Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody has changed the standard Giant HV shock for an aftermarket one on any bike???

My DU bushings are prolly shot and as Giant does not publish their actual dimensions and I can't get a caliper, I'm asking you if you can give any insight.

Is there any shock that would work with the same hardware as the Giant??

Thanks!!

Additional point for anyone who would let me know which brand uses a 30.5mm ID spring like the Giant HV does (Manitou and Progressive do not - those use 35+mm springs.

I need a 400 for my 150 pound when I'm on my Warp.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Como...

...esta(s). I just swapped mine out with a Cane Creek AD-5 I sniped off Ebay for $66. It's an air shock and my only concern with it is that it may not work very well with my fat @ss on it but I haven't found out just yet because of last weekends snow. I'll let you know after this weekend. If you only weigh 150 lbs., I think it would be an excellent solution for you.

As to the bushings, I had an lbs press in new sleeves for a couple of bucks but I had to use the 2 piece aluminum bushings from the original shock for the correct spacing. I might be able to snag a few bushings for you from the bike shop down the street and send them to you if that would help. No promises but I can ask them.

Also, I don't know if you have the original spring from your Warp but I have mine that I think is a 600 but I'm not sure right off the top of my head. If that would help you, I'll be happy to send it to you. It sure as heck isn't doing me any good, I have the 1000 lb spring on mine. One of the mechanics at a Moab bike shop told me that a Fox spring will work on those HV's but you might want to double check that in case I remembered wrong.

Hope some of that was helpful...

Warp2003 said:
Anybody has changed the standard Giant HV shock for an aftermarket one on any bike???
My DU bushings are prolly shot and as Giant does not publish their actual dimensions and I can't get a caliper, I'm asking you if you can give any insight.
Is there any shock that would work with the same hardware as the Giant??

Thanks!!

Additional point for anyone who would let me know which brand uses a 30.5mm ID spring like the Giant HV does (Manitou and Progressive do not - those use 35+mm springs.
I need a 400 for my 150 pound when I'm on my Warp.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bulletbob said:
...esta(s). I just swapped mine out with a Cane Creek AD-5 I sniped off Ebay for $66. It's an air shock and my only concern with it is that it may not work very well with my fat @ss on it but I haven't found out just yet because of last weekends snow. I'll let you know after this weekend. If you only weigh 150 lbs., I think it would be an excellent solution for you.

As to the bushings, I had an lbs press in new sleeves for a couple of bucks but I had to use the 2 piece aluminum bushings from the original shock for the correct spacing. I might be able to snag a few bushings for you from the bike shop down the street and send them to you if that would help. No promises but I can ask them.

Also, I don't know if you have the original spring from your Warp but I have mine that I think is a 600 but I'm not sure right off the top of my head. If that would help you, I'll be happy to send it to you. It sure as heck isn't doing me any good, I have the 1000 lb spring on mine. One of the mechanics at a Moab bike shop told me that a Fox spring will work on those HV's but you might want to double check that in case I remembered wrong.

Hope some of that was helpful...
Estoy Bien, Gracias... y tu??
Mini-Warp is the one who got a cold and I have a slight sleep hangover. Nothing coffee can not solve.

Bob, you answered all my questions perfectly. I'll check out the AD5's. Even new ones are not that expensive.

For the bushings, I cleaned them up, changed bearings at the main pivot (drive side one was shot) and put everything back together, but I'll let you know if I need some. Igus mexico is supposedly going to send me some as samples but I have a vague feeleing about that being true.

The problem with my spring is that I have the original one :D I need a 400 spring. I'll check out Fox dealers around here. I was able to pull out the spring (and shock, bearings, axle) and now I have the inner diameter which is the only thing that may cause a problem. Thanks for your offer, anyway!!! Is incredible the support you get from the MTB community. Definitively MTB'ers are better persons than the average.

If it's any good to you, the bearings on Warp's main pivot are 6903-2RS (plastics seals both sides, prelubed) or you can use 6903-ZZ (metal seals both sides,prelubed). It's a fairly common bearing (17mm ID X 30mm OD X 7mm thick) and if you want to make a real upgrade to your Warp, get a quality bearing (SKF, Timken-Fafnir, or anything from Japan, Germany or Sweden). If possible get the Full-Complement version. Your local hardware store will have them cheaper than QBP as for them those are not "bike specific".

