Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about switching it up.

My current ride is a 2017 Trance Advanced 0.

I'm very happy with its performance. Carbon, X01, light enough to be a good XC bike, tough enough with sufficient (150/140mm) travel for trail and mild enduro riding.

My bike is a 2017 and I bought it pre-loved. Previous owner was a semi-sponsored Giant rider... so... it's been put through its paces. I knew the mechanic, and he maintained it well. However, it's the original drivetrain and there are a couple of cogs that are long in the tooth. Plus, you can't tell the rear derailleur is a X01 because it's so defaced, crank is worn, etc.

I'm thinking about buying a new X01/XX1 cassette, derailleur, chain, crank ring. Not having perfect shifting annoys me.

So... if I'm considering spending $1,000 on drivetrain parts... I'm thinking about selling and buying a different bike?

Is there anything you current or past Trance riders would recommend?

Santa Cruz Bronson CC... Guerrilla Gravity... a couple of names I'm looking at.

Light and all around are my main must-haves.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've owned a 2012 Trance X1, 2017 Trance Advanced 2, and a 2020 Trance Advanced Pro 29 1. All 3 weigh around 27lb.
The 2020 Trance has been the most versatile, while being the quickest of the three; up, down, tech, flow - faster everywhere.
I know I'll keep the 2020 when I get a Trance X 29.
So I'd recommend a Trance 29 (lighter, XC to Trail), or Trance X 29 (Trail to AM)

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,783 Posts
Lots of great bikes out there these days. Don’t fall into a trance deciding. A deer in the headlights look is never a good look on anyone.

·
SP Singletrack rocks
2,044 Posts

I'm very happy with its performance. Carbon, X01, light enough to be a good XC bike, tough enough with sufficient (150/140mm) travel for trail and mild enduro riding.

My bike is a 2017 and I bought it pre-loved. Previous owner was a semi-sponsored Giant rider... so... it's been put through its paces. I knew the mechanic, and he maintained it well. However, it's the original drivetrain and there are a couple of cogs that are long in the tooth. Plus, you can't tell the rear derailleur is a X01 because it's so defaced, crank is worn, etc.

I'm thinking about buying a new X01/XX1 cassette, derailleur, chain, crank ring. Not having perfect shifting annoys me.

So... if I'm considering spending $1,000 on drivetrain parts... I'm thinking about selling and buying a different bike?

Thanks!!
I own a size L(440mm reach) 2014 trance SX 140/140 or 160/140. My bike is slightly shorter than a size L from 2017 which would have a 448mm reach.

its a good bike but compared to a 2020 anything(even a 2020 Trance 29eror a 2020 Trance X 29er) its dated. I wish my reach was 10-15mm longer, I wish the seat tube was steeper like MUCH steeper...my new Nimble 9 has a 77 degree seat tube and its just feel better climbing. I also wish I had 29x2.6 inch tires and could run a 210mm dropper.

IMO geometery is the most noticeable thing on a bike, and its mostly unchangable in a large enough way to matter on an older bike.

If it were me in your shoes, Id probably convert the bike to 11 speed shimano stuff so you can spend less money on the drivetrain, and then search for a new bike.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Thanks!!
I’m in a similar situation only with a 2018
Anthem with 2016 xo 11 speed drivetrain. I need to replace the cassette, chainring and chain.
I’m confident my shifter and derailleur are fine, so I’m looking at several hundred bucks, but I also just replaced the fork, so I’m keeping the bike because I really like it.
Unless you know the derailleur and/or shifter
are toast, I would bet a new cassette, chain and chainring will fix you up. And nowhere near a grand. Versus many thousands for a new bike equipped as yours is.
On the other hand, I’ve demoed your bike 3 times wanting to like the Trance, and I just don’t. Maybe you really do need a new bike!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Thanks!!
You are happy with the bike, and it sounds like it has the qualities that you're looking for in a new bike. 2017 isn't exactly old. Apparently you're getting a new derailleur just because you can't see the logo on the old one? And I can't imagine your chain ring has been worn out yet if the bike been maintained like you mentioned. No judgment here, but it sounds like you're looking for an excuse to buy a new bike.

If so, go for it. Otherwise buy a new chain, and likely a cassette and keep riding! :)

·
Rippin da fAt
8,275 Posts
Drew, how is the overall condition of your bike? There are many good drive train options out there that can keep the budget in line and keep the existing rig on the trail, if the bike is in good condition.
Replacing chain rings... I ran one on my dirt couch until it would no longer hold under power. It was sharp as a scalpel and slipped like a greased pig on ice.

