Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A LBS is offering a sale on 09 giant rincons for $425. I currently have a cromoly steel 98 trek 950 with V-brakes and some upgrades and deore comonents. I dont really want to put any more money into my trek because it needs a new bottom bracket and the bike is starting to nickle and dime me. My budget is very tight due to a baby on the way in May! The trek takes a beating and is a good bike but I would like the advantages of a lighter aluminum bike, disc brakes and new components. I am staring to get into more technical riding and do 1 to 2 foot drops, will this bike handle that type of trail? Or will I be replacing the SR XCM fork soon? Also does anyone know if iron horse offers a decent bike at this price point?

thanks for any input, The sale ends X-mas eve.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 2003 rincon and I loved it, didn't want to sell it so my brother is riding it. I did a lot of technical stuff on it and it handled very good for a beginner at the time. Just like you, I started to do drops and I ended up getting a full suspension with more travel. If you like the drops now, you'll be doing 3 to 4 drops soon like I was doing. which means that you'll want to upgrade soon after you buy this one.
Look at yourself in the future, what kind of riding you like. The Rincon is awesome if you stay at your present level for a long time, but if you see yourself going crazier invest in a full suspension.
I went from a Rincon to a XC to a freeride in one year. Pretty expensive, so buy the best bike you can afford. Don't buy something cuz is cheap.
Sorry if is not the answer you wanted.... In terms of the Rincon..... great buke.

·
Registered
236 Posts
the 09 rincon is a great bike, and thats a good price for it.
i dont know how much your trek weighs,but i wouldnt call the rincon " light ".
but i do know the rincon is a pretty sturdy bike. im a clyde, and i ride an 08 rincon, my buddies ride the 09. lots of trail riding, small jumps and drops and the bike holds up well.
i think its a great buy for the that price

·
Registered
138 Posts
$425 for an 09 Rincon is a steal. I love the Rincon frame. It's a great platform for any future upgrades you may choose to do.

Even my gf's 2001 Rincon is still a solid bike.

If about $425 is your budget, I don't think you can do much better for a brand new bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.