Another upgrade is to get Igus' G-300 bushings (P/N GSI-0809-08 for 1/2" ID and 1/2" wide shock heads) and a solid thru pin (some kit from Progressive Suspension or BETD). Actually is what Progressive uses on 5th Elements.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
I forgot to mention...

Warp2003 said:
Estoy Bien, Gracias... y tu??
Mini-Warp is the one who got a cold and I have a slight sleep hangover. Nothing coffee can not solve.

Bob, you answered all my questions perfectly. I'll check out the AD5's. Even new ones are not that expensive.

For the bushings, I cleaned them up, changed bearings at the main pivot (drive side one was shot) and put everything back together, but I'll let you know if I need some. Igus mexico is supposedly going to send me some as samples but I have a vague feeleing about that being true.

The problem with my spring is that I have the original one :D I need a 400 spring. I'll check out Fox dealers around here. I was able to pull out the spring (and shock, bearings, axle) and now I have the inner diameter which is the only thing that may cause a problem. Thanks for your offer, anyway!!! Is incredible the support you get from the MTB community. Definitively MTB'ers are better persons than the average.

If it's any good to you, the bearings on Warp's main pivot are 6903-2RS (plastics seals both sides, prelubed) or you can use 6903-ZZ (metal seals both sides,prelubed). It's a fairly common bearing (17mm ID X 30mm OD X 7mm thick) and if you want to make a real upgrade to your Warp, get a quality bearing (SKF, Timken-Fafnir, or anything from Japan, Germany or Sweden). If possible get the Full-Complement version. Your local hardware store will have them cheaper than QBP as for them those are not "bike specific".

Another upgrade is to get Igus' G-300 bushings (P/N GSI-0809-08 for 1/2" ID and 1/2" wide shock heads) and a solid thru pin (some kit from Progressive Suspension or BETD). Actually is what Progressive uses on 5th Elements.
The guys I bought that shock from are called "thebargainpeddler.com". You can hit their website and buy stuff there instead of Ebay. They shipped real fast to.

Thanks for the info on the bearings, actually I'm hoping to snag a new bike sometime soon. The Supergo in my area has Giant AC2's for $949 right now!!

·
Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!
112 Posts
save up and get an SPV or ProPedal...

Forget the fancy air shock man... if it breaks, yer pushin yer baby all the way home. Also, u don't need a pump to adjust a spring. and last but not least, why i'm waiting to order a Fox...

Get somthin with a stable platform to stand up on and eliminate the only thing ppl have left to rip on this bike! ;P

Then again, some people say I suffer from mental anguish... (see my posts in VT,NH,ME)

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Well, actually...

Ullrite said:
Forget the fancy air shock man... if it breaks, yer pushin yer baby all the way home. Also, u don't need a pump to adjust a spring. and last but not least, why i'm waiting to order a Fox...

Get somthin with a stable platform to stand up on and eliminate the only thing ppl have left to rip on this bike! ;P

Then again, some people say I suffer from mental anguish... (see my posts in VT,NH,ME)
...after riding this thing for a couple of rides, it's working about as well as I suspected it would which is to say not very satisfactorily for my fat butt. I sort of figured that would happen so it's not a huge surprise. If I was 30 lbs. lighter, this CaneCreek would work great! The rebound is fine out of the box but it just sags too much with my keester on it. I definitely think it would work great for someone lighter.

I guess I'll look for an Manitou SPV or a Fox Vanilla cheap. Oh well.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Spring?

Eh, I fitted a new Stratos to my DBR, but the stock spring is wayyyy too soft. BulletBob, would you be willing to ship me the 600 pound spring? I'd be more than happy to compensate you what's fair. I'm just way poor right now (major mods). And can you tell me the length of the coil and the inner diameter? Many thanks.

I remember riding the Giant HV stocks, I was really impressed considering that it was a housebrand rear shock. The rebound knob actually works.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Sure dude...

XSL_WiLL said:
Eh, I fitted a new Stratos to my DBR, but the stock spring is wayyyy too soft. BulletBob, would you be willing to ship me the 600 pound spring? I'd be more than happy to compensate you what's fair. I'm just way poor right now (major mods). And can you tell me the length of the coil and the inner diameter? Many thanks.

I remember riding the Giant HV stocks, I was really impressed considering that it was a housebrand rear shock. The rebound knob actually works.
Yea, for being cheap, I actually had my HV shock dialed in pretty well. Too bad there's no way to rebuild them.

How about 20 bucks? That'll cover shipping and me loafing down to the PO to ship the box. Of course now I have to find it, hmmm. I think I know where it is in storage though!

I'm out of town right now but my buddy has a Giant with the same shock on it so I'll try to measure his but I may have to wait until I get back in a couple of days if that's ok?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XSL_WiLL said:

Sorry to hijack you bulletbob....

I'm willing to trade my 600 for your spring if it is a 400 and has an ID of 30.5 and is for a 2.25 shock stroke...

Just ship to me your spring and I'll ship you mine. Lemme know.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
No problemo....

Warp2003 said:
Sorry to hijack you bulletbob....

I'm willing to trade my 600 for your spring if it is a 400 and has an ID of 30.5 and is for a 2.25 shock stroke...

Just ship to me your spring and I'll ship you mine. Lemme know.
Let me know if I can still help out, we'll get everyone out there one way or another!

Besides I think I snagged a Fox Vanilla on Ebay. I hope!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bulletbob said:
Too bad there's no way to rebuild them.
Actually I think those are rebuildable. Those even look suspiciously similar to Vanillas.

There's a gum capped hole at the head shock of a Giant HV that I suspect is an injector point for air. I think that would you have a shock injection needle, you could depressurize the shock and rebuild it (suposing you would have the parts from Giant or even Fox if my conspiracy theory is true). Or even some shims from Penske and you could tune it internally... it's all theory. But I'd like to have the tools and a spare shock to do it.

Actually I think the HV is a fine shock. It has an Internal Floating Piston with pressurized air which make it progressive to the end of shaft travel. The rebound really works even if it's adjusted by a needle valve which actuates a bleed hole (I think). Would you be able to play with the Pressure at the IFP chamber and you would have a nice shock.

Eyelet bushings are the same as Fox's (1/2" ID X 19/32" OD X 1/2" Wide, DU Material or Igus G-300 compound). So those can be replaced rather easily.

For the springs, I still want to know how much a Fox coil spring measures at ID. I doubt my LBS could get me any Giant spring but I can find Fox springs rather easily.

I might need some DU (shock eyelet bushings) so I'll let you know. Thanks again, bro!!

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Sure...

Warp2003 said:
Actually I think those are rebuildable. Those even look suspiciously similar to Vanillas.

There's a gum capped hole at the head shock of a Giant HV that I suspect is an injector point for air. I think that would you have a shock injection needle, you could depressurize the shock and rebuild it (suposing you would have the parts from Giant or even Fox if my conspiracy theory is true). Or even some shims from Penske and you could tune it internally... it's all theory. But I'd like to have the tools and a spare shock to do it.

Actually I think the HV is a fine shock. It has an Internal Floating Piston with pressurized air which make it progressive to the end of shaft travel. The rebound really works even if it's adjusted by a needle valve which actuates a bleed hole (I think). Would you be able to play with the Pressure at the IFP chamber and you would have a nice shock.

Eyelet bushings are the same as Fox's (1/2" ID X 19/32" OD X 1/2" Wide, DU Material or Igus G-300 compound). So those can be replaced rather easily.

For the springs, I still want to know how much a Fox coil spring measures at ID. I doubt my LBS could get me any Giant spring but I can find Fox springs rather easily.

I might need some DU (shock eyelet bushings) so I'll let you know. Thanks again, bro!!
Actually if you're LBS is a legit Giant dealer, the factory springs are only about 25 bucks.

As near as the Giant shop closest to me can tell by calling Giant, there isn't any sort of a rebuild kit/seals/etc. for those HV shocks. I think you're right it is sort of a shame because I had mine dialed in pretty well actually!

Hasta

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.