Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

New to this MTB thing and have a Giant NRS1, i think maybe 03 or 04. The fork is a Rock Shox SID that the lockout stopped working on, and the rear shock is a Rock Shox SID ( no locout). I weigh about 190 and neither of these components instill me with confidence.

So I am thinking of replacing both, and would like suggestions of good bang for the buck items I could replace them with.

Thanks

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The rear SID shock is actually a very good shock and is designed for the "zero sag" design of the NRS frame. I would not replace it, maybe give it a servicing though. The lock out on the front fork stopped working because the oil in the damper is low. Those dampers in the SID were designed to run full to the top...any air in it will defeat the lock out. A damper service with fresh oil will get the lock out working again. Still, the SID was pretty flexy back then. You didn't give any $$$ limits so I will just say if you want to replace it look at XC forks with 32mm stanchions and IMO Rock Shox and Fox are the brands to look at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, sure enough I took it apart and there was almost zero oil in the fork. I'll try it with oil and setup correctly, like you said it was flexy before so I will still probably change it.
Do you have any idea where to find a service manual on the shock? I found plenty of setup documents but nothing about taking it apart.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.