Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I have a Giant reign 3 which I love to bits but I am a bit peeved at the cable routing. Sorted out the brake hose routing a good while back and it's been sweet since. Went to change my rear gear cable at the weekend and discovered that the top cable guide (welded to the top-tube) has all but worn away to nothing.

Has anyone had similar issues and what was the outcome?

mania

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've got a Trance 3 and I did notice that the rear gear cable tends to move within the cable guides (particularly the one closest to the seat stay). I don't have the same issue as you but did notice a thicker tube/sleeve over the cable at that point.

You would think that the cable would wear out before the guide though.
I vaguely remember hearing something similar to what you said - not sure if it was Giant bike related or another brand though.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Switch it with the other guide (there's two side by side) for now and post some pics so we can see exactly what you're experiencing.

Worst case, you could run full housing to the stop at the lower end of the swingarm and then continue with housing (as it is now) on the other side of the stop to the rear derailleur.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a trance 3 and have had the same problem but i have found that electrical tape works really well and dosent wear through, u will want to apply it to the underside of ur top tube where the cable touches the frame because u will start to see deep groves where the rubbing is,

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
twomanywh33ls said:
i have a trance 3 and have had the same problem but i have found that electrical tape works really well and dosent wear through, u will want to apply it to the underside of ur top tube where the cable touches the frame because u will start to see deep groves where the rubbing is,
For that, I just put a thin zip-tie where the housing would otherwise rub the frame, except on the headtube where I just used those clear stickers made for preventing cable housing rub.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a Trance1 and noticed both the cable rub and the wear on the tie itself. The wear on the top tube tie was from my bike rack. I have a Tule hitch mount and if I mounted the bike with handlebars facing driver side, the motion form driving would eat away at the aluminum. When I turned the bike the other way there is no problem since the tie is not sticking out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.