Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
De-hijacking the other thread....

AndyN said:
Are there enough rides near Silver City to fill a 5 day gathering?

Cutting it back to 4 days might be better, and give everyone a day to recover. So my vote would be July 4,5,6,7.

I'll bring fireworks that we can ignite the forest with.
Tadpole Ridge and the Signal Peak Challenge route are two days, and are two rides I'm familiar with.

I'm sure there are at least two other rides - I will consult my Trails of The Gila reference manual.

We might also be able to get some help from the local trailhounds.

I would think of the 4th as a travel and set up day with a short and informal afternoon recon jaunt.

Thursday am - to be determined
Friday am - to be determined
Saturday am - Tadpole Ridge
Sunday am - Signal Peak Challenge course

There are also some unbike things to do and see, like the Cliff Dwellings.

Still just a rough idea to kick around - date is changeable (appears to conflict with a NMES event)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
So what are Tadpole Ridge and Signal Peak like?

Personally I'd be looking to do some pretty long rides, techy if possible although not required.

I think Smokin' Ray told us there were some pretty big rides around SC, maybe he would be willing to guide.

I'm flexible regarding dates, as long as I have a few weeks notice.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
AndyN said:
So what are Tadpole Ridge and Signal Peak like?
I dunno 'bout some pre-pubescent frog ridge, but the area at/around Signal Peak is awesome! There's readily accessable CDT portions, which are almost entirely rocks, loose, rideable - and fun! Lot's of camp spots, lots of other stuff, and SC is close by. The Signal Peak race hits some of the goods, and I've always vowed to go back and do more of THAT goodness.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
glenzx said:
I dunno 'bout some pre-pubescent frog ridge, but the area at/around Signal Peak is awesome! There's readily accessable CDT portions, which are almost entirely rocks, loose, rideable - and fun! Lot's of camp spots, lots of other stuff, and SC is close by. The Signal Peak race hits some of the goods, and I've always vowed to go back and do more of THAT goodness.
Well...chime in with your preferred dates then so we can get this ball rollin'.:)

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tadpole Ridge

Perhaps the following description ("borrowed" from Trails of the Gila, Bryan Thomas) will spark an itch that only the knobbies can scratch.

Attachments

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AndyN said:
Make it happen Dave, make it happen.:D
Oh, it's happening. Unless I hear some rumble about the date conflict soon, then that's the date it is.

I'll be there (with at least a couple of loopy bikers). Now it's up to whoever else is game enough to show up to see how big the party is.

.d.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's Official

Gila Goo Gah Gathering - July 4,5,6,7 and 8

We waited and complained all winter long about short days and cold weather.

Now summer is hot upon us, and it's time to think about mountains and cool
trees.

Plans are afoot for the weekend of July 7 and 8 (as well as July 4 ,5, and 6)
for some camping and bike exploraneering in the Gila.

The current plan is Tadpole Ridge on Sat the 7 and the Signal Peak Challenge on
Sun the 8th.

Also looking to do some other rides in the vicinity on the Thurs and Fri as
well.

Depending on who, how many, and hardcore quotient, we can put together other
rides as well.

And the fun doesn't stop at mountain biking. There is also road biking, hiking
and side trips to the Cliff Dwellings and Silver City fun spots as well.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
LCdaveH said:
Gila Goo Gah Gathering - July 4,5,6,7 and 8

We waited and complained all winter long about short days and cold weather.

Now summer is hot upon us, and it's time to think about mountains and cool
trees.

Plans are afoot for the weekend of July 7 and 8 (as well as July 4 ,5, and 6)
for some camping and bike exploraneering in the Gila.

The current plan is Tadpole Ridge on Sat the 7 and the Signal Peak Challenge on
Sun the 8th.

Also looking to do some other rides in the vicinity on the Thurs and Fri as
well.

Depending on who, how many, and hardcore quotient, we can put together other
rides as well.

And the fun doesn't stop at mountain biking. There is also road biking, hiking
and side trips to the Cliff Dwellings and Silver City fun spots as well.

Try advertising free t-shirts, socks, maybe water bottles at least. New Mexicans are suckers for free sh!t. I would drive anywhere for a free t-shirt:thumbsup:

JK...I'm in tentatively for Sat.-Sun. and possibly Friday. Can you Post up some camping locations, fees, reservations if necessary, etc.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
ok, this is what I get for not checking MTBR all weekend. I've got some major driving to do. =)

PHX to Durango(june30th-3rd) to Silver City(4th-8th) to PHX. and of course try to ride at points in between.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
brianc said:
ok, this is what I get for not checking MTBR all weekend. I've got some major driving to do. =)

PHX to Durango(june30th-3rd) to Silver City(4th-8th) to PHX. and of course try to ride at points in between.
Not sure I can swing all ends of your proposed adventure, but given a choice I'd like to hook up for the NM end of things. After living in AZ for 7 years it's about time I wander over for a taste of NM trails!

Holy crap! Silver City is only a 4.5 hour drive from my house in Phoenix! I'm so there....

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
DurtGurl said:
After living in AZ for 7 years it's about time I wander over for a taste of NM trails......... Silver City is only a 4.5 hour drive from my house in Phoenix! I'm so there....
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Geez... now I need to try and jockey some schedule / dates at home to try and make it on down.

Gila GITA Goo-Gah is ON, it'd seem. (does "gita" get pronounced "hee-tah" for this one? :D)

She's gonna venture out to our decidedly bass-ackward State!

I see some momentum building Dave - and with some pretty awesome folks. Brian and Kathleen? THIS has all the making of a wicked gathering! A whole lot of New Mexicans owe our PHX ambassador, queen of the hot tub and AZSF - a lot.

·
Basura Blanca
1,796 Posts
Yeah, pressure's on Dave; the Goddess of Gatherings is gonna be in the house! (j/k Kathleen, but Glen's right; several of us are in your debt for multiple AZSFs) I'm gonna make every effort to attend, and will consider bringing the family since we've got some old friends that live in Silver. Thanks Dave; looking forward to meeting you.
- Joe

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
brianc said:
I might be swining trough SF on the way down, so I hope you can find time to make it to SC.
I've already put it on the household "radar", so we'll see. I'm betting it'd be a late-night Friday drive down, ride sat/sun, and head back for a late return Sunday. I have a big vacation 2 weeks before - so I'm almost outta paid time off for the summer, darnitall!

As for SF - give a holler, and we could at least go get a bite to eat, if not do a quickie ride.

LMAO Joe! "Goddess of Gatherings" indeed. Kathleen was so nice some years ago now, that site unseen invited me to her bike palace and hooked me up with some epic ridies and great folks. I think that was when Paul B. had a family situation, and he had to bow out of guide duties at the time.

It's what really turned me into an mtbr.com super-dork! The network is large and full of fantastic bike nuts willing to go out of there way to help others. Joe, you included with the pimpin' camper trailer loan!

To those that have not met D.A.V.E. - you're in for a treat! Fokker is as much a goofball as he is cool, and truly is responsible for literally 1000's of happy racers - road and mountain. If he pulls THIS off as well - he should be nominated for some sort of honorary NM Dept. of Tourism Award!

I'll be the first to make the motion...

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
glenzx said:
LMAO Joe! "Goddess of Gatherings" indeed. Kathleen was so nice some years ago now, that site unseen invited me to her bike palace and hooked me up with some epic ridies and great folks......It's what really turned me into an mtbr.com super-dork! The network is large and full of fantastic bike nuts willing to go out of there way to help others.
I had no idea!!! Glen, you are indeed such an MTBR super dork and to think that I played a role in getting you there... I feel so empowered.

I look forward to seeing if this all pans out. New trails with old and new friends??? 'bout time for me to venture out. I have that whole week off so my time is flexible. I like the idea of riding big ol hairy technical and/or scenic trails on Thurs-Sat and maybe something not too ambitious on Sunday morning. I am in better shape than ever and can probably take whatever you New Mexicans dish out and shouldn't slow anyone down too much. My pups would be with me for the trip, so I'd hope we camp in an area where leaving them tied up while we ride is not an issue (no crowds, with shade). Open camps in Nat forests are fine by me... have trowel & solar shower, will travel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts