Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was thinking about picking up a new giant frame and was just curious what their warranty is on frames (from wheelworld or the other places that sell them)?

I'm looking into the Reign line.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
spunger said:
Hey guys,

I was thinking about picking up a new giant frame and was just curious what their warranty is on frames (from wheelworld or the other places that sell them)?

I'm looking into the Reign line.
I know they have a lifetime warranty - With the proof of purchase, you covered.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah wouldn't think about painting anything.

I was thinking since my current frame cracked to invest in something that's a 6" frame and pick up a new fork (like a 36 VAN RC2 or Talas RC2). Since I've seen the Reign frames for cheap ($399) but I'd have to drive a couple of hours each way to pick it up it's still a cheap deal for something of that caliber. I figured if the warranty is good then it's a good deal. I have local Giant dealers here but I doubt they'll match Wheelworld in anything.

I could go with alot of options.......Enduro SX trail and fork but jesus that'd be pretty expensive ($2500) or somewhere abouts.

Maybe I should wait until someplace like Performance gets rid of their 2006 line right before the 2007's come out and see what kind of deal can be had.

·
In exile
542 Posts
I haven't ridden the 05 Reign, Chris, but I really like my 06. I think they stiffened them up for 06, but I don't know how much. Is this just going to be a trail bike? I don't think the Reign is as huckable as some might think.

That said, I am really liking mine with a Z1 Light on it.

About warranty - I have seen people say that the frame has a 5 year warranty, but everything I have read leads me to believe it's lifetime. Their warranty dept rocks, so you could just call Giant, ask for warranty, and ask for Mike. He's been more than helpful for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah no dropss/freeriding for me. Just a bike that I can use to do it all short of DH. I have a bike for that :)

My cortina bit the dust and it was a 4" travel frame. That was back when 4" was "freeride". I was thinking I could get away with a 6" travel sorta do-it-all bike like the Reign or Enduro type of frame. I figured if I matched it up with a 5-6" travel fork that'd be a pretty balanced deal.

That's good to know on their warranty. I have also read 5 years somewhere but maybe company's figure 5 years is pretty much lifetime? I dunno, I'd like to see lifetime over 5 years :)

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Giant has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. It used to be 5 year, but they started lifetime a few years ago. I'm not real sure about frames ordered over the internet--normally Giant requires their bikes to be purchased in the store. Before ordering online, I would call them and make certain you will be receiving a warranty with it.

And Giant is usually really good handling warranty issues. I cracked a frame once and had a new frame within a week.

I have a 36 Vanilla on my '05 Reign. Great fork. Lack of travel adjustment and taller a2c does make it a little trickier on the climbs. took me a little while to figure out how to keep the weight balanced to keep the front wheel down while maintaining rear wheel traction.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jwiffle said:
Giant has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. It used to be 5 year, but they started lifetime a few years ago. I'm not real sure about frames ordered over the internet--normally Giant requires their bikes to be purchased in the store. Before ordering online, I would call them and make certain you will be receiving a warranty with it.

And Giant is usually really good handling warranty issues. I cracked a frame once and had a new frame within a week.

I have a 36 Vanilla on my '05 Reign. Great fork. Lack of travel adjustment and taller a2c does make it a little trickier on the climbs. took me a little while to figure out how to keep the weight balanced to keep the front wheel down while maintaining rear wheel traction.
Well say Wheelworld........they won't sell you the frame online, it must be picked up in their store (same with Specialized stuff) so I'm assuming they have something worked out with that stuff? I know it's only a $400 frame but still.....I think they must be authorized of some sort.

I was thinking something like a VAN36 RC2 or the TALAS RC2. I like the idea of being able to adjust the travel, but also like the coil feel. That is a long shot, but my idea :)

How are the pivots/bearings and such on Giants? Their suspension design looks pretty simple (not too many moving parts) and the IS headset I dunno about (can't use my King) but otherwise it seems like a solid frame.

·
In exile
542 Posts
Most mfgs close out old models, so I am sure WheelWorld just snatched them up. Makes good sense. They will likely make $50 or $100 for it. Even if it's $25 they don't do anything to them to sell them.

Some people had some routing woes, but a little common sense and not caring about using a zip tie here and there and you'll be fine. I shuttled mine in AR and it was awesome. I also rode a little techy XC and it was great. My rides have lots of climbing. In all but super steep conditions, I don't lock the fork down. I do, on occasion, use the ETA.

I have had Cane Creek ZS2s on a ton of bikes. The FSA that came with it is on my STP, but it's had no issues. Never a problem and races are easy to come by. I've had no issues since Feb with my bearings or pivots.

I personally think it's foolish to not strongly consider it. Just make sure you really pay attention to TT length on the Cortina and get a close match. I got the 20" frame, as it was closest to my Haro X2, and it is almost perfect with a 70mm stem. I can't offer advice, as I don't know how you ride, or what you like, but a longer TT was better for me. Like I said, it was great for DH and it does well in tights for such a long wheelbase.

I am 5'11" or so for reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.