Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into upgrading to a Giant VT frame in the near future. I will be swapping all of my components from my Iguana over to the new frame.

My current fork is a Manitou Six, converted to 100mm travel. I know that a 100mm fork will change the geometry (head angle, etc.) and the effects that this will have on handling on the VT.

Other than that, will I have a large problem only having 4" of travel in the front and 5" in the rear? Anyone have their Minute shock dialed down to 100mm on their VT?

I am a college kid on a very limited income so a new fork is out of the question (heck...the new frame pretty much is too...i'm so dumb)

Thanks,
-Danimal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Danimal said:
I am looking into upgrading to a Giant VT frame in the near future. I will be swapping all of my components from my Iguana over to the new frame.

My current fork is a Manitou Six, converted to 100mm travel. I know that a 100mm fork will change the geometry (head angle, etc.) and the effects that this will have on handling on the VT.

Other than that, will I have a large problem only having 4" of travel in the front and 5" in the rear? Anyone have their Minute shock dialed down to 100mm on their VT?

I am a college kid on a very limited income so a new fork is out of the question (heck...the new frame pretty much is too...i'm so dumb)

Thanks,
-Danimal
I had my Minute set at 100mm during 80% of my rides and it was no problem but it really depends on how you want to ride. As far as geometry - I prefer the way my VT rode with the fork set at 100mm rather than 130mm.

Good luck...

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I personally don't like the VT on the 5" setting but it might work for you based on sag. Remember that you'll have to set your rear shock and from the 5" you'll loose a bit on sag so 4 something on the rear and 4 on the front may work fine.

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome! that's for the replies guys.

I am by no means an aggresive rider, I shy away from the big hits and I only weight about 155#. we have a lot of winding, fast single track around here with quite a few rough spots and 1'-2' drops and that's what the bike will be for.

Now lets just hope my steerer isn't cut too short... Accordin to the geometry chart on Giants website...I'll be within 1/4" or so.

Thanks,
-Danimal

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
DiRt DeViL said:
What size is the frame, a 5" steerer tube will be enough for a small.
I'm going from a 17" Iguana (too small...top tube especially as I am 6' tall) to either an 18.5" or 20.5" VT.

While we are on the subject...anyone have any advice on fit? I think the 18.5" (M) will be perfect for me as the top-tube length looks good, but I like the longer seat tube of the 20.5".

I am going to have to take some spacers out and hopefully it will fit.

-Danimal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Danimal said:
I'm going from a 17" Iguana (too small...top tube especially as I am 6' tall) to either an 18.5" or 20.5" VT.

While we are on the subject...anyone have any advice on fit? I think the 18.5" (M) will be perfect for me as the top-tube length looks good, but I like the longer seat tube of the 20.5".

I am going to have to take some spacers out and hopefully it will fit.

-Danimal
I'm 6' tall and mine was an 18.5" and it fit like a glove! You're steerer tube may be a tad too short. My fork tube was 8 1/4" with an 1" or so of spacers.

·
Professional Nerd
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks for the info. If i go with the 18.5" frame, my fork will fit perfect, it is the 20.5" frame I'm worried about.

At 6' tall (maybe .5" under) I think the 18.5" will be perfect anyways.

Thanks,
-Danimal

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi danimal

AS far as the 100mm fork, In my opinion if didn't have my adjustable minute i would buy the 100mm fox float fork, because the 100mm gives great handling all round, if you put a 125 or 130mm on the bike tends to over steer on tight single track due to the shallower steering angle. You might loose a bit of high speed stability but for alround the 100 is the go IMO.

·
Registered
664 Posts

I'm 6'1". I bought the vt2 18.5 and it felt kind of cramped. I thought I had made a mistake until I took it out and rode it. It fit very nice once I was riding. If you are 6' I would definitely recommend the 18.5. It was a noticeable jump up to the 20.5". I just rode 21 miles on it yesterday and rode it as fast as I could. What a smooth comfortable bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.