear section.
As the others pointed out, replace the helmet. It has done its job.

Next time get a mid-level model. The high-end helmets are designed to meet the safety standards with the minimum amount of weight. Does not make them durable to normal non-crash handling.

Even then the helmet should be replaced after a crash impact or every 3-4 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
I had a Pneumo and I think I got three years out of it. I never even looked real close at it until someone told me it was cracked one day and then I saw that it was cracked in several places on the inside. I had fallen two or three times hitting trees and a guardrail which looking back I never even thought much about because I had the helmet on. If you ride a lot I can see replacing a helmet every two years anyways just because the pads wear out and the grommets start falling apart.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Take a Road Helmet Mountain Biking...

You've had the helmet for 5 years. You've crashed it a couple of times. It's a road helmet.

Get a new helmet.

I don't know when but the cracking at the bridge ofthe helmet was noticed and now the Pneumo has some sort of epoxy bracing at that point.

My older Pneumo had the same crack as yours. Its replacement has the bracing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To all:

I appreciate your comments, although I doubt that helmets are as fragile as you mention CougarTreck. I realise that my crash/accident history while wearing this helmet has compromised the helmet's ability to protect my head compared to original spec but: given the place the crack appeared, the comments by Manmountain Dense, as well as what I've read online bout the Pneumo makes you wonder, doesn'it?

Also, CougarTreck, when making such bold statements about anything, it helps having the data/information to back it up.

And yes, I will get a proper XC helmet this time.

Thanks
 

·
don't thread on me
Joined
·
429 Posts
decipher said:
As far as warranty goes, I don't think there's any chance there because I've had this helmet since 2003 (May '02 model). Do you think otherwise? Problem is I live in Greece and I reckon the local distributor won't be too keen on replacing it etc.
Warranty on a 5 year old Styrofoam helmet? Your helmet is made of the same Styrofoam crap as a $2 Walmart cooler with just a rigid coating applied on top. The manufacturer recommends it be replaced after any kind of major impact. Throw that thing away and buy a new one.

Any of the newer Bell or Giro helmets can be had for $40 to $60 US at the major web vendors.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Seriously?

decipher said:
To all:

I appreciate your comments, although I doubt that helmets are as fragile as you mention CougarTreck. I realise that my crash/accident history while wearing this helmet has compromised the helmet's ability to protect my head compared to original spec but: given the place the crack appeared, the comments by Manmountain Dense, as well as what I've read online bout the Pneumo makes you wonder, doesn'it?

Also, CougarTreck, when making such bold statements about anything, it helps having the data/information to back it up.

And yes, I will get a proper XC helmet this time.

Thanks
CougarTreck gave you the correct answer. Helmets are made of foam and are designed for one crash.

You purchased a road helmet and wore it mountain biking.

I wear the same helmet mountain biking. The difference is when mine is ready to replace, I won't come on a bulletin board and complain about how fragile my road helmet is and it wouldn't stand up to half a decade of mountain biking and multiple crashes.

Every leave your helmet in the car? UV rays harm them and shorten their lifespan as well.

They are not a lifetime purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RockadileSX said:
Wow hows your career as a professional photographer going?
Obviously worse than yours as a BLIND PERSON (try reading next time, rather than just looking at pictures). So please, if you have nothing constructive to add to this conversation, please make better use of your time elsewhere, like the "I have nothing better to do with my time" post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ken in KC said:
CougarTreck gave you the correct answer. Helmets are made of foam and are designed for one crash.

You purchased a road helmet and wore it mountain biking.

I wear the same helmet mountain biking. The difference is when mine is ready to replace, I won't come on a bulletin board and complain about how fragile my road helmet is and it wouldn't stand up to half a decade of mountain biking and multiple crashes.

Every leave your helmet in the car? UV rays harm them and shorten their lifespan as well.

They are not a lifetime purchase.
First of all, the Pneumo's use scope wasn't just road, it has become so with the expansion of Giro's product line. Also, remember it was once Giro's best helmet and it is still considered one of the best products Giro ever made.

Furthermore, helmet classification has more to do with marketing and functional attributes, rather than core design. Unless of course, falling from your road bike at 70km/h is better than falling off your bike 30km/h (considering the difference in speed between the two disciplines). So, until someone comes up with a rule/law that requires bicycle helmet manufacturers to explicitly define the intended use of their products and disallow any other use, I'm not changing my view on the subject.

Finally, the difference is that when I come on a bulletin board for a help/advice I expect a friendly attitude and not blatant patronising from know-it-all people, who think it is their sacred duty to belittle everyone who disagrees with them.

And yes, no matter what the truth is, I expected my helmet to be more durable because all of the impacts I have been involved in were mild. So we have different expectations out of a product, big deal...

I think some people need to do more riding than typing.

To regress to the key points my original post: Helmet cracked/place it broke not consistent impacts/turns out old Pneumo's crack at the same place/possibility of replacement/buying a new helmet.

Tell me, do you find anything you've said so far to be relevant to the above? I think not. I won't be returning to read any of your answers because I am not into internet feuds, I just want friendly advice, which is obviously not available here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
The helmets are supposed to crack when there is any sort of significant impact. That is one of the main ways in which they protect our skulls--by absorbing some of the energy of an impact. The existence of a crack is good evidence that one of the falls was significant enough for the helmet to need to do its job and absorb some of the energy by deforming and cracking. If it cracked for another reason, that just means it is too old and brittle and needs to be replaced anyway.

It is just time for a new helmet.

I'm lucky if my helmets last a year, so I go with the mid-level models and am basically just looking for one which meets the CPSC standards, fits well, and has lots of ventilation.
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
You're wrong in many ways...

decipher said:
First of all, the Pneumo's use scope wasn't just road, it has become so with the expansion of Giro's product line. Also, remember it was once Giro's best helmet and it is still considered one of the best products Giro ever made.

Furthermore, helmet classification has more to do with marketing and functional attributes, rather than core design. Unless of course, falling from your road bike at 70km/h is better than falling of your bike 30km/h (considering the difference in speed between the two disciplines). So, until someone comes up with a rule/law that requires bicycle helmet manufacturers to explicitly define the intended use of their products and disallow any other use, I'm not changing my view on the subject.

Finally, the difference is that when I come on a bulletin board for a help/advice I expect a friendly attitude and not blatant patronising from know-it-all people, who think it is their sacred duty to belittle everyone who disagrees with them.

And yes, no matter what the truth is, I expected my helmet to be more durable because all of the impacts I have been involved in were mild. So we have different expectations out of a product, big deal...

I think some people need to do more riding than typing.

To regress to the key points my original post: Helmet cracked/place it broke not consistent impacts/turns out old Pneumo's crack at the same place/possibility of replacement/buying a new helmet.

Tell me, do you find anything you've said so far to be relevant to the above? I think not. I won't be returning to read any of your answers because I am not into internet feuds, I just want friendly advice, which is obviously not available here.
It's considered "best" because it's light and moves a lot of air through it, not because it's durable.

Helmet classification has to do with an ANSI rating. As others have said, a $15 styrofoam block from Wal-Mart and a top of the line Giro have the same protection rating and they're both only good for one crash. Period. You can disagree all you like but you're wrong. Read up on the safety information that comes with your helmet. I'm sure you have those, right? After all, you have some very firm opinions on the subject, so I'm certain that you've taken the time to educate yourself on the matter.

If you came on here and expected people to tell you that your opinions on helmet longevity, durabity and unreasonable expectations were correct when in fact, they're not; then you've come to the wrong place.

Is it reasonable to expect a styrofoam car bumper to hold up to multiple "mild" rear end collisions as well? After all, many of them are made of the same material as our helmets.

You can replace your old helmet with any helmet you like. But to expect Giro to replace it is unreasonable. You wore it for 5 years. You crashed in it multiple times. It's time to buy a new one. Get over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
decipher said:
Obviously worse than yours as a BLIND PERSON (try reading next time, rather than just looking at pictures). So please, if you have nothing constructive to add to this conversation, please make better use of your time elsewhere, like the "I have nothing better to do with my time" post.
Here is something constructive, hold the helmet a wee bit further away from the camera next time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
decipher said:
First of all, the Pneumo's use scope wasn't just road, it has become so with the expansion of Giro's product line. Also, remember it was once Giro's best helmet and it is still considered one of the best products Giro ever made.

Furthermore, helmet classification has more to do with marketing and functional attributes, rather than core design. Unless of course, falling from your road bike at 70km/h is better than falling of your bike 30km/h (considering the difference in speed between the two disciplines). So, until someone comes up with a rule/law that requires bicycle helmet manufacturers to explicitly define the intended use of their products and disallow any other use, I'm not changing my view on the subject.

Finally, the difference is that when I come on a bulletin board for a help/advice I expect a friendly attitude and not blatant patronising from know-it-all people, who think it is their sacred duty to belittle everyone who disagrees with them.

And yes, no matter what the truth is, I expected my helmet to be more durable because all of the impacts I have been involved in were mild. So we have different expectations out of a product, big deal...

I think some people need to do more riding than typing.

To regress to the key points my original post: Helmet cracked/place it broke not consistent impacts/turns out old Pneumo's crack at the same place/possibility of replacement/buying a new helmet.

Tell me, do you find anything you've said so far to be relevant to the above? I think not. I won't be returning to read any of your answers because I am not into internet feuds, I just want friendly advice, which is obviously not available here.
Here is some friendly advice. Read all of the replies to this thread about how helmets function and when they should be replaced. The only one that is incorrect in their views is you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
I used to work for a helmet company. Our designer told me that the styrofoam only has a life of 2 years if the helmet is used normally. The UV breaks the styrofoam down. If left in a car it will be way less then that anyway.

I tend to replace helmets ever year anyway.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top