1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.gravitydropper.com/

http://www.maverickbike.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=123

http://www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com/amp.aspx

First the QR, then the Hite Rite. That's a long decade of stagnation. Well, there was the failed Power Post in there somewhere....

Anyway, a test of the 3 Gravity Dropper models, 2 Maverick offerings and the new All Mountain Post is in order.

What we need is someone like Chingon and the Team Sanchez fellas to test out, say, a 5" drop AMP on their daily rides. I've got my AMPs ordered and will compare to GD posts. I'll have to buy a Santa Cruz Nomad to test drive Maverick's new remote set up, but it is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Yeah, yeah, crutches, just like on the fly shifting, clipless pedals, disc brakes, suspension...... the "on the fly" remotely adjustable crutch, er, seat post is pretty dreamy as anyone who has ridden one knows.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Hey Sparrow,

Not to change the subject, but I've heard from CactusCorn that there's a fat tire festival out in the Black Hills. What are the dates for that, I'd like to make it back up to my old stomping grounds and do some riding.

happy trails...

squish

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Wilbur said:
Black Hills Fat Tire Festival will be happening May 25-28. Check out www.blackhillsfattirefestival.com for more information. Your old stomping grounds get better every week-I new I should have snapped a photo of this weeks new "Feature of the Week".
In just a few years it will rival the Sturges Bike Fest, I'm sure!

But really, thanks for the link, my buddy Bert is not keeping me informed and I almost planned an alternative vacation around that time.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
lidarman said:

But really, thanks for the link, my buddy Bert is not keeping me informed and I almost planned an alternative vacation around that time.
Mmmmm, the Sturgis Rally the one thing I really don't miss about the Hills. I love Harley's, but that many of them in one place is just deafening.

But I'm definatley gonna have to get out there, and look forward to seeing some of the other homers as well.

happy trails...

squish

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Is this the same product that posted prototypes here a few months ago? If so glad they changed their name... although AMP research might feel differently.:p
I'd like to see more detail on the post mech and at a picture of the handle bar lever.

Edit: is this the renamed GotBalls product?

·
Rides Uphill Slow
487 Posts
sparrow said:
http://www.gravitydropper.com/

http://www.maverickbike.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=123

http://www.precisioncyclingcomponents.com/amp.aspx

First the QR, then the Hite Rite. That's a long decade of stagnation. Well, there was the failed Power Post in there somewhere....

Anyway, a test of the 3 Gravity Dropper models, 2 Maverick offerings and the new All Mountain Post is in order.

What we need is someone like Chingon and the Team Sanchez fellas to test out, say, a 5" drop AMP on their daily rides. I've got my AMPs ordered and will compare to GD posts. I'll have to buy a Santa Cruz Nomad to test drive Maverick's new remote set up, but it is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Yeah, yeah, crutches, just like on the fly shifting, clipless pedals, disc brakes, suspension...... the "on the fly" remotely adjustable crutch, er, seat post is pretty dreamy as anyone who has ridden one knows.
I had a Maverick Speedball on my SC Heckler before I came over to the dark side, '06 RFX, and I've been missing it badly too. The one I had worked flawlessly and now I want a GD but the AMP post looks good too. Mav doens't make a 27.2 :mad: How does the price of the AMP All Mountain Post compare to the GD?

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
The Hookler said:
I had a Maverick Speedball on my SC Heckler before I came over to the dark side, '06 RFX, and I've been missing it badly too. The one I had worked flawlessly and now I want a GD but the AMP post looks good too. Mav doens't make a 27.2 :mad: How does the price of the AMP All Mountain Post compare to the GD?
I talked to Maverick a couple of months ago, and was told they are working on a 27.2 speedball, but they are at least a year away from bringing to market.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bikezilla said:
I'd like to see more detail on the post mech and at a picture of the handle bar lever.
Here are a few pics of the lever design that we settled on. The only difference is the production version will be anodized black.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
1. I see nothing on that website in regards to a 5" drop version. I didn't look that hard tho.

2. Awfully convenient how they elude posting the actual weight of the post, and more importantly...the ENTIRE system.

3. Fork makers ditched the fork boot a LONG time ago, why can't any of these post makers? I will not be defiling my bike with any product sporting a rubber or neoprene boot.

Please post the actual weight of the system and a 6 month review. That is all.

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
sparrow said:
The more you try to rationalize it, the more it makes me laugh.

You don't need a reason to have one of these crutches on your bike, Tim. Just enjoy it for what it is!

MC

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Sorry Aqua, but I would consider the Maverick post if it was in a 27.2, they are trick and appear to be less gadgety with the office chair style lever, no boot either Dusty!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
lidarman said:

Hey Rich, I'm considering this myself to hookup with CC and squish, we should roadtrip up there together if we both make it.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I have tried all 3 of these posts (non-remote version of the Maverick). But most of my ride time is on the GD. Overall I am a fan of the GD and AMP mechanical locking features vs. the mav hydraulic. I also can't run a mav on my current frame since it uses a 27.2mm post. Time will tell on durability. GD do have some weekness when really abused, but seem to work fine for the majority of users. I am waiting for the AMP to give it a longer test. I think it solves a lot of the issues that I have with the GD design.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
dscot420 said:
GD do have some weekness when really abused, but seem to work fine for the majority of users. I am waiting for the AMP to give it a longer test. I think it solves a lot of the issues that I have with the GD design.
That's the funny part, seeing all these broken GD's really makes you wonder about the users in general. If you can push a button to get the damn thing out of the way....then HOW is it possible to abuse the seatpost AT ALL??? :confused:

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
rroeder said:
Sorry Aqua, but I would consider the Maverick post if it was in a 27.2, they are trick and appear to be less gadgety with the office chair style lever, no boot either Dusty!
Gosh, I'm not sure that 3" of dropitude is worth $220. 4 would be good, 5 would be great!

I like the Speedball concept the best, no more wires & levers cluttering things up.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
FWIW, CrashTheDog's partner blew up his GD when it was down.
Either way, considering all the ppl coming off of bombproof Tompsons a new mindset needs to be established that you can't slam on a mech seatpost and expect it to hold up like a ridgid one... Or not until the mfgrs understand just how hard they're going to get riden.

A lot of ppl consider mech seatposts to be crutches but I think that is a very limited way of thinking. On my trails, I climb and decend in 5-minuet intervals... there simply is no time to stop and drop the seat... and nobody's going to wait around that often. I could see using a QR for sessions or after an hour long climb but I simply don't do that here.

OTOH with the crutchpost I raise and drop my seat almost as often as I shift gears, this keeps me in a stronger pedaling position for steep intense climbs and keeps me lower and more centered to rail tight corners and balance tricky near vert chutes & rollers.... and 25 yards after that I pop the seat back up for the next climb.

Before having a crutchpost I would simply compromise the seat position somewhere short of best climbing... and bend A LOT of seat rails.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.