Is an overhaul and thorough cleaning in order or are we looking at used up parts? Try the overhaul. Diagnose the issues and replace the parts necessary to achieve good performance and hit the trail!

The other end of the spectrum is you sell it off, buy a new bike and the buyer of the previous bike got you to pay the lion's share of depreciation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've owned a 2012 Trance X1, 2017 Trance Advanced 2, and a 2020 Trance Advanced Pro 29 1. All 3 weigh around 27lb.
The 2020 Trance has been the most versatile, while being the quickest of the three; up, down, tech, flow - faster everywhere.
I know I'll keep the 2020 when I get a Trance X 29.
So I'd recommend a Trance 29 (lighter, XC to Trail), or Trance X 29 (Trail to AM)
I've heard great things about the X, thanks for the recommendation.

I’m in a similar situation only with a 2018
Anthem with 2016 xo 11 speed drivetrain. I need to replace the cassette, chainring and chain.
I’m confident my shifter and derailleur are fine, so I’m looking at several hundred bucks, but I also just replaced the fork, so I’m keeping the bike because I really like it.
Unless you know the derailleur and/or shifter
are toast, I would bet a new cassette, chain and chainring will fix you up. And nowhere near a grand. Versus many thousands for a new bike equipped as yours is.
On the other hand, I’ve demoed your bike 3 times wanting to like the Trance, and I just don’t. Maybe you really do need a new bike!
I can probably get away with spending less on drivetrain parts. To your point, my shifter is fine. Derailleur looks awful but I hope its fine. Assuming that's the case, cassette, chain, chainring and I'm good to go. Fingers crossed!

I just love how the Trance rides. I had an '08, too. Maybe it's good there are so many darn choices out there, something for everyone.

You are happy with the bike, and it sounds like it has the qualities that you're looking for in a new bike. 2017 isn't exactly old. Apparently you're getting a new derailleur just because you can't see the logo on the old one? And I can't imagine your chain ring has been worn out yet if the bike been maintained like you mentioned. No judgment here, but it sounds like you're looking for an excuse to buy a new bike.

If so, go for it. Otherwise buy a new chain, and likely a cassette and keep riding! :)

Ctxcrossx -- you nailed it... I think. The grass on the other side of the fence was looking mighty green and smelling pretty damn good. I was getting curious. But the fact is, I do LOVE this bike and how it rides. The annoying thing is a temperamental drivetrain... which I can probably address. CASE IN POINT! I had two different LBS look at my shifting issue. Both said it's as good as it can get, plenty of life left, but a couple cogs have been beat up. So I took that as fact, and the new drivetrain thought got planted.

When I was cleaning my bike today after I posted the original message, I looked the rear drivetrain and noticed the indexing is off at the two cogs that I have problems with! My hope is some fine tuning and I'll be good.

Good call out. I like the qualities of this bike. Drivetrain can be fixed. It's not old. Good condition overall. I service the suspension every 90-120 days.

Think I'm keeping her.

Drew, how is the overall condition of your bike? There are many good drive train options out there that can keep the budget in line and keep the existing rig on the trail, if the bike is in good condition.
Replacing chain rings... I ran one on my dirt couch until it would no longer hold under power. It was sharp as a scalpel and slipped like a greased pig on ice.

Is an overhaul and thorough cleaning in order or are we looking at used up parts? Try the overhaul. Diagnose the issues and replace the parts necessary to achieve good performance and hit the trail!

The other end of the spectrum is you sell it off, buy a new bike and the buyer of the previous bike got you to pay the lion's share of depreciation.
Yep. Another solid kick in the ass to figure out drivetrain and keep it on the trail. Appreciate it.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,275 Posts
Glad to side with a rather nice bike to help the little bastard keep the job!
Lots of considerations and all however, worth it in the end. A good bike that you already are tuned in to, freakin performing like a rock star, doesn't get better than that!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’d recommend a 2021 Trance X. I have a Trance X Advanced Pro 1 and its the best balanced bike I’ve owned and I currently own a Ripmo AF. Very efficient while climbing and climbs just as well as my 2020 Yeti SB100 (which I sold), if not better. Descending is just as good as my Ripmo AF.

·
monster member
953 Posts
Hmmm

I'm understanding that you really like your current bike very much.

