Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know anything about Giant's own NRS shock? They're on all the NRS's in the UK. I'm thinking of getting a NRS that came from overseas and it has this shock but I know nothing about and can't seem to find much info on it. The seller offered me the option of putting on a SID from a '03 NRS. This will be my first NRS so I dont want to screw it up. Which one should I go for? Who actually builds the Giant NRS shock?
Thanks for any info! If I could figure out how to post a picture I would show you what it looks like.
pete

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
You bet...

peterg7 said:
Does anyone know anything about Giant's own NRS shock? They're on all the NRS's in the UK. I'm thinking of getting a NRS that came from overseas and it has this shock but I know nothing about and can't seem to find much info on it. The seller offered me the option of putting on a SID from a '03 NRS. This will be my first NRS so I dont want to screw it up. Which one should I go for? Who actually builds the Giant NRS shock?
Thanks for any info! If I could figure out how to post a picture I would show you what it looks like.
pete
Hopefully Rene (warp2003) will find this thread, he knows all!

I assume you're talking about the HV coil over? I had one on my Warp and it worked great but recently leaked some pressure so I swapped it with a Fox Vanilla coil over which looks dang near identical. Even the spring swapped cleanly.

The factory HV actually works pretty well once you get it tuned, mostly with the right spring weight and preload.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask. As for the Sid, I guess that would be personal preference. I can't remember if the Sid is air or not but if you want to shave some weight off that might be a good option (also depending on your weight) otherwise the factory HV shock is pretty good for general XC riding.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Thanks for the props Bob... but I'm wondering just the same as I'd like to get some info about the internals and stuff....

But the Giant shock used on the NRS is an air one. I haven't even seen one from close.

Sorry for not being useful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem. I bought nrs frame with nrs air shock but I can't find any info on what is the recommended PSI, how to set rebound etc. Giant has no such info on its web page - they only inform about other shocks they use - rockshocx and fox float ava. Can anybody help where to find weight / psi table?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recently I got my '04 NRS3 frame replaced with a '03 NRS Air frame under warranty.
The NRS3 had the new NRS shock and the NRS Air a SID.
I tried the SID and compared to the NRS shock it felt more responsive, but I couldn't get it sag-free under max. pressure.
So I went back to the NRS shock which has a larger internal volume and therefore needs less pressure (SID would still sag at 250psi and now I'm running 190psi in the NRS shock).
The NRS shock is easier to maintain because of the missing negative air chamber.

If I was a lightweight (approx. 75Kg) I'd go with the SID because of the responsiveness but as a fat bastard I prefer the NRS shock.

and yes, like MartinX said... setting up the NRS shock is dead easy, just add pressure untill the shock doesn't compress when you sit on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.