Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the extreme planning stages of building a bike. I read the buy or build thread and it changed my mind about what I want to do. It's a long ways off, I still have to buy a car, but I always get super antsy about stuff I want even if I know it might never happen.

Anyway, I'm looking to build a Trance X bike for around $1500 (if it's possible) that I plan to using for mostly XC and some racing. But, I would also like to learn of some comparable frames which could, hopefully, save me some money, or just help make my budget.

I'm looking at using a Reba fork, let me know of any other good components too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mr. DiCenso said:
I'm in the extreme planning stages of building a bike. I read the buy or build thread and it changed my mind about what I want to do. It's a long ways off, I still have to buy a car, but I always get super antsy about stuff I want even if I know it might never happen.

Anyway, I'm looking to build a Trance X bike for around $1500 (if it's possible) that I plan to using for mostly XC and some racing. But, I would also like to learn of some comparable frames which could, hopefully, save me some money, or just help make my budget.

I'm looking at using a Reba fork, let me know of any other good components too.

Thanks!
Ask around your lbs and look for a decent used hardtail for a couple hunded bucks and start riding now.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Piecing a bike together can be a good learning experience. I wouldnt settle on just one frame like the Trance. I would take a hard look at the Anthem as well as the Specialized Epic and Stumpjumper. For racing purposes and overall value I think the Anthem would be the best choice. If I was doing the build I would buy most of the stuff off Ebay unless I saw a killer deal for something new. I would build at the XT level or XTR if it was cheap enough. The frame along with a used Reba fork and a new set of mavic 717 XT wheels will set you back about $1000. When you buy the frame hopefully the seller includes the front derailleur and seat post. That will save you some money. You should be able to find some lightly used shifters, maybe some NOS Hayes Brakes and a lighly used XT 760 or 770 Crankset. I wouldnt cut corners on the crankset. Go with either XT, RF Deus, or maybe a used XTR 960, The XT 770 is a pretty good value new on Ebay. I have also seen some new RF Deus under $200. You can buy some used tires, seat, stem and handle bar and a cheap 970 cassette to finish your build.

Your local bike shop can do final build on your bike. They can get the spacers set up on the front crank and put all the cables on and dial everything it. It might go a little past $1500 but it can be done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.