Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been alot of talk of this lately, but I just thought i would share this.

Was just away for a few days, Beechworth in Victoria, (for you Aussie guys) on a riding / family holiday. Dropped into a bike shop in Bright, just for a look, and was shocked to see an 2009 Anthem X2 for $2800 Aussie.:eekster: Not sure if this price is due to it being in a country shop out of the city, but that is $800 more than I bought mine for 3 months ago. I know the price went up the week I got mine by $200 to $2200, but another $600 !

There was talk on here of a Jan 09 price increase, has anyone else noticed another increase ? Glad i didnt wait any longer to get mine.

Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
sicwombat,

Unfortunately yes those price increases are right across the country. I got to have a look at the Giant 2009 pricelist (they have taken prices off their website) and got a shock when I read through it. Ouch indeed.

Anthem X0 I was slobbering over has gone up to $6,899 and the X Ltd up to $8,499. So a 40% increase give or take and this seems to be applied right across Giant's lineup.

Am expecting this to be a feature for most manufacturers this year.

Someone at my local LBS I spoke to made a good point regarding this - manufacturers in a year or two will want to start dropping the prices of their bikes but will do so by dropping the spec.

I have no idea if that is what will happen but seems fairly plausible to me.

I still want the Anthem X0 but it is far from a done deal for me now (at its original price of $5k I was planning to have it by April). I may cop out and get an older 2nd hand model as 2nd had prices have dropped heavily in last 6 months although that may change now the price of new bikes has gone up.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'd think you guys would have better prices than the US or Europe being that you're so close to Taiwan compared :skep: Pretty much all the manufacturers are hiking prices, but that does seem a fairly big increase in prices - they may be getting greedy and going the way of SpecialED and thinking that maybe they're not a mass producing bike company anymore and maybe think they deserve "boutique" pricing :rolleyes:

With regards to the components spec dropping to lower prices, ain't nothing new, they do it all the time just look at the first year the Maestros came out and compare to the following year - I got my original '05 Trance3 w/ all LX for $1500 US the next year that bike with same price didn't have the same spec.

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
gixer7 said:
sicwombat,

Anthem X0 I was slobbering over has gone up to $6,899 and the X Ltd up to $8,499. So a 40% increase give or take and this seems to be applied right across Giant's lineup.
Bicycle prices are insane. You can buy a moto-x bike with vastly more material & engineering for that sort of money. We are being fleeced.:madmax:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.