Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
antonio said:
That's a burly looking bashguard.
Not really. It's a standard Shimano bashguard that comes with the 22/36T SLX crankset and has honeycomb construction in the back. Very nice stiff crankset.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she's 5'4"

She is 5'4" and the small rip 9 fits her perfectly. I had to go with a short (70 0r 80mm) stem to make her cockpit dimensions work. She has ample standover clearance. To get proper sag at her light weight (120ish) the air pressure in the reba is about 60 psi, the fox rear is about 70 PSi. So far so good. She is running the wtb bronson 2.2 tires on stans ztr arch rims. I set her tire pressure at 23 psi in the front and about 21 in the rear. I actually believe I could go lower at her weight and improve her ride a bit. I might try 20 front and rear next ride.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nice bike, bet that gained you major brownie points :D Is that a 120mm or 100mm fork? Looks kind of short to be 120mm.

Hum, now that's backwards if ever I saw it :eek:ut: Your front tyre will normally get lifted over obstacles and hence recieve less brutal impact than the rear, also you've less weight on the front. As to you think you could go to 20 PSI for her whopping 120lbs :D Yeah, call it a crazy hunch, but I think 20 PSI upfront will be more than all right, I'd more try 20 R/ 18 F.

tmccrohon said:
She is 5'4" and the small rip 9 fits her perfectly. I had to go with a short (70 0r 80mm) stem to make her cockpit dimensions work. She has ample standover clearance. To get proper sag at her light weight (120ish) the air pressure in the reba is about 60 psi, the fox rear is about 70 PSi. So far so good. She is running the wtb bronson 2.2 tires on stans ztr arch rims. I set her tire pressure at 23 psi in the front and about 21 in the rear. I actually believe I could go lower at her weight and improve her ride a bit. I might try 20 front and rear next ride.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its a 120mm reba rl...and I had it backwards

The fork is a reba rl 120mm (convertible to 140mm but I see no need). Thanks to Lynxx for clearing it up. I had it backwards as far as tire pressure goes. I think I will try your numbers (18f, 20r). I don't think she will blow a tire off the rim at 120 pounds.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:D Sorry :D I see something like that and I'm like WHAT? Yeah I run about 19-21 F and 24-27 R and I weigh in at about 180lbs geared to ride, using Flow rims. I've run a lot lower (about 14 PSI F) and it worked, actually superbly well for very slow rock crawling, but at speed, defnitely not and when I got the tyre caught in a crevace and burped it that wasn't fun :(
tmccrohon said:
The fork is a reba rl 120mm (convertible to 140mm but I see no need). Thanks to Lynxx for clearing it up. I had it backwards as far as tire pressure goes. I think I will try your numbers (18f, 20r). I don't think she will blow a tire off the rim at 120 pounds.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im using flows as well

I am using stans flows with the same tires (bronson 2.2 run tubeless). I am 190 with gear. Maybe ill try 22 front, 24 rear and see what happens.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
SWEET ! What a great color and looks to be a perfect fit
my shortie isn't getting on the trails, but I'll post the ride I just built her to say:
"Cheers Mate"

notice how many mtb parts I used and the 152mm Sugino crank arms .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Nice! My wife's riding improved exponentially when I put her on a 29er (and we'd been riding together 14+ years prior)!

Looks like a match made in heaven! :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She improved immediately the first ride on her RIP. She succesfully climbed 2 hills she had never made before. Additionally, she rolled over logs that used to bump her off her line smoothly and tracked dead straight upon landing. The combination of 29 inch wheels, 4.5 inches of travel (she had zero rear and 2 up front before, if you can call a coil dart fork suspension) and tubless tires made for quite an upgraded performer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice!
Glad to hear about the upgrade in ability that came with it.. I'm also 5'4" and around 120 lbs, thinking about a 29er, but everyone I know who has one is a 6 ft tall dude. So, it's great to hear that it made riding easier (and therefore faster!!) for someone my size.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts