Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Boy, that does look like a good deal. I'm not sure I agree with their assessment of the Reign having "monster travel"...LOL!...but that is a pretty darned good bike. A friend has one, and they work very well. I think you're a little limited on some piggyback shock choices, but a good bike nonetheless.

·
Motion activated
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you can't run any piggy back shock and coils are out. Some say you can fit a Vanilla R coil in there, but I've never seen it done. I had a Vanilla RC lying around and the shock collar just fitted inside the shock cradle depending on how the preload was set up. But of course the reservoir didn't fit. The Reign's suspension is very linear which isn't optimal IMHO. PUSH will change the internal volume of an RP3 and add more mid stroke compression damping, so that it becomes progressive. The swinger three way is ok, but the Maestro /DW-link design doesn't require a platform, so the suspension feels better again with a RP3 in the -'ve position and the bike still pedals just as well (in and out of the saddle).

·
kneecap
1,641 Posts
That seems like an excellant price for a modern 6" travel frame. Couldn't find any reviews here for it. Any idea of Frame weight, or ride quality?

·
Registered
470 Posts
go to manufacturers forum

the Giant forum has tons of ride reviews... people seem to like them overall, and the builds vary from lightish all-mountain to burlier freeridish.

·
Motion activated
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kneecap said:
That seems like an excellant price for a modern 6" travel frame. Couldn't find any reviews here for it. Any idea of Frame weight, or ride quality?
Weight (including air shock) is about 7.5 to 8lb depending on who you ask. It is a very stiff, strong frame - there is a video floating around somewhere of this guy overshooting a landing on the Reign. It mush have been 20+ ft to flat - frame was fine.

For my needs, the Maestro linkage (same as Iron Horse's DW-Link) works considerably better than a 4 bar. This bike has wonderful technical climbing abilities.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=183091&highlight=rock

Also here is some of my thoughts on the Reign vs 4 bar.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=192273&highlight=ride

Apparently the bearings on the 05's are not that great. You might want to replace them (while they are easy to get to) with the ones from Enduro

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id56.html

·
I dig trails!
5,599 Posts
Soooo......

Does anyone want to walk in for me :D

Amazing deal!

You'll find the suspension active under breaking :thumbsup:
So efficient with pedaling that a platform shock is unnecessary (at least on my DW link bike) :thumbsup:

Mr. P

·
Motion activated
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr.P said:
So efficient with pedaling that a platform shock is unnecessary (at least on my DW link bike)
Mr. P
Yep, I climb with my Reigns RP3 in the -'ve mode. No bob in the saddle and minimal when standing.

·
Gear Whore
1,352 Posts
If only you could fit a romic or avy with a remote reservoir in there....I can't ride air shocks as they will break under my manliness...lol...but I like the design and love the way my wifes trance rides.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Awesome deal. Someone want to go pick one up for me? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee of course.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Steve71 said:
Weight (including air shock) is about 7.5 to 8lb depending on who you ask. It is a very stiff, strong frame - there is a video floating around somewhere of this guy overshooting a landing on the Reign. It mush have been 20+ ft to flat - frame was fine.

For my needs, the Maestro linkage (same as Iron Horse's DW-Link) works considerably better than a 4 bar. This bike has wonderful technical climbing abilities.

Apparently the bearings on the 05's are not that great. You might want to replace them (while they are easy to get to) with the ones from Enduro

The Maestro is not the same as the DW Link. Close, but no cigar. But maybe I read too much into your statement. Maybe you did not say the Maestro is the same as the DW, but that the Maestro, like the DW....works better than a 4bar for your needs.

I'll admit I'm a DW biased rider, but arguably (but why argue over mtb's?) it is the best overall design, a "fact" proud owners of other suspensions can't refute. Heck, even manufacturers from VPP land can't say it (DW) is inferior in any regard to theirs.

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Steve71 said:
the Maestro linkage (same as Iron Horse's DW-Link)
They are not the same.

·
kneecap
1,641 Posts
Mulling it over.....

Steve71 said:

Thanks Steve, What were you riding before this bike?
Your climbing pics are impressive.
Had a bud go to wheel world this morning for me to check out this deal. They weighed a frame, kinda crudely, with a stand on it scale. Came up w/ 8 & 1/2 lbs. for a 16" frame.
Maybe I'll rethink this, need a 20" frame, probably around 9 lbs?
I'm about your weight, but a lot older, & not likely as strong. Think I'm obsessing the weight deal? :confused:

·
Motion activated
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
kneecap said:
Thanks Steve, What were you riding before this bike?
Your climbing pics are impressive.
Had a bud go to wheel world this morning for me to check out this deal. They weighed a frame, kinda crudely, with a stand on it scale. Came up w/ 8 & 1/2 lbs. for a 16" frame.
Maybe I'll rethink this, need a 20" frame, probably around 9 lbs?
I'm about your weight, but a lot older, & not likely as strong. Think I'm obsessing the weight deal? :confused:
I was riding a Turner Burner with the 4" rockers for XC and a Turner Afterburner 6" travel DH bike. I've never weighted my Reign frame, but I'd highly surprised if my 20" frame weighed much more than 8lb. The reason why my Reign currently weighs so much is that my front wheel consists of a 700 gram rim, DH tube and a 1400g tire. My rear tire is also a hefty 1000g. If you do a search over Giant forum, people have posted weights of their Reign frames and they seem to fall into the 7.5-8lb range. Most builds seem to be in the 30-33lb range.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I called Wheel World on Fri the 19th. They said they were all out except for a 15" That one was on hold. Did i get bad info? KNEECAP what shop did your buddy go into? West Hills or Culver City? Wheel World has great prices, but I've never trusted the salesmen much.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Wow, that is a great price!

However, anybody willing to put the elbow grease into it can usually do a bit better, if they'er willing to buy a complete bike, part it out and photograph everything, and slam what you don't want on eBay.

Giant (and Iron Horse, the real dw-link) are both spec'd with high-value components that, in past experience, have either paid for the frame outright (my '03 IH Hollowpoint), or cost me $100 (my '05 IH MkIII) to $150 (my '01 Giant NRS) total.

Takes some work, and you've still got to find the bike for the right price, but it's very do-able.

·
kneecap
1,641 Posts
fiveo said:
I called Wheel World on Fri the 19th. They said they were all out except for a 15" That one was on hold. Did i get bad info? KNEECAP what shop did your buddy go into? West Hills or Culver City? Wheel World has great prices, but I've never trusted the salesmen much.
The deal is only at culver city. Here's how I'm told it works, you have to pay at the store first, they then acess a bike at their warehouse, strip one down for you & give you a call. Another trip to the store & the bike is yours. Kinda convulted, no phone or internet sales on this item, & not even all the shop personal are aware of what's going on with this.
I'm a 20" frame, was told yesterday, plenty of them left.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Kneecap, Thanks for getting back to me. I got my VT1 from the valley store a few years ago. Great Price but not the sharpest tools in the shed work there. Do you have any idea on who you dealt with? So i can make sure I talk to someone w ho knows what they are doing before I make the drive to Culver City from Thousand Oaks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts