Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my girl to North Lake next week, and I need some advice on easy to moderate trail rides around the basin. I know a lot of trails, but am terrible at gauging what's manageable for a newer rider.

She rides the regular loop at China Camp with ease, both from a skills and fitness standpoint, and aside from the Flume (which may or may not be ready by next week), where else should I take the hottie?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Took my wife quite on her second ever mtn bike ride Mount Rose Meadows to TRT to Flume to Marlette Lake then back on Flume and down Tunnel Creek Road. Rented her a nice 5inch travel bike and she had a great time. Cleared way more stuff then I ever expected her too. At begining of ride is a short climb then 9 miles of gentle descent downhill then 4 miles of flat Flume Trail.

If she has the fitness for it you can take her around Marlette Lake at the end of the Flume and up Marlette Peak and back down to TRT and to Tunnell Creek Road.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,485 Posts
another vote for the Flume

My non-mtbiking wife loved it and wants to go again, which is highly unusual.

Edit: Oops! Check, Flume may not be ready next week. Missed that in your post.

Sounds like your GF is fit. Spooner summit to Kingsbury out-and-back might be open. I thought I saw a recent post with pictures here somewhere. I love that stretch of the TRT and it's not hardcore, plus the downhill to Kingsbury is pretty rockin'! If you are doing the out and back, skip the parallel fireroad east of the trail as a return option. It sucks.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
If your are up for the drive down to S Lake, my wife dug Gun Tower (I think) starting at the High School near the HWY 50 'Y' and ending in Myers. It's not a loop, so you can either double back or ride through the neighborhoods or contiue on to Toads.

There is also a fun, relatively easy ride on the back side of Heavenly. The trail head is at the top of of Ski Run (@ the KFC in town) and has smooth flowing downhill singletrack along a creek if you ride it in the counter-clockwise direction.

At N Lake my wife likes the XC ski area at the top of Dollar Point (near the 7-Eleven), but I get really bored there.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions, we're staying in Tahoe City, but have family and friends in SLT so several trips south are already on the itinerary.

The Bench Trail? I hadn't considered that to be an option, she has a 6" bike and is really fit, but I want to keep her stoked on riding. Maybe next trip...

I really hope the Flume is ready because I haven't even ridden that my self.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Bench ride? Hell no!

I took my wife up there on the recommendation of a local shop. No Go! We got maybe a mile in and she was sick and tired of all the dismounts due to the tall steps and narrow passages. She turned back. I rode on and ended up doing Superman off of one off the steps. Fun, but definitely not GF-friendly.

Check Tunnel on Flume, too. I took my wife up and down that on the tandem. It was a ***** of a climb, and a steep, loose and fast descent. If she had been on her solo bike, she wouldn't have had a good time in either direction. In-and-out from the meadow would be the better approach to Flume.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
e-bo-b said:
I'm taking my girl to North Lake next week, and I need some advice on easy to moderate trail rides around the basin. I know a lot of trails, but am terrible at gauging what's manageable for a newer rider.

She rides the regular loop at China Camp with ease, both from a skills and fitness standpoint, and aside from the Flume (which may or may not be ready by next week), where else should I take the hottie?

Thanks for the help!
I took my girlfriend on flume to red house to tahoe rim tral. She's not my girlfriend anymore.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Okie Dokie said:
Took my wife quite on her second ever mtn bike ride Mount Rose Meadows to TRT to Flume to Marlette Lake then back on Flume and down Tunnel Creek Road. Rented her a nice 5inch travel bike and she had a great time. Cleared way more stuff then I ever expected her too.
More proof that bikes these days ("trail bikes") allow just about anyone to ride any trail. I have a new name for them, Hero Bikes. Just kidding, kind of.

I vote for The Emigrant Trail as well for your girl. You can get some good milage on it and the trail is smooth, rolling with some nice meandering sections.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Flume from Spooner to Tunnel is way easier than Bench ride from Spooner.

I've taken a few noobs that don't bike, up Flume. While tough in some sections, and they just pushed their bikes, the payoff was great and memorable for them in a good way.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
iheartbicycles said:
I took my girlfriend on flume to red house to tahoe rim tral. She's not my girlfriend anymore.
I may need to keep this club in my bag in case it doesn't work out...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The thing is though that Flume has great views and all but if you are just doing it and nothing else it really is nothing more then that....a 4 mile double track with great views. Plus the crappy climb up from Spooner makes it even worse.

That is why I suggest either taking shuttle from Spooner lake to Mount Rose Meadows. Then TRT to Flume to Spooner. Has a bit of everything and you will feel at the end of it that you actually accomplished something but still had a great time.

If want more challenge cardiovascular then look to my earlier post about going around Marlette Lake.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Take the girlfriend and a picnic on the recreation trail that parallels the Truckee river. Starts in Tahoe City and (* I think *) you can ride as far as the Squaw Valley turn off.
Gentle down hill all the way from Tahoe City and not challenging (she won't leave you because you took her on this ride - see above posts).

Quite scenic and lots of bird watching ;) .

==marcus==

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Flume is absolutely ready, I rode it two weeks ago. Still a couple minor drifts on Spooner to Bench (rode it from Carson yesterday) but nothing to keep anyone from riding it.

Ride the TRT from the Meadows to the Flume, Marlette and back on the Flume to Sand Harbor. Enjoy a sandwich and a cold one on the deck at Sand Harbor then hope you arranged for a shuttle back. She'll LUV ya! :thumbsup:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=526555

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=521368

1 - 20 of 25 Posts