Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't know the Giant, but I've had a Cake for some time. It's a really nice bike.

The Cake has plenty of travel and is very light. Just by looking at the Giant, I'm certain it's quite a bit heavier. The Cake handles more like a cross country racer and is fast. Plus, it comes with the better shock.

So in short, if I had to choose between these two, I'll go with the Cake.

·
blithering idiot
41 Posts
They are very different bikes

The Cake is probably the better bike partswise, although I would certainly choose the wheels on the VT over the Cake and the Avid mech brakes over the Hayes. The Cake had a mfg problem with the pivot bushings that produced a loose clanky bike, but GF will replace that free. The VT has bearings at all points, but I have gone through a few bearings on the dogbone part of the susp, replaced by Giant.

The Cake has more flex from side to side and is noticably lighter than the VT. They both have a fairly steady pedaling platform, though I prefer the VT. The VT seems to bob a little less in the saddle and certainly standing up.

The main difference in these bikes is the geometry. The VT is much more relaxed. It has more rear travel. The Cake will probably be a better CC bike, while the VT is much better doing some downhill.

If it makes any difference, the Cake is much easier to put on a "hang from the top tube" type of bike carrier. The VT is a pain in the ass. In fact, I would say you will be pissed if you don't have a fork or wheel type carrier. I was. I had to get a Yakima system.

·
blithering idiot
41 Posts
True thats the way to do it, or with a TT adapter. I would make sure that check to make sure it will fit on your rack first, at least. The TT racks with a big tube in the center with arms to grab the bike will almost certainly not fit.

I didn't like the way it hung, but that's certainly a personal choice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Cake is by far the better deal. Better parts spec, smoother frame design, LIFETIME WARRANTY, an american company that cares about it's costumers. And besides, you'd get the new frame design with the lowered top tube and the cables running along the bridge under the shock. I just bought my father the '05 Cake 3 with 4inches of travel and it is one sick bike. It looks so nice and rides even better, still under 30 pounds. So this is another vote saying you should go with the Cake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

Thanks for your input......

After reading the last post I noticed that the 2006 Gary Fisher Cakes have
the new frame with the lowered top tube ;)
That was the only thing I didn't like about the 2005 Cake and previous models.
The 2004 GIANT VT's had the dropped top tube but now I might as well wait a bit
and get the 2006 Gary Fisher Cake as I really like the Gary Fisher bikes.
Back in '97 I picked up a 1997 Gary Fisher BIG SUR.
I love my Big Sur but it's a hardtail and I been wating to get a full
suspension and disc brake bike badly.
I think I am going to wait a bit and save up to get the 2006 Cake 1
or if I can afford it I will pick up the Cake 1 DLX
as that is one bad looking toy.
I really like the black paint on the DLX, reminds me of my
1997 Big Sur because it is matte black!
I'm rebuilding my Big Sur right now so it's up on my prepstand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.