Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross-posting from the general forum: I have a 2002 Giant NRS2, still in good working order (I've replaced drivetrain components along the way as they wear out.) I've never touched the rear suspension; 8 years later I have some lateral slop, and the lower chamber on the shock doesn't hold pressure. I found a bearing&bushing kit that came without any torque specs or schematic. I also found several unused Rockshox SID xc shocks (without rebound adjust) on eBay.

Does anyone know the torque specs for my rear suspension/linkages? How about a schematic to make sure I assemble it correctly?

Can I screw the lower cannister of one of these eBay shocks into the upper cannister of my shock (mine is the same, but with rebound adjust.) If not, am I losing much wihout the rebound adjust?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I used to have a few NRS bikes one is at the shop and I had the rear shox re built at fox
I had replaced all the bearing & bushing, I have never done anything with the shox other than that. BUT! call Giant! they have always been very helpful on the phone they can most likely! give you the Schematic in pdf fourm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
alternate rear shock

I bought an NRS2 frame off ebay last year, and it came with a Fox Float shock with rebound adjust. It works just fine. So I don't think you have to be too concerned about fixing or replacing the exact same shock. As long as the measurements of eye to eye are the same, a different shock should work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Shock size is 6.5x1.5 eye to eye. The NRS has a Float R that is modified from any other float R shock. You would have to have it modified if you just got a random Fox fork. I would stick with the shock you have. Grab an air sleeve maintenance kit and give her an overhaul though. It definately needs it! Simple to do and the kit costs about ten bucks. Videos abound on Youtube showing how simple it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
spookyload said:
Shock size is 6.5x1.5 eye to eye. The NRS has a Float R that is modified from any other float R shock. You would have to have it modified if you just got a random Fox fork. I would stick with the shock you have. .
Can you explain what is different about a Float R for an NRS? I got my NRS2 frame from eBay, and I would like to know if it has the proper Float R shock. Is there something I can see on it? It does have a ring around it which will either "increase" or "decrease" but I haven't really been able to figure out what that changes, or which way to turn that for different ride characteristics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 NRS2 as well, great bike! I think my Rock Shox SID rear shock isn't working properly, it sounds squishy and the lower valve leaks oil. I found one on ebay that looks identical, the description is "Rock Shox SID XC 6" Dual Air Mountain Bike Rear Shock", can anyone tell me if this shock will work on my bike?

Or do I even need to fix/replace the one I have?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I found one on ebay that looks identical
I also have an 03' NRS2. If I were you, I'd rebuild the SID. It would be much cheaper than replacing it. If the internal components of the shock are damage, yes, than replace it.
Also, don't go by looks when comparing shocks, go by dimensions. There are a lot of different sizes out there. Not sure what the dimensions are for a NRS rear shock.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also have an NRS2 (about 8 yrs old) and there seem to be a lot of pdf documents posted on the web with all kinds of technical data for Giant rear suspension and shock setups. You may be able to find additional information by finding some of these

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally getting to the rebuild

It's been cool and wet in New England, so I haven't had much impetus to do the overhaul. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. My plan is to take the original shock apart, clean and lube and see if it will go back together. If not, then I'll look around for a replacement.

Can someone confirm or correct the torque specs? I think it's 85 in-lb for everything except the lower shock-mount, which is 105 in-lb...

Thanks

·
dirtbag
1,532 Posts
@dtaffe:
Upper shock mount = 12-15 Nm
Lower shock mount = 10-12 Nm

per www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload.../NRS Owners Manual.pdf

I'm in the process of refreshing my NRS's suspension. Ordered a new Reba and will order a Push Monarch shock. I really don't want to rebuild by CC Cloud Nine shock and want to try a different shock. My only question is whether I should order a standard volume air can = progressive spring curve or a high volume air can = linear spring curve.

Any NRS riders want to chime in with some info on which shock will work on the unique NRS suspesion?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up pulling it off, greasing everything and remounting it. The lower chamber seems to be holding pressure better after that. The linkage bearings all went smoothly. I haven't had it on a "real ride" yet, but tooling around the yard and neighborhood it seems smoother, less side-to-side play.

In the end it was much easier than expected. Pretty simple, really.

·
Registered
72 Posts
welp im in nearly the same boat- 2001 nrs air with rs sid xc read shock that wont hold air in the lower chamber. I have no problem trying to rebuild it, but I'm reading that rebuilt kits can no longer be found. hrm.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I found a guy on ebay who rebuilds the SID rear shocks for about $50. I sent mine to him last week and I'll post his info when I get it back. I don't want to rep the guy if it's not legit but I'm hopeful as he had a lot of positive feedback.

·
Registered
47 Posts
02 AC Air Lite with SID XC

I'm in the same boat, just a slightly different bike. My 02 AC Air Lite has been gathering dust for 5+ years. I decided to start riding more this year and after a few rides, I noticed that the negative air chamber in the stock SID XC isn't holding full pressure any longer. Anyone have suggestions for finding rebuild/seal kits?

Blue Bye - I'd be quite interested in your experience with the rebuild person and (potentially) their contact info.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.