I'd be careful about jumping into a newer geometry. I went from an old mtb and a new road-bike, into a '19 Trance Advanced 29er and I like the bike, but I'm very glad it doesn't have a radical new geometry. At 5-11" with 32" inseam on a Large, I have my saddle almost all the way back. Here in choppy northestern PA where we have lots of ups and downs and short flats inbetween, I don't love the steeper seat tube. (And I still ride my roadbike sometimes which of course has a more classic geometry.)

So, if you like your current bike feel and just think it needs a little longer stem, you might consider that. If you still want a new bike, that's fine but be careful of some of the crazy geometries. I would say that more radical isn't necesarily more better. :)

·
SP Singletrack rocks
2,044 Posts
I'm understanding that you really like your current bike very much.

I'd be careful about jumping into a newer geometry. I went from an old mtb and a new road-bike, into a '19 Trance Advanced 29er and I like the bike, but I'm very glad it doesn't have a radical new geometry. At 5-11" with 32" inseam on a Large, I have my saddle almost all the way back. Here in choppy northestern PA where we have lots of ups and downs and short flats inbetween, I don't love the steeper seat tube. (And I still ride my roadbike sometimes which of course has a more classic geometry.)

So, if you like your current bike feel and just think it needs a little longer stem, you might consider that. If you still want a new bike, that's fine but be careful of some of the crazy geometries. I would say that more radical isn't necesarily more better. :)
you have a dropper right?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’d recommend a 2021 Trance X. I have a Trance X Advanced Pro 1 and its the best balanced bike I’ve owned and I currently own a Ripmo AF. Very efficient while climbing and climbs just as well as my 2020 Yeti SB100 (which I sold), if not better. Descending is just as good as my Ripmo AF.
I'm on the lookout for a new bike and am after a bike that is a good all-rounder, something like the Trance X or Trek Fuel EX. Those two are high on my list but there others like the Norco Optic/Sight or Canyon Spectral/Strive andYT Izzo/Jeffsy.

Haven't seen a new Trance X Pro 1 yet but hopefully soon. The only thing im not 100% sure about the Trance X Pro 1 is the colour. Sort of a grey/black? I guess it always looks better when you actually see it though. The colour of the Pro 0 looks amazing but that bike is a bit out of my price range.

·
monster member
953 Posts
I'm on the lookout for a new bike and am after a bike that is a good all-rounder, something like the Trance X or Trek Fuel EX. Those two are high on my list but there others like the Norco Optic/Sight or Canyon Spectral/Strive andYT Izzo/Jeffsy.

Haven't seen a new Trance X Pro 1 yet but hopefully soon. The only thing im not 100% sure about the Trance X Pro 1 is the colour. Sort of a grey/black? I guess it always looks better when you actually see it though. The colour of the Pro 0 looks amazing but that bike is a bit out of my price range.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I like color also, so feel my gray bike is a little too stealth. I haven't done it yet but I saw you can get sticker kits from Giant in a big selection of colors. You can get them for the rims also. Plus of course the normal colored grips you can buy, bottle cage, handlebar, etc.

·
Oey12
3 Posts
I had a 2009 Trance 1 that was equipped very well and recently just picked up a 2021 Trance 3 29. I am in awe with the of changes. The 2009 was much better spec’ed but the 2021 is so much smoother and crisper when brand new. And the suspension is simply like being on a cloud. Now I can’t wait to hits some trails in the spring. I am extremely satisfied so far for spending 2200 bucks. There is a lot of bike for the money, now I just have to wait for the longevity aspect. But I am not really concerned about that...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been fortunate to have owned 4 Trance models over the past 10 years starting with the 2011 Trance X Adv SL0 (26"), then the 2015 Trance 27.5, followed by the 2017 Trance Advanced and now the 2021 Trance X Adv 29.

The 2017 had been my favourite "fun" bike (I raced XC on an Anthem) and I was concerned that the "X" 29er would somehow feel sluggish. This has not been the case. I must say that the transition from the 2017 Trance with 27.5" wheels to the 2021 Trance X with 29" wheel was incredible.

In fact, I have been blown away by the handling, climbing and descending. For the first 5 or 10 rides I was always waiting for "the compromise", something that I must have given up to move to bigger wheels and slacker geometry. But this never happened. I am climbing and descending faster and with more confidence, the handling on tight switchbacks does not feel significantly different from the 27.5" wheel version. Overall I am very pleased with the Trance X Adv 29 and it is officially my favourite "fun" bike.

If you are considering making the switch from the 2017 Trance to the 2021 Trance X, I'd say go for it. You will not be disappointed.

(Yup. We got a new garage door... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts