Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was all set to buy the F600 but some of the reading I've done lately has caused me to reconsider. The Cdale F600 will run about 1100, the Giant XTC about 1000, and the Stumpy will be about 1200. All are '06's. All the bikes are right around the same price point. I'm looking for a lightweight XC bike for trailriding in FL. The most important thing to me is the frame and fork... I will not be doing any huge drops, jumps, etc. I'll use it at places like Alafia & Northport. I'm 200lbs.

Here are the things that concern me about each bike:

XTC - From what I've read it has an integrated headset. I'm not sure how bad of a thing this is. From what I've read, I know integrated head sets aren't good.

Stumpy - I don't know as much about the stumpy as I do the other two. As of yet I can't really find anything bad. It does seem to use more Shimano than SRAM (like the Cdale) Tell me of some!

F600 - Proprietary parts, Head Shok (non standard), requires the use of conversion parts to use a standard fork. You get less for your $.

Someone help me solve this dilemma!!! I need more pro's or con's to any of the above 3.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
I may be way off, but i belive all the bikes you mentioned have 'intergrated headsets'.

It is not really a bad thing, as the ones on these bikes are really just sealed bearing headsets with 'zero stack' headset cups (meaning where the bearings are held in place, are within the headtube area).

I still don't like the whole idea, as it is harder to 'upgrade' the headset in the futre, but at the same time, i have NEVER had a problem with the headset on my giant XTC, nor on my NRS (a little too new to really tell), or my cannondale roadie, which all run FSA 'intergrated/zero stack' headsets.

All bikes are good bikes, get the one which feels the most comfortable or that you feel most at home on:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
For $1200 I think you're talking about the Specialized FSR XC -- not the stumpjumper. The '06 stumpjumper starts at $2000.

The FSR XC is a good entry level FS bike, but it's a bit heavy and it uses lesser known shocks and has v-brakes. Most people think the XC disc is the best value with upgraded shocks and mechanical disc brakes for $1500 MSRP.

The Horst suspension on the Specialized bikes is very well regarded, but many people think that Giant is offering the most bike for the money these days. The Maestro suspension has been well received (not sure if it's on the XTC), even if their bikes are a bit heavy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
walkman said:
For $1200 I think you're talking about the Specialized FSR XC -- not the stumpjumper. The '06 stumpjumper starts at $2000.

The FSR XC is a good entry level FS bike, but it's a bit heavy and it uses lesser known shocks and has v-brakes.
The bike retails for $1400. If you go to the Spec site, then bikes -> mountain -> Stumpjumper -> then the model that retails for $1400, which they list as the Stumpjumper. Is that the FSR XC?

walkman said:
Most people think the XC disc is the best value with upgraded shocks and mechanical disc brakes for $1500 MSRP.
Is the disk one you are referring too the one on the same page that retails for $1600?

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
I think the choices are all hardtails. right?

If so, Go with the stumpy. I've been riding an 03 stumpy for around a year now and its a real blast. Its very light and pretty stiff at the BB area, making it a really quick and perky pedaler. Steering is quick and very racy. And the build quality is simply a notch higher than the giant and c-dale. My only issue is the rear tire clearance. If you usually ride very muddy trails (the kind of mud which sticks to your wheels), then be prepared to run 2.00 or less with narrow casing. Otherwise, when the mud packs up, you'll be stalling. My stumpy now has bare aluminum in the areas where the mud has scraped off the paint. Very minor gripe for an awesome ride.

I tried XTC's and they're pretty light and responsive as well, but the geometry and standover were not as spot on as the stumpy.

The c-dale, well... It uses a lot of cannondale only parts (headset, headshok, lefty, whatever). Its hard to upgrade to other manufacturer's parts.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
And the build quality is simply a notch higher than the giant and c-dale.
I am going to disagree with this... what do you mean by this? I think you will find alot of the specialized bikes come out of Giant factories or very similiar places. And cannondale bikes are probably even a notch higher with being built in the US and the way the welds are usually filled off and such.

ALl the bikes mentioned are all very high quality and you can't go wrong with any of them:)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
f-600 FOR SURE.

RossinFL said:
I was all set to buy the F600 but some of the reading I've done lately has caused me to reconsider. The Cdale F600 will run about 1100, the Giant XTC about 1000, and the Stumpy will be about 1200. All are '06's. All the bikes are right around the same price point. I'm looking for a lightweight XC bike for trailriding in FL. The most important thing to me is the frame and fork... I will not be doing any huge drops, jumps, etc. I'll use it at places like Alafia & Northport. I'm 200lbs.

XTC - From what I've read it has an integrated headset. I'm not sure how bad of a thing this is. From what I've read, I know integrated head sets aren't good.

Stumpy - I don't know as much about the stumpy as I do the other two. As of yet I can't really find anything bad. It does seem to use more Shimano than SRAM (like the Cdale) Tell me of some!

F600 - Proprietary parts, Head Shok (non standard), requires the use of conversion parts to use a standard fork. You get less for your $.

Someone help me solve this dilemma!!! I need more pro's or con's to any of the above 3.
You said that your prioity is the frame and fork, right? The Headshock is an awesome fork, with a new cartridge giving a rebound adjuster and a lockout to beat all lockouts. THe steering precision of the headshock is something that has to be ridden to understand.

You can run anything from a headshock, to a Lefty, to any standard fork on the frame. You can use adaptors, or just get a reducing headset from FSA, Cane Creek, or Woodman.

My picks, in order, are the F600, the Stumpjumper, and the XTC.

·
Registered
465 Posts
second the F600

RossinFL said:

im with damion. i have an 05 F600 and it is i a fantastic bike. the head shox (05) is percise and responsive. You can not get a better fork/frame combo for the money. yeah some of the other part specs are less than fantastic (specifically the crank) but you can upgrade them as they wear out. And the option to go to a lefty = : )

·
Registered
133 Posts
Personaly i like specialized but some of there bikes you end up paying a lot for "just the name", now im just about to purchase an 03 specialized rockhopper fsr xc which is a great bang for the buck. But in this line up here are my choices in order. Giant, Cannondale, specialized. But, and im sure you know, the cannondale only gets 80 mm not enough for my taste but its handeling is great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.