Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Coiler pretty much the same class of bike that the VT is? I know the VT is a combo xc and freeride ... would you consider the Kona Coiler for the same use?

I can't really decide which way to go ... oh .. and I am also thinking about a Trek liquid.

Thanx in advance,

ff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Mate,

In terms of purpose I'd say there's not much to separate either bike. However in terms of use, for XC at least, the VT wins out. Its significantly lighter than the coiler and as a result climbs superbly.

I was recently in the same position with my list of possible bikes narrowed down to the VT, Colier and Liquid. I had a bias toward Kona having had excellent experience with the brand in the past. But the excess fat killed my ambitions for Kona and compared to the VT the liquid simply didn't impress.

For my XC style of riding the VT is awesome and continues to amaze and inspire me with every ride. :D

... Av.

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
I was in the same boat. Wanted a 5" front and rear travel bike that could take hits and still be pedalled uphill. Looked at the Specialized enduro, Kona, and Liquid, but the VT won out for the price and the part spec as well as having a little better xc geometry.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Capt_phun said:
I was in the same boat. Wanted a 5" front and rear travel bike that could take hits and still be pedalled uphill. Looked at the Specialized enduro, Kona, and Liquid, but the VT won out for the price and the part spec as well as having a little better xc geometry.
ditto!

light, big travel, no bob, cheapest of the lot

where's the comparison?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
I have ridden a Kona Coiler and a Giant VT1 and I have to say they are not that similar in ride qualities.

The Coiler is more freeride like than a VT. The Coiler’s ride is more similar to a Giant AC. More sag and better set up for big hits, drops and jumping than the VT. The VT’s strong points are better climbing and more nimble than the Coiler.

I would much rather climb on the VT. On the way down, it depends on the terrain.

They are both nice bikes, but they are different. If you are pretty hard on stuff, I'd go for the coiler. If you can pick good lines and are not into large drops, the VT can haul butt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe a VT2 or VT1 but don't touch a VT3

fanfare said:
Is the Coiler pretty much the same class of bike that the VT is? I know the VT is a combo xc and freeride ... would you consider the Kona Coiler for the same use?

I can't really decide which way to go ... oh .. and I am also thinking about a Trek liquid.

Thanx in advance,

ff
Maybe a VT2 or VT1 but don't touch a VT3. The components suck big time. I eventually sold mine and bought an AC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
wotzapollohimalaya said:
what was wrong with the components?

the only things i found needed changing were the tyres, seat and seatpost

nothin' drastic
Tires suck.
Mech brakes were flaky.
The fork is not suitable for anyone over 50kgs. It simply could not pedal without major bob and bottoms out all the time.

There is no point upgrading any components. I would rather save the cash and buy a VT1, switch sl or heckler/blur.

I enjoyed the bike, but felt it was better to sell the whole bike and buy a new bike than upgrade the fork.

S

·
Registered
178 Posts
fair enuff...

i bought a stiff spring kit, which i should've optioned at the start... A$60 and no probs with the fork

no issues with bob... but then, i'm more of an enduro rider rather than a racer

you mention a heckler/blur.... how much are they compared to a VT3?

my VT3 cost me $2250... very good for the $$

if i had the $$, i would've definitely gone for a heckler

·
Registered
367 Posts
At $2250 I think you can get a Heckler, no? But you might want to check on the kit. Personally, I wouldnt worry about the kit for that price level, though. The frame itself is more important. If you want to step up, I would suggest the Shimano XT groupset (or SRAM/AVID in equivalent).
Also, I don't think that Heckler is better than VT. I did test both SC Heckler & VT2 a few days ago.
To me, the Hecker, with the Fox shock, didnt pedal as smooth as the VT (am I stepping into some minesland?). The rear triangle kinda 'rattles' to my pedaling, just like the Blur (although the Blur has VPP, I strongly believe my brain that 'bob' still exist).
Sure SC are made in the U.S.A, higher profile, but then Giant is a big company, with HUGE R&D. To me, that counts (a lot) more than the 'Made in the U.S.A' badge. Hope that can ease up your choice :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
thanks... but i am happy with my giant anyway

my brother is going for a santa cruz superlight and that is priced double what the VT3 is...

over here down under superlight is about $5,000

also, santa cruz is generally sold as a frame only

1 - 11 of 11 Posts