Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've narrowed my bike search down to these two specific bikes... not sure if I can find the right price on them but in a perfect world, what would you guys go for?

I'm 6'4 240-260 depending on the time of year

I'm not a huge fan of climbing but want to incorporate more XC into my rides, which until now have been predominately downhill shuttles and lift access bike parks.

I'm going to demo the Reign X in their largest size (Large) this weekend but can only find a XL Heckler at a different LBS and the shop has only agreed to letting me ride it around their parking lot.

I know much of this is going to depend on my personal preference of how the bike fits me but what do you all think given what I've stated? Anyone my size riding these bikes?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If they both fit well and there both within your budget i'd go for the Heckler. From what you've said I think it would fit more into your riding style. Plus you have the added advantage of only one set of bearings which are warranted for life, different colour/shock options, spec to your liking and better re-sale value should you ever fancy a change. I'm from the uk so bearings wear quicker because of all the wet weather but still think it's an important often over looked factor, more so the heavier you are and with you riding more downhill than xc. I've owned a trance x and nomad both very good bikes but i'd have a single pivot if I could get one big enough for me (6ft 6in, 210lbs) and it would either be a heckler or orange five. Which ever way you go they are both great bikes and you can't go wrong with either.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
One Pivot said:
a normal reign would be a more fair comparison.
That's what I was thinking. . . . .

My son and I (he's 6'4" - 195lbs, me @ 6'5" - 270lbs) have been thrashing our 2005 Reigns for a few years now. I did replace the upper pivot bearings with Enduro bearings. They will take quite a beating and have been on many long rides with climbing or all day shuttle fests.

2,000+ feet of climbing and still fun on the way down.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
the reign x pedals retardedly well, the one i rode had a dhx coil on it, and it was just butter smooth, probably to the point of being undersprung for my weight, but that didnt really impact its ability to pedal what so ever.

i think the geometry and long fork is going to make it difficult to really be an all day climb machine, as its intended as a freeride bike. the normal reign brings your geo back to something you can pedal around.

really great bikes though. hope one of them works out for you.

·
thread killer
757 Posts
throwfar said:
WTF-IDK, do you do any lift access runs? How does the heckler handle there?

Bike looks sweet!
Sorry, no I've yet to have my bike at any ski mountans as of yet. I'm sure it would be fine for most of it. I think it would be able to hadle it better than I would.

I've had it for almost a year now and it hasn't even blinked at anything I've put it through.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rode the Reign X this weekend and was impressed on how well it would climb for being 38lbs! The bike was a little heavier than I had expected but did have dhx coil and was set for my weight. The 6.7 in of travel really ate up the downhill and I could tell the difference in fork performance (Rockshock bomber 55). Bottom line, the bike felt extremely solid but was somewhat heavy and the particular demo didn't have the best components (X5 r. derail., hayes lower end disc brakes). Still, best thing I've ever been on!

Wish I could demo a heckler... can't find any in phoenix!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heckler. Less pivots = more riding, and Santa Cruz's tech help has been great whenever I've used 'em. I'm on a '04 Heckler / Marz Z1FR / DHX Air, and no issues but for some bearings replaced (which is super easy to do).

·
Banned
98 Posts
throwfar said:
So I've narrowed my bike search down to these two specific bikes... not sure if I can find the right price on them but in a perfect world, what would you guys go for?

I'm 6'4 240-260 depending on the time of year

I'm not a huge fan of climbing but want to incorporate more XC into my rides, which until now have been predominately downhill shuttles and lift access bike parks.

I'm going to demo the Reign X in their largest size (Large) this weekend but can only find a XL Heckler at a different LBS and the shop has only agreed to letting me ride it around their parking lot.

I know much of this is going to depend on my personal preference of how the bike fits me but what do you all think given what I've stated? Anyone my size riding these bikes?
Well, although I am not 6'4 , I do have a buddy who is about 6'7 who is riding the reign xo large size frame, he is a very able rider and has won local downhill events here in bootleg canyon, lv, riding his reign xo, if you're looking for an able bike that can also xc than the reign xo is for you, I have been demoing the bike for the past week cause my xo should be coming in within a month, I love downhill as well as xc and I can tell you it will improve your cross country riding ten fold.

·
Registered
41 Posts
reign x. it's a buff bike that pedals efficiently. I rode a 2009 reign x mostly on XC and AM trails and I kept up with all of my seasoned riding buddies. Even spanked my buddy that rides a trek fuel (much lighter). And I ride flats. I don't ride for the climb, though.

I thought that 37lbs was a bit heavy, so I built a hard tail for pig effer climbing days. It turns out that on my hardtail, I fall behind from the group on the downhill because I have no confidence in traction or handling. Bagged that idea. This changed my perspective though because I really think that most riders are heading towards a fun bike vs a fast bike. Fun bikes are getting faster anyway. I looked at those hecklers quite a bit, but they don't seem as stiff and burly as a reign x.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.