Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a 2004 Giant VT2 Frameset and transferring my components from my 2004 Fuel 95 over. I ride a large 19.5" Fuel, but the VT frame I was looking at comes in 18.5" and 20.5". I heard that VTs are pretty high bikes. I come in at 6' tall. Do you think the 18.5" VT would fit me fine? I am planning on getting a Thomson Setback post too.

I'm probably going to use my 4" Duke Race on the bike for at least a week or two first. However, I am planning to get a new fork to match the 5/5.75" travel. I was thinking of the Vanilla 130 RL. Is that a good fork to match the bike? The Minutes seem pretty expensive.

I've always liked Giants for their understatedness. =)

·
Registered
35 Posts
VT Sizing

The 18.5 is what I have and I am just under six foot without shoes. It fits me perfectly. Also, the seatpost is 30.8 or 27.2 with the shim that comes stock with the bike. Most VT owners have thrown the shim and run a 30.8 or .9. Be sure to post pics. I have no input about the fork.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fat Tyre Rider said:
The 18.5 is what I have and I am just under six foot without shoes. It fits me perfectly. Also, the seatpost is 30.8 or 27.2 with the shim that comes stock with the bike. Most VT owners have thrown the shim and run a 30.8 or .9. Be sure to post pics. I have no input about the fork.
Thanks for the reply. One more thing. What size is the Front Derailleur Clamp? Thanks.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
did you buy your frame from smartcycles.com?

I just bought the 18.5" VT2 frame off that site for $450. I made more than that selling some stuff on ebay last week so I figured what the hell? The funny thing is I already have a 04 Enduro Expert that I love, but I already have all the stock parts from a VT3 that my friend sold me (for 300 dollars including a reaceface crankset/bb, manitou black shock etc.). I remember I looked at the VT1 over a year ago and it was a close call between that bike and my Enduro.

So I am going to build this bike up too. Now I have the Enduro and a VT2 (with a specialized Enduro Expert stock wheelset). Two great bikes - or overkill - either way I'm pretty excited :cool:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jsnk1975 said:
I just bought the 18.5" VT2 frame off that site for $450. I made more than that selling some stuff on ebay last week so I figured what the hell? The funny thing is I already have a 04 Enduro Expert that I love, but I already have all the stock parts from a VT3 that my friend sold me (for 300 dollars including a reaceface crankset/bb, manitou black shock etc.). I remember I looked at the VT1 over a year ago and it was a close call between that bike and my Enduro.

So I am going to build this bike up too. Now I have the Enduro and a VT2 (with a specialized Enduro Expert stock wheelset). Two great bikes - or overkill - either way I'm pretty excited :cool:
Yea, I bought it from smartcycles.com on Wednesday. I'm expecting it to be here early next week. I'm building it up with stuff from my Fuel 95, which is full xt components, plus a new Manitou Minute 1 fork, new Answer Protaper Carbon Riser, and a Thomson seatpost. Then I'm gonna try to sell my Fuel 95 frameset with thomson seatpost, and my 2004 Duke Race fork to pay off this project cost. =) Post some pics when you build it up. I will.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
synkronized23 said:
Yea, I bought it from smartcycles.com on Wednesday. I'm expecting it to be here early next week. I'm building it up with stuff from my Fuel 95, which is full xt components, plus a new Manitou Minute 1 fork, new Answer Protaper Carbon Riser, and a Thomson seatpost. Then I'm gonna try to sell my Fuel 95 frameset with thomson seatpost, and my 2004 Duke Race fork to pay off this project cost. =) Post some pics when you build it up. I will.
I will... I hope to have it built up by this weekend.

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
The front derailleur has a clamp size of 34.9.

I just bought an 04' VT2 frame set and swapped the componenets from my Giant Iguana. I am running a 4" fork and it feels great. I have the rear set at 5.7" (just feels more plush) and the bike set up is perfect for me. You may find that your current fork feels just fine on the VT2.

I am 6' tall and I am riding the 18.5". It feels great to me. It is a bit more upright than I am used to, but I preffer that for riding agressive XC. Honestly...the 20.5" and 18.5" will both fit you. I would go to Giant's website and take a close look at the geometry measurements. If you like the way you Fuel feels, see which size VT is closest to what you have.

My VT is an amazing bike...and I'm rather picky :)

Goodluck,
-Danimal

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my frame's in!

