Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, had a question - i currently have a giant rincon 2004 model and have to replace the crank and axle n some other stuff and am looking at apporx A$200 do get all this done. so instead of spendin this much on the rincon was considering buying a giant yukon fx for A$730 brand new. what do u think? any info would be much appreciated, thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
if you only need to replace the crank and BB, i say go learn how to do it yourself. It only costs $50-60 to buy Deore Hollowtech cranks with the shimano compatible bottom bracket on ebay.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Why the Yukon FX?

If your intention is to scrap the current bike and spend ~$700 on something new, I'd buy a good hardtail. Nothing against the Yukon FX, but it's a low end full suspension rig and your money is better spent on a hardtail in that price range.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
If your intention is to scrap the current bike and spend ~$700 on something new, I'd buy a good hardtail. Nothing against the Yukon FX, but it's a low end full suspension rig and your money is better spent on a hardtail in that price range.

Bob
why the yukon fx?

because my local store has it for A$700 and it seems like a good beginner/intermediate bike, and i dont wanna spend any more than A$700 on it. im new to the whole scene so wasnt to sure what to do.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I remember the Yukon FX got a pretty good review in one of the mtb mags (AMB or MBA). It's a great buy for $700, but consider it will be heavier (probably) and require more maintenance than your HT (or compared to an equivalently priced HT). By maintenance I mean regular shock servicing, and probably having to replace shock bushings once a year (about $55).

Depends what sort of riding you're into, for the price of an Alias you could probably get an '08 Talon which would make a great XC bike, do some bargaining if you can find an '08 model in your size as the '09's are now coming out.

Honestly though I probably wouldn't get the Yukon FX unless you plan on getting a better fork for the front at some stage (something like an Air Tora), the Dart just wouldn't do it justice. So in reality if your heart is set on a dually I'd save up and get something better. After all you've started out on a Rincorn, so you're probably ready for the next step - get a $1000 HT or save about $1800 for a decent entry level dually (unless of course you look 2nd hand). In my opinion with the FX you're getting a dually but component quality level probably isn't much better than your current bike. For 2nd hand bikes check out the forums on www.farkin.net or www.mtbdirt.com.au if you're in Brizzy.

I would seriously look at the '08 Talon especially if you can get it for a song.
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/mountain/1130/28947/

Otherwise 2nd choice is the '08 or '09 Alias, the '09 has a better fork, the '08 has Sram drivetrain. I brought the '07 Alias for my husband (but he doesn't ride it so it's mine), it's a really decent bike in regards to components, the Dart was a bit stiff for my liking but it did seem to work off road. I already had a Tora 318 Air off my old bike so I put that on it, with that change alone I think it brings it to XTC territory in regards to ride.

Happy shopping. I think it makes sense for you to buy a whole new bike, the Rincorn could be upgraded but to get it up to say Alias / Talon level it would cost a lot more than just buying something new. Your other option would be to pick up a better crank set 2nd hand (off Farkin), to take you through until you can afford something better.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
If you don't mind an extra pound or two, get the Yukon FX. It's a solid bike. As far as extra maintenance, you will have to replace bearings for the linkage in a couple of years as well as a shock bushing depending on how much you ride, but even with a hardtail you are looking at new fork bushings and oil changes even more frequently. Also, the Dart forks work very well for their price. I'm not positive, but I believe that the internals are very similar to those used in Toras and others. They aren't super light, but they work well. Give the Yukon a try, and if it doesn't feel right, then look for a solid hardtail, like the XTC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.