1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've test ridden the Revel and I think its a good bike for a good price, so I'd go for it! the one thing I'd double check on is the amount of travel the fork has - on the website it says 100 mm of travel, but I saw one in the store the other day, and I thought I saw right on the fork that it said only 32 mm of travel.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
getagrip said:
I've test ridden the Revel and I think its a good bike for a good price, so I'd go for it! the one thing I'd double check on is the amount of travel the fork has - on the website it says 100 mm of travel, but I saw one in the store the other day, and I thought I saw right on the fork that it said only 32 mm of travel.
Probably more likely that it has 32mm diameter fork stanchions.

sasquatch rides a SS said:
The Revel line up is amazing, but if I were you I'd try to find some extra cash and bump up to the next model which has disc brakes. If you are doing 80% trails the disc brakes are a necessity.
A "neccessity"?

I would have to see what the OP defines as "trail" before making a statement like that. Furthermore, many of us thought v-brakes were the cat's ass back in the day and they are still fine for most trail riding.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Wrong word choice I guess. But we all shall agree that they will help tremendously. Basically what I meant is I imagine that this is the OP's first mountain bike, he should get something nice because more than likely he will like trail riding and want to upgrade. Plus with the single wall rims on the rim brake model (correct me if their double wall) and the double wall on the disc brake model, it will just be better suited for trail riding. I'd say get the rim brake model if he were riding 80% pavement. But with that much trail riding he is sure to want the stronger wheels and braking power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The "trails" i'm referring to are at a state park. They are hill/root/rock/dirt. Not to crazy. And thatnks for the opinions everybody. Test rode one today and really liked it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Disks are nice but not a necessity. V brakes work plenty good and are easy to maintain. V brakes can be adjusted to work as well or better than the entry level disks. When I test rode bikes this winter with the entry level cable disk brakes I wasn't too impressed.

Theres a few guys riding the Revel 2 around campus and its a good looking bike in the Blk/blue.

The Trek 820 also seems like a popular bike on campus and its priced similarly at $359 msrp. It would be worth checking out if a LBS carries Trek.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/820/820/

·
Registered
57 Posts
My roommate and our friend are looking at bikes now and after doing some more research I put my vote for the Revel.. The fork and components are much better than the 820 and worth the small price difference
The silver/black looks awesome in person

oh and the revel 2 has double wall rims

·
WI. Big Boy MTBer
643 Posts
I just bought the Rev2 as a kick around bike and had my LBS swap out the stock 28/38/48 crank for a better Shimano with more trail worthy 22/32/42 ring set. I took it out on the trails today.. and aside from the fork being a heavy weight pogo stick and the rear hub being a 7 speed freewheel..The bike handles admirably and IMHO is a decent platform to hang better parts on once you blow out the stock stuff..which, in my estimation may take a bit of doing. Solid bike!! The fork and the Kenda SB8 tires are soon to being replaced.. otherwise, great handling woods bike!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Probably more likely that it has 32mm diameter fork stanchions.

A "neccessity"?

I would have to see what the OP defines as "trail" before making a statement like that. Furthermore, many of us thought v-brakes were the cat's ass back in the day and they are still fine for most trail riding.
There is no way that bike has 32MM stanchions. Much better forks than that only have 28 or 30MM stanchions.

·
Registered
581 Posts
And while I don't want to rehash the issue about mail order bikes for the millionth time, Bikesdirect will give you a MUCH better bike at that price. But if you are not willing/able to put the bike together and adjust it yourself then the Revel 2 is one of the best entry level bike shop bikes I have seen.

·
WI. Big Boy MTBer
643 Posts
For anyone who cares..

Lose the fork and this is a pretty decent woods bike IMHO:thumbsup:
The handling capabilities and really quite decent frameset make this a excellent choice for a beginner or someone re entering the sport on a tight budget. Fun bike!

The bike climbs quite impressively! The fork is the standout Achilles heel!
Sleeper frameset.. Up grade worthy?? Me thinks so.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah.. the stanchions on the POS SR fork are indeed 28mm:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.