Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some real noticeable play in my upper shock bushing. I've narrowed it down to that as I can grasp the pin connected to the maestro linkage, lift up and feel it moving in the upper shock eyelet. The pin/bolt is tightened pretty snug.

I had my LBS swap the bushing only a few months ago.

I have heard about a 5 peice DU bushing from fox that might be more of a solid fix.

I'm wondering if I can significantly damage the maestro linkage in any way by continuing to ride it like this? If i've worn the eyelet itself on the shock it is of less concern, as I'm going to be upgrading the shock this season. Is this normal wear and tear to have to swap these every few months? 5th season on the bike and this is just now becoming a problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fox aluminum shock bushing hardware wears fast. I have used Rockshox 3 piece hardware, cheap readily avaible and last longer. I can't speak for the new Fox hardware never seen or tried it. Reign upper hardware is 21.8 mm, Reign X 22.2 mm.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The other option that worked very well was the needle bearing kit from Real World Cycles. I had changed out the DU bushing on my 2010 Reign to this for my Monarch RC3 Plus and it was quite smooth.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when we pulled the shock off, the hardware slipped right out of the DU bushing on the upper eyelet. It was worn. All my LBS had in stock was the stock hardware, so I put in a new set and bushing. Hopefully it will last me a while as my old hardware actually lasted quite a few seasons. If/when I upgrade to a Monarch Plus RC3, then i'll get the rockshox hardware that comes with it.

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts