Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at a used 2005 Trance 3. According to the owner it has had little use and the pics look really clean. I will take it for a spin tonight, but if I like I wanted to be able to make an offer. Can anyone make a suggestion. According to the Giant website MSRP was $1600.

Thanks!

P.S. I rode a new 2007 Trance 2 that I liked, which was $1399. And a new 2008 Trance 2 is $1099 at my LBS. However, I like the specs of the 2005 better.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
A general guideline is to pay 50% of MSRP when buying a used bike. Deviate from there depending on condition, but I personally wouldn't pass the $800 mark, especially when you can get something like this brand new for $825 (25% code ends today).

http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Ho...c11d058.e3eSbNmQaheLe38Rc40?sc=19&category=55

Keep in mind that the pre 2008 Trance frames were heavy, at ~7.5 pounds. I also think that the earlier model Trances had bearing issues that you might have to keep an eye on.

Ant

·
Registered
20 Posts
My .02

I just bought two Trances over the last six months, one was a 2005 Trance 3 that was purchased as a present for the hubby. I bought it on eBay and when I got it I thought it could have easily passed for being new. I paid $530 plus $75 for shipping and so far we have been very pleased with it, so much so that I upgraded my 2000 S-Works Specialized FSR XC to a 2008 Trance XO. I got another great deal on a bike that was barely ridden also like new and was owned by a bike shop manager. Aside from being XT/XTR, it also had been upgraded to UST Conti Mountain King tires. For reference, I paid 2K including professional packing and shipping. Considering the condition of the bike and some of the upgrades it came with, I am very pleased- couldn't be any happier really. I'm definetly a Giant Trance convert now, but aside from my Specialized that I was very partial to I have experience owning Bridgestone, Trek, and Gary Fisher bikes, so I believe Giant is doing something right!

Good luck, I hope you find a nice Trance at the right price point!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.