My frame just came in today. Here're some pics. It's gonna have Minute 1:00 up front, full xt drivetrain, answer protaper carbon os riser, thomson seatpost... Hoping to have it built up and rideable by end of this week, hopefully sooner. I'm psyched, moving from a 3" Fuel to 5"/5.75" VT.

Attachments

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
synkronized23 said:
My frame just came in today. Here're some pics. It's gonna have Minute 1:00 up front, full xt drivetrain, answer protaper carbon os riser, thomson seatpost... Hoping to have it built up and rideable by end of this week, hopefully sooner. I'm psyched, moving from a 3" Fuel to 5"/5.75" VT.
nice! no frame yet for me. i need to buy a front deralieur. 34.9" you say? guess its time to check out the specs on that thing.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
Front mech: Medium, Top Swing, Bottom Pull

Seatpost: w/shim 27.2, w/o Thompson 30.8 or 30.9

Fork: Behaves pretty well with a 120mm fork but can handle a 130mm
I am looking for a LX or XT front deraileur for this frame. Can anyone confirm sizing (or an item description) so I don't order the wrong thing? Liek this link for example:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12...himano-LX-Top-Swing-Front-Derailleur-M570.htm

would that work, do i need the top pull 1 1/8", or the 1 1/4"......sigh......please help a guy out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
For the front derailleur you need a TOP Swing, BOTTOM Pull, 34.9mm (1 3/8") clamp.

You can tell the swing of the derailluer by the model number. Model numbers ending in 0 are Top Swing, model numbers ending in 1 are bottom swing- i.e. M570 vs M571

Here is a XT front derailleur $30 delivered from Speedgoat

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=45063&cat=130&brand=226

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
VT no 1 2 or 3 said:
For the front derailleur you need a TOP Swing, BOTTOM Pull, 34.9mm (1 3/8") clamp.

You can tell the swing of the derailluer by the model number. Model numbers ending in 0 are Top Swing, model numbers ending in 1 are bottom swing- i.e. M570 vs M571

Here is a XT front derailleur $30 delivered from Speedgoat

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=45063&cat=130&brand=226
thx - i got a twin pull XT so that should work well. i also orderd some avid flak jacket cables - anyone ever used these? I got my frame yesterday as well!!!

there were a couple of deep scratches in one of the rocker arms (still not a big deal) and you could tell that a front deraileur and bottom bracket had been installed but the frame is still brand new so....for a second bike this thing is gonna get a lot of time on the trails.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
synkronized23 said:
awesome. mine should be built up completely by tomorrow evening. when are you building yours? what are you building it up with?
I am using some parts off an 04 VT3 - my friend sold them to me basically brand new.

front shock: Manitou Black Comp
crankset: Raceface Ride XC
front deraileur: XT
rear deraileur and shifters: either Sram X9, or X0's haven't decided yet - any suggestions?
seatpost : Thomson Elite 30.9
saddle: WTB SST
brakes: Avid Mechs with 6" rotors and FR1 levers
handlebar/stem : Easton EA50
wheels : mavic 223 rims, DT Swiss stainless spokes
front hub: Specialized Stout Disc w/ 9mm skraxle
back hub: Shimano M-525 disc
Tires: Panaracer Fire XC Pros
Grips: Odi's
cassette: LX or Sram PC 990

that's about it. :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
jsnk1975 said:
thx - i got a twin pull XT so that should work well.
Don't tell me- an M760 FD. Have fun getting it on- the cable fixing bolt will end up pointing directly into the swing arm- you will need a very short wrench and alot of patience to get the cable attached. I had one and tossed the SOB and picked up the M750- the cable fixing bolt is on top and easy to access.

Also remember that the M760 is designed for the new Hollow Tech II cranks with the 50mm chainline so it may not work well on a 47.5mm chainline.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
finally got the VT built

It took me a while but I got it built - the only problem is that I can't get the the SPV valve to hold more than 100 psi. I would like it set to about 150 (although the bob is still minimal set at 100). Any suggestions or did anyone else have this problem? The top chamber (where you set up sag) holds air much better than the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice bike!

Maybe try a different shock pump. The pump that came with my VT leaks air when filling the SPV, but works fine when filling the main air chamber. Also check the that the valve cores are tight and that the valve itself is not trying to back out of the shock body.

I did notice that you have excess brake cable on the front brake after the cable pinch bolt. I would shorten that excess to about half so that there is not a chance of it getting caught up in the rotor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.