Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I just bought Giant Talon 1 2021. I love this bike so much. I usually ride in smooth pavements. The bike's drivetrain is 1X10 , 30T chainring ( 76 B.C.D. ) with 11-42T cassette.

I find that I always use 11T Or 13T in rear. I want to upgrade to bigger front chainring. I am considering to have 36T chainring. Unfortunately, I am worried that if I upgrade to 36T in front, the chainring may be too big with rubbing to chainstay.
If I really want 36T in front , must I change to 2X , with 22T/36T chainrings? Or I can just keep 1X with 36T in front?

Do anyone have this bike and upgrade to a bigger chainring?

· Registered
1,614 Posts
The only way to really know is to get a chainring and see if it fits. Are you sure it's 76BCD? There don't appear to be many (any) cheap options available for 76BCD.

Are you planning to do the work yourself or take it to a bike shop? You may find you need a new chain to accommodate the extra teeth, and if you can't work the current chain ring off with the crank in situ you'll need a square taper removal tool to get the crank arm off.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone, I just bought Giant Talon 1 2021. I love this bike so much. I usually ride in smooth pavements. The bike's drivetrain is 1X10 , 30T chainring ( 76 B.C.D. ) with 11-42T cassette.

I find that I always use 11T Or 13T in rear. I want to upgrade to bigger front chainring. I am considering to have 36T chainring. Unfortunately, I am worried that if I upgrade to 36T in front, the chainring may be too big with rubbing to chainstay.
If I really want 36T in front , must I change to 2X , with 22T/36T chainrings? Or I can just keep 1X with 36T in front?

Do anyone have this bike and upgrade to a bigger chainring?
Did you end up switching to a bigger chain ring? I am in the same predicament and was curious what did you finally go with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts