Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant Stance as a first full squish trail bike.

3720 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  targnik
Ive seen the posts of Giant vs Polygon and i'm wondering about the Giant Stance or Trance. Mainly because that is pretty much all I can find in stock. Who here rides either? Also are you possibly 6'2 and around 220lbs? Lol! seriously though...Pinkbike says they aren't good for a trail bike if its anything beyond a green trail basically. I'm no black diamond rider but I want to be able to send it and eat up the drops along with technical stuff and climbs (as i learn and grow). I've asked about other bikes in other posts but this I want to be specific to those model Giants. Shred on dude and dudettes!!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I don't have expeeince on either bike. I did read up on this a bit when eventually getting my bike.
The Stance seems to have dated geo, and a few limitations that held it back on the older pinkbike value bike test. Not sure how that translates into real world riding where you live.

Trance X was in the valuebike fieldtrip this time around and go middling reviews.

If I were shopping the Giant line up I'd be looking at the Giant Trance 29 It seems like great value for the money. It as a Marzocchi Z2, fork that gets good reviews and the Deore 12 speed drivetrain which shifts nicely.

FWIW, I went got a 2021 Ripley AF Deore. I like the Deore drivetrain, the Geo and and the FOX suspension, but it was very very hard to come by and I lucked out
See less See more
Reactions: 1
The Giants are nice bikes. The Stance is going to be simple suspension and geometry, a decent entry level XC bike. The Trance is a good step up. More travel, better geometry, better suspension. The 29 X model gets more travel and more progressive geometry than the standard 29er. You can pretty much go as big as you want on it. Friend of mine has one and has done 6 foot drops and jumps on it no problem.
I'm not a fan... I think you should either pay a bit more and get a Trance, or try a different brand like Marin, Vitus, or Polygon if you want a value bike.
Out of the two at your weight, I'd be going the Siskiu

I'm 6ft & 240lb's butt-nekid...

I ride a Polygon Siskiu N8, running a Marzocchi Bomber CR w/ 450lb spring and Fox Factory 36 up front.

It's also rocking a mullet which has brought it to life.

At your size and weight the 'Stance' will only 'stand' in your way.

The geo on my N8, prior to mullet, was a little outdated i.e. conservative.

Now it's definitely Enduro, free ride, with a hint of bike park.

The Siskiu T series would be a great first FS rig.

As time passes and you wear bits out, you can chuck on upgrades to keep up with your growing skill set

Sent from my Asus Rog 3
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.