Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wifes 04 NSR 1 left a puddle of oil under the fork last fall. I bought the bike for her used last year and all the markings are off the fork so I am not sure what it is. I would rather just reseal it but with no markings and enough changes on the bike I cant be sure its the original. looking at stock photos I am pretty sure its not since its black not grey.

do I bother playing the guess the fork game?

can someone suggest a good replacement fork in the $300 or less range? Currently looking at a Manitou marvel comp or Rock Shox XC32TK or 30 Gold TK.

This will be mostly light single track so a XC fork should be more than enough.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, here are some photos. Let me know if anyone can identify the fork.

The only markings I could find:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a Manitou fork and you'll be able to get parts to service it when you can ID the model.
i was thinking that might be a Manitou logo but I wasnt sure. Bikepedia lists the stock fork as a Manitou Skareb Comp SPV, maybe it is still the stock fork.

·
B A N N E D
5,318 Posts
I was thinking that it might be something like a Manitou Black Super Air TPC

Measure the stanchions, the Skarebs had 28.6mm stanchions, the Blacks had 30mm stanchions.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking that it might be something like a Manitou Black Super Air

Measure the stanchions, the Skarebs had 28.6mm stanchions, the Blacks had 30mm stanchions.
I will measure them tonight and see what size they are. thanks!

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
That's a manitou black, looks coil spring with the cap on the left leg, but it's hard to see.

They are fixable and easy to work on. The only part which isn't servicable is the damper shaft, if it's leaking through it. They can be re-crimped to seal, but not at home. The seals around the damper shaft and everywhere else are replaceable.

Find a clean area, lay down lots of newspaper, remove the bolt in the spring side, undo the screw holding the rebound knob in and using an 8mm allen key screw the damper side compression rod into the fork. Clockwise.

The lowers will now just pull off.
If it was an oil bath fork then expect the remains of about 16cc of oil per side to be in the lowers. If it was a grease fork (grease ports on the back of the legs) then any oil in the lower legs will have leaked there from the damper.

Report back with what you find.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
B A N N E D
5,318 Posts

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
By the way, that Manitou is a good fork and, in my opinion, still performs well today. I think it's absolutely worth fixing and continuing to ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts