Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys, I just bought an 02 Giant XtC with xt/xtr components, thomson stem, crossmax... and i was wondering if anyone is currently riding one and what they think of it.... also, how does it compare to attitudes and homegrowns? i test rode a 04 attitude xv and the ride was sooo smooth. but i was not about to fork out 2000 bucks for a hardtail, so i ended up with a fuel95. but i wanted a competent hardtail that wasn't so expensive, so i opted for a used high-end hardtail for less $$$. comments please.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
synkronized23 said:
but i was not about to fork out 2000 bucks for a hardtail, so i ended up with a fuel95. but i wanted a competent hardtail that wasn't so expensive, so i opted for a used high-end hardtail for less $$$. comments please.
meaning i bought the fuel95 but i ALSO wanted a hardtail cos both have their goods and bads, so i bought the used XtC as well.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
synkronized23 said:
meaning i bought the fuel95 but i ALSO wanted a hardtail cos both have their goods and bads, so i bought the used XtC as well.
IS there a question to this post?!
If not, then..... Lets see some pics!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bike_freak said:
IS there a question to this post?!
If not, then..... Lets see some pics!
Actually, I was curious about people's experiences with their Giant XtC? Also, how does it compare to the Attitude and Homegrown.. But heck, here are some pics. The Fuel is at my place here in Singapore, but the Giant is a pic from the previous owner. It's on it's way to my lbs at Exeter, NH. I go to prep school there. I'm also flying my Fuel back with me next Sunday. The Fuel is stock (full xt, racelite stem, bontrager race disc specific wheels) plus 2004 RS Duke Race, Chris King Headset, Thomson Seatpost and Selle Italia Titanium Gel Flite. The XtC has full older xt/xtr, LP carbon riser, crossmax wheels(2002), thomson stem... and that's my friend and i with our bikes.

Attachments

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
synkronized23 said:
Actually, I was curious about people's experiences with their Giant XtC? Also, how does it compare to the Attitude and Homegrown.. But heck, here are some pics. The Fuel is at my place here in Singapore, but the Giant is a pic from the previous owner. It's on it's way to my lbs at Exeter, NH. I go to prep school there. I'm also flying my Fuel back with me next Sunday. The Fuel is stock (full xt, racelite stem, bontrager race disc specific wheels) plus 2004 RS Duke Race, Chris King Headset, Thomson Seatpost and Selle Italia Titanium Gel Flite. The XtC has full older xt/xtr, LP carbon riser, crossmax wheels(2002), thomson stem... and that's my friend and i with our bikes.
Very nice bikes!
No experience with the homegrown but I do like my XTC. It is light as hell, but as most Alu hardtails, it isn't the most forgiving ride....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bike_freak said:
Very nice bikes!
No experience with the homegrown but I do like my XTC. It is light as hell, but as most Alu hardtails, it isn't the most forgiving ride....
how is its stiffness while hammering and on the climbs? is there any lateral flex at all? also, how does it compare to other hardtails that you have ridden?

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
synkronized23 said:
how is its stiffness while hammering and on the climbs? is there any lateral flex at all? also, how does it compare to other hardtails that you have ridden?
Quite snappy, but I am light and really can't flex a frame much.
I'm sure you will be happy with your new bikes:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bike_freak said:
Quite snappy, but I am light and really can't flex a frame much.
I'm sure you will be happy with your new bikes:)
Thanks. Just curious, how heavy is your XtC? The guy told me that he thinks mine is around 23lbs. Still quite weighty.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
synkronized23 said:
Thanks. Just curious, how heavy is your XtC? The guy told me that he thinks mine is around 23lbs. Still quite weighty.
I believe mine is about 24-25 with Heavy ass Forks(duke XC u-turns) and cheap Hayes disk brakes.
Will be down to low 23 maybe even 22's by next year.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bike_freak said:
I believe mine is about 24-25 with Heavy ass Forks(duke XC u-turns) and cheap Hayes disk brakes.
Will be down to low 23 maybe even 22's by next year.
Cool. Anyone else with XtCs or attitudes or homegrowns? come on i'm sure there are tons of you guys out there.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have an 03 Attitude.

synkronized23 said:
Cool. Anyone else with XtCs or attitudes or homegrowns? come on i'm sure there are tons of you guys out there.
And it climbs like a mountain goat on crack. Full XTR except cranks and it comes in at just under 20 lbs. Don't have any experience with any of other bikes you mentioned, but the Klein is very stiff under my weight (130 lbs. fully loaded with water and gear).

Duc

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
duc135 said:
And it climbs like a mountain goat on crack. Full XTR except cranks and it comes in at just under 20 lbs. Don't have any experience with any of other bikes you mentioned, but the Klein is very stiff under my weight (130 lbs. fully loaded with water and gear).

Duc
Wait, so you have a Klein Attitude or a Giant XtC? What wheelset are you using?

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
Hint, his header says 03 Attitude and he refers a second time to his Klein.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a custom spec'd 03 KLEIN ATTITUDE

synkronized23 said:
Wait, so you have a Klein Attitude or a Giant XtC? What wheelset are you using?
The wheels I use are Mavic X517 laced to Chris Hing Hubs with DT Swiss Revolutions.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
duc135 said:
The wheels I use are Mavic X517 laced to Chris Hing Hubs with DT Swiss Revolutions.
Very nice. What're the rest of the specs of your attitude? I really really liked the 04 Attitude XV. The ride was seriously one of the smoothest and stiffest i've ever ridden. But I couldn't justify spending that kinda money on a hardtail when i could top it up a bit more and get the same specs on a full-sus. It was also like 400 bucks more than the 8500, but if i was in the market for a new hardtail, it would definitely be on the top of my list. How much did you get the frame only for?

·
Registered
379 Posts
synkronized23 said:
Very nice. What're the rest of the specs of your attitude? I really really liked the 04 Attitude XV. The ride was seriously one of the smoothest and stiffest i've ever ridden. But I couldn't justify spending that kinda money on a hardtail when i could top it up a bit more and get the same specs on a full-sus. It was also like 400 bucks more than the 8500, but if i was in the market for a new hardtail, it would definitely be on the top of my list. How much did you get the frame only for?
Full XTR except cranks which are RaceFace Next LP with CB Candy Ti peddles. Rock Shox SID SL forks, RaceFace Deus stem and Ritchey handlebars. The frame was actually given to me so it cost nothing, just had to supply the parts.

All these cool light parts and I still ride about as fast as a molasses in January. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts