Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on which would be better for racing? Both are very light and have a similar suspension (Maestro and VPP) but the the Anthem is 3.5" of rear susp. travel and the blur is 4.5". Any thoughts or experience on riding either would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No opinons eh? Well it appears there a number of peps who looked at this thread so if anyone has any opinions it would be great! thanks

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Tough call... depending on what you "value" or like, and maybe on the terrain too. I was at the Norba Sugar Mtn race a while back and saw lots of Anthems, so they are making an impact on the racing scene. I didn't see any Blur XC's, but wasn't looking for them either... perhaps there were just as many, I dunno.

I don't quite understand why SC would put 4.5" of travel on a true XC race bike. Maybe if the trails you're riding on are exceptionally rough this would be good. And maybe the extra travel would be good to have on long distance marathon races and general trail riding.

Here's a couple things to consider...
- frame warranty (are they the same?)
- rider weight limit for either frame?
- do you simply prefer having a boutique frame (doesn't sound like it matters too much to you)
- frame geometry and how you fit it
- build kit (simply buy an Anthem 1, 2, or 3 or custom build the Blur? is the Blur already built up?)
- which do you like better (maybe nonsense to some, but important to me)
- how do the local dealers of these bikes compare? all things equal, buy the bike you like best from the shop you like best.
- customer service reputation of each company in case you have problems

Personally, I'm really liking the new Giant bikes. The first time I saw an Anthem 1 I was drooling... maybe it was the color, maybe it was the new Maestro suspension and the cool "sculpted" shock link (looks sculpted to me), whatever it was I liked it.

For the record, I have never ridden either... I have a Haro single pivot XLS R7 and an Intense Spider (sort of close to the Blur XC though).

·
Dagenham Dave
248 Posts
Anthem all the way!

1-bar said:
Any opinions on which would be better for racing? Both are very light and have a similar suspension (Maestro and VPP) but the the Anthem is 3.5" of rear susp. travel and the blur is 4.5". Any thoughts or experience on riding either would be appreciated.
I have an Anthem 1 custom build (2006) with full XTR and had a 2006 Trek Top Fuel 110 (with full XTR and REBA World Cup forks). The Anthem shits on the Top Fuel!

I have just purchased another Anthem 1 frame (sexy blue) and transplanted all my Top Fuel components onto it, and am gonna sell the Trek frame.

The Anthem is fantastic. Believe the hype! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok sounds great... I'm considering both building a frame and or buying an Anthem 1. MBA seems to really like the Blur which was the only reason I was asking for input. It seems that the blur with 4.5" of travel may be a better all around bike, where as the anthem certainly seems more dedicated for racing.

As for racing, I'm new to the racing seen and I'm thinking about breaking it in on an Xtrerra Mini Tri and go from there. Weight on both of them seem to be about the same, so that doesn't seem to be that much of a concern. Price on the other hand seems to be much better on the Anthem.

For you anthem riders, do you feel that the suspension is pretty active considering how efficient it is? There seems to be a fine line between efficiency and lack of suspension complaince which I believe is the purpose of having full suspension.

·
Dagenham Dave
248 Posts
1-bar said:
ok sounds great... I'm considering both building a frame and or buying an Anthem 1. MBA seems to really like the Blur which was the only reason I was asking for input. It seems that the blur with 4.5" of travel may be a better all around bike, where as the anthem certainly seems more dedicated for racing.

As for racing, I'm new to the racing seen and I'm thinking about breaking it in on an Xtrerra Mini Tri and go from there. Weight on both of them seem to be about the same, so that doesn't seem to be that much of a concern. Price on the other hand seems to be much better on the Anthem.

For you anthem riders, do you feel that the suspension is pretty active considering how efficient it is? There seems to be a fine line between efficiency and lack of suspension complaince which I believe is the purpose of having full suspension.
I LOVE the anthem for racing and general XC trail riding with my mates (where I smoke 'em!) ;)

The other day, I raced a very bumpy course that I had only previously raced on a hard-tail, and was amazed and how compliant the Anthem was. I was able to pedal seated with heaps more efficiently.

I like the feel of the Anthem (coming from a hard-tail background), because it still feels like a hard-tail when you are climbing and stomping on the pedals, but it takes the edge off seated bumps, drops, and bunny-hops. You still need to ride it with finesse though. :)

I have never ridden a long travel "all mountain" bike, so I can't really compare. But from what I read, it's not the type of riding I wanna do. I love technical XC. I love long difficult climbs as much as the descents.

Both my Anthems are the 22" Anthem1 frame with XTR group-sets and 100mm front forks. My LBS was happy to build my first Anthem with XTR instead of SRAM (my personal preference) at very little cost penalty. And my newly acquired racing-only Anthem (I brought her home today :cool:) is just made up of my Trek Top Fuel components - XTR, REBA, Bontrager Race X Lite Tubeless Disc.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I could only get a disc specific Anthem frame

even though I asked about brake studs. So I run a disc on the rear, light V up front. It is my first FS, built it up myself-25.5 lbs. I hope to have it under 24 lbs next year.I did not get the stable platform manitou rear shock, just the s-type lockout-so for it to be plush on the bumpy flats, there is a little compression standing on climbs. If I run the rear shock at body weight (according to my pump), then no sag, stiff on climbs, but a little harsh on the bumpy flats.

3.5 in. is enough for racing/riding rooty trails with baby head rocks-IMHO

Never ridden a Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey 1 bar1! I am in the exact same dilemma. I am glad you wote this thread. I have been shopping this week for a new xc bike. I have narrowed it down to the Spider, the Blur XC and the Anthem. I am coming off an Intense 5.5 which i raced on all this season and didn't do to bad. So i am familiar with and love the VPP. I have ridden the blur and the Anthem and I have to say that I am leaning towards the Anthem. It has a steeper head and seat tube angle than the blur and spider, plus it just feels quicker and more nimble. Plus for racing 3.5" is all you need. I liked the blur but I felt like I was on my 5.5 but a little lighter. I think that the blur would be great if you have only one bike that you need to race and do long epic comfy rides with. But the Anthem seems like it would be the better all out racer. Anyway, my two cents worth. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just an update, I added an Anthem 1 to the stable. I really considered the Blur and the Intense Spyder but still choose the Anthem. Thanks for all your input guys. Look for my review of the anthem....

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
1-bar said:

MBA likes it? Well then...
Seriously, most people think that mag is heavily biased (advertising $$).

If you aren't 100% focused on XC racing, then as someone mentioned look at the Trance.

·
Registered
791 Posts
1-bar said:
just an update, I added an Anthem 1 to the stable. I really considered the Blur and the Intense Spyder but still choose the Anthem. Thanks for all your input guys. Look for my review of the anthem....
I just bought an '07 anthem 1 today myself. I won't have it until next week but I'll be watching this thread....maybe post after I get to ride/race it. I also considered the blur (spx) but the damn thing was just too expensive. The giant is big on value and the shop let me demo an '06 anthem 2 this week...I'm sold

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.