Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up.

As of January 01 Giant will raise pricesacross the range, again. :eek:

This also means that any bike you put a deposit on now, which doesn't arrive before January 01, will be charged at the new increased price.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is Giant's move to save profits and it will be their downfall as consumers buy even less than they are now. Maybe they haven't seen the world economy numbers. Do they think we are going to buy more by raising price tags?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
All companies have been raising their prices. Maybe this isn't the best time for it, given the economy and all, but that's the way it goes. It's a business, and they still need to make a profit. It's a fine line, and it's risky, which is why some businesses succeed and some don't. I think Giant will be okay one way or the other. If you can't afford it (like me), buy a model one level down. Bikes these days work so much better than yesterday's bikes, you're still getting a great deal.

·
Registered
590 Posts
mountainbiker24 said:
If you can't afford it (like me), buy a model one level down. Bikes these days work so much better than yesterday's bikes, you're still getting a great deal.
True bikes are better than those in the past but, increasing prices even more than the current increases won't make me buy a lower model. You are kidding yourself if you think you are still getting a great deal as the price goes up.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Classified Spam...Anthem X

Justin Fox said:
Just a heads up.

As of January 01 Giant will raise pricesacross the range, again. :eek:

This also means that any bike you put a deposit on now, which doesn't arrive before January 01, will be charged at the new increased price.
Which is why this is a decent deal I would think...It is up here in Canada...Not trying to post spam, but really just looking to get someone a decent deal and recoup my losses since I needed a large...

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showcat.php/cat/500/ppuser/251821

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
GiantMartin said:
All manufacturers are raising their prices, and if they're not then they will be.
This is true but if someone has a deposit on a product and they were quoted a price the distributor cannot suddenly bump the price on delivery and say Oh were sorry but as of Jan 1st everything went up so now you have to pay more. :nonod:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
GiantMartin said:
All manufacturers are raising their prices, and if they're not then they will be.
The raising of prices across the board for the industry does not make sense to me. I just don't see the market being able to pull it off given the state of the worlds economy.

I realize that there is a balancing act the bike companies are having to play.

It's gonna be interesting to watch what happens over the next 24 months or so.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
chas_martel said:
The raising of prices across the board for the industry does not make sense to me. I just don't see the market being able to pull it off given the state of the worlds economy.

I realize that there is a balancing act the bike companies are having to play.

It's gonna be interesting to watch what happens over the next 24 months or so.
The price increase was put into effect way before the real crisis hit the States, very early this year. New riders are always shocked at how much it cost for a real MTB they generally are looking to spend a couple hun for a bike so there is no extra shock. The riders that are in the know may decide to upgrade versus replace and look for another year before replacing ol faithful. ;)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Don’t forget that if you order your 09 bike before January you’ll not only get a cheaper price but a lot of bike shops are having a really good time so will be more inclined to give you a deal and if your in the UK the VAT has been reduced which takes a further 2.5%off. And as dogonfr says, I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to go back on a said price after an agreement has been made in the UK, therefore they can’t charge you more by telling the ship to sail slowly so it arrives after January 1st.

Thanks to Mr Darling I get another £1.50 off my new Kona pedals on top of my usual 10% off from the LBS.:eekster:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The Kona Wah Wah’s of course. They should be lighter, look nicer, have more grip, possibly have a better profile and definitely be a lot thinner. I’ve been wanting a pair for a while, then they won a flat pedal test last month and I knew I had to have them. Assuming my LBS can get them, they will be squeezed along with a new front wheel (Hope ProII & Mavic321) into my Christmas stocking!

That’s the extent of the biking bits I’m getting for Christmas though, as far as I know…:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, if Giant is raising its prices on new models somebody needs to buy my new custom built 06 Trance in the Classifieds section. Should be a pretty good deal that is if anyone is in the market during this economic slump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oz price increase

Just heard yesterday that the price rise for Anthem X0 in Australia will be $5,699 to $6,799.. Anthem Ltd will jump from $6,799 to around $8,500. Its interesting that GIANT in Oz upped their prices a few months ago by a decent amount .. the drop in our dollar could have been blamed for that one .. but since then the dollar has been pretty stable .. crappy but stable .. so another price hike of this much is pretty hard to swallow.

I was lucky enough to get my Anthem X0 delivered this month .. had I waited another week to order it I wouldn;t have been getting one .. another $1,000 would have been to hard to justify.

Only positive is the second hand market .. if prices stay up for a while .. and that's usually the trend after an increase (Giant aren;t going to turn around mid-year and drop $1,500 off their top end bikes) you could actually turn a profit or break even on a used bike in the years to come !

Its all swings and rouns-a-bouts though .. at least in Oz .. petrol pices have dropped significantly of late, interest rates are dropping .. so people have a bit of extra cash .. but the downside of all those positives is that prices go up .. and its not just bikes in Oz .. everything will see price rises if they haven't already in the new year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.