Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... here's the story. i started my fiancé road biking, and she really enjoyed it. she decided she wanted to try mountain biking. i thought she'd hate it, and she wasn't really sure. we ended up getting her a Giant entry level 650b (Tempt 5). so we rode it around the neighborhood and went curb-hopping and what not. she took to it REALLY quickly.

she instantly fell in love, and i had parts laying around... a nice fun day in the garage with a beer and some free time, and she ends up with an SLX drivetrain, and elixir 7 brakes... we ride some more... she loves it even more. next thing you know, she's installing parts herself. i buy a new handlebar. she puts my old ritchey wcs carbon on her Tempt. some Vans ODI Grips, too.

at this point, she's hooked. and we catch wind of Suntour's fork upgrade program... at the moment, we're waiting for her Raidon air fork to come in (1t $180... how could i NOT?)... and then i made the biggest mistake ever...

i was browsing the web, sitting on the couch next to her... and i went to the santa cruz page. what is on the front page but a GIANT PICTURE of the new Nomad.

she's OBSESSED with this thing. we had a long talk about how our local trails don't call for insane travel and her riding style isn't conducive to carbon frames. plus we don't have $7k...

we came to this agreement: as her wedding gift (march of 2015) i am getting her a frame (or frameset). her only requirement is that it's a good bike, and that it's "pretty".

what's out there that is nice and girly, but still made form a reputable company and won't brake the bank. the Giant offerings are too "dark" for her. she want something "happy" like the Nomad.

i might as well get this out of the way too, hopefully you gents will understand the "get the gal what she wants!" attitude:

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Lust Advance 2 (carbon) frame is pretty female oriented in colors, also the Lust 2 (aluminum) is as well. Giant doesn't have the frames listed as available on the site, but I am sure a local shop could get you one.

·
Registered
118 Posts
pics or.......:thumbsup:

if she likes that teal/turquoise color, maybe a yeti.....not that those are any cheaper than santa cruz. OR......something that comes in white and get purple anodized parts....some of those are borderline pink.

Purple Violet Magenta Pink Lavender

Violet Purple Magenta Pink Line

kinda like this...
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like the trails we ride are pretty similar (ie, I bought a Solo C over Bronson)

I recently bought the mrs a Giant Lust 2 also, the Giant picture makes the frame look quite dark, but in the sunlight the blue really pops. They are ridiculously cheap for how good they are and the Maestro suspension makes the 100mm feel like a lot more. Hell, I even took it for a spin down a green rated trail here and beat my PR on Strava I'd set on the Solo !! Imagine how pissed I was (and how happy the mrs was haha)

Personally I didn't see any benefit in buying the Lust Adv (carbon) as only the main triangle is carbon, the rear is still alloy which is where most of your flex will be.

The money I saved on buying the Lust2 I spent on better parts (Blackspire MonoVeloce chainring, SLX Brakes and XT Shadow+ rear der)

I honestly cannot fault the bike. The headtube also sits quite high which is very confidence inspiring for newbies going down rocks/chutes and jumping... which once they start washing the front wheel due to increased skills/speed can drop and flip the stem to get more weight over the front wheel.

We both recently completed a 100km race (62miles) and she only finished an hour behind me and had 0 stacks (compared to my 2) and I would say that simple comes down to my fitness levels were a lot higher. On short rides in tech singletrack she often surprises me how close behind she is when I think I'm pinning it.

My 0.02c

oh and if she wants pretty.... buy some carbon hoops for it and get custom pink decals made up ;)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha thank you for that. They just got one in at the lbs so I'm going to take her down and have her ride it. Hopefully the ride will sway her as to the color. I would really only be getting the frame as we have a full slx drivetrain and air fork already. We shall see!

Posted via mobile

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been talking to Scott. That was my first choice. Issue is 150mm is way too much bike, and 29er is a no go. She's 5'0" and we test rode a bunch of bikes, the 27.5 short travel made her feel most confident.

I wish switchback made a shorter travel xc type 650b. I'd be all over it!
Posted via mobile

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.