Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think a well prepared rider could go all hike a bike for that next half + mile to that big creek crossing at the start of the long traverse once you finally break out of the trees. Given the snowpack and the wind slab, I would not want to be post holing across that traverse. I did not intend to end up that high on the trail, I expected to ride only to the Rock Garden, so I wasn't really prepared for the alpine bike experience, so I turned around at the top of the highest stairs. It was a sweet descent back to the Rock Garden!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the fat bike is the right tool given how soft the trail is. One could use a summer bike w/ studs but the skinny tires would leave some deep ruts. However, the trail surface on Winner Creek proper is fine for a 2.5 or so. Go explore!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm planning on it for this weekend, and I'll bring the fat bike. Would have been my default choice anyway given that it's still February, but thanks for the confirmation. Looking forward to it.

·
sluice box
990 Posts
If your not skiing pow today, Upper Iditarod trail (off crow creek rd) and Winner creek to the hand tram is frozen and fast. Beaver Pond trail is the best it's been since the last thaw, some frozen over flow but a good ride if you are riding down valley.

·
Registered
68 Posts
THREAD REVIVE!!! Anyone know what the riding is like in Gwood right now? Was thinking about getting out of town for a day this weekend and hadn't pedaled around down there in a while.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,663 Posts
THREAD REVIVE!!! Anyone know what the riding is like in Gwood right now? Was thinking about getting out of town for a day this weekend and hadn't pedaled around down there in a while.
Doubt it's good, it's been real warm in Anchorage, that usually means warmer down in Gwood. They do have some new trails off of the 5K stuff, just a few miles, but plans for more eventually. I'd think with the warmer temps stuff will be real soupy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You were probably right. Ended up doing hillside Saturday and yutzing around town Sunday. I cant freakin wait to try out Jeffs whoop whoop in summer on my full suspension , was a blast even on my ICT. Had to break out the goretex yesterday though , it was pretty sloppy in town. That Belgian triple at turnagain brewing totally worth it though.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts