Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
I recently moved to Mexico but didn't bring my bike w/ me! So, there is a guy down here selling a 2003 NRS 2 for $1300 american dollars. Is that too much. I did some research and the bike has all stocked parts and is in very good condition.
I think it might have retailed for around that price back in 2003 ($1300), so what do you think?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I wouldn't do it

I'm not sure of the dynamics of the market in Mexico, so I could be way off here, but why would you consider paying list price for a used bike that's 4 years old? The depreciation here in the US is such that I wouldn't pay more than about $700 for it, personally. Probably less, but I'm erring on the side that the bike is in great shape with little wear.

Bob

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I'm with Clyde on this one.

I live in Mexico... 13000 pesos for a complete 2003 NRS is a rip-off in the US, but sounds reasonable around here. I'd have to take a look at the bike.

Maybe you could negotiate a little. Never pay an "asked price" in Mexico as rebating (right word? When you argue about the price looking for a reduction) is a common practice in Mexico and sellers commonly inflate the price a little as the first question a buyer ask is "is that your best and final price?"

I don't do that, but many people do.

That said, you'll be better off buying a used/complete bike in the US and bringing it here. If you have a relative or friend coming to Mexico, you'd rather pay him to get exactly what you want.

Availability is another problem around here.

The inflated prices come from the fact that bikes are outrageously expensive from the LBS here for several reasons.

My buddies and I prefer to bring the bikes in from the US instead of buying around here. Off around 10 of my riding buddies, only two of them have bikes bought domestically and they're low end'ish.

Maybe it's more than you wish to spend on a bike, but the brands that are reasonably priced here are Cannondale, low end Giantsand oddly enough, Santa Cruz. All the rest are plain too expensive.

As for components... Shimano and Fox have similar prices than those of the US. All the rest become just too expensive.

I invite you to come to the Mexico board... you'll be more than welcome. Also, you can cross post your thread there.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah- I have found the selection here in Mexico to be very limited. Thats why I feel my hands are tied on this one. I have also asked locals about any bike shops in Guad. but I get little to no reply. I know this can't be so.
I will check the Mexican forum, I didn't even know it existed.
BTW-I planned on talking him down to (hopefully) 11,000 p, but we will see on that.
Likewise, I saw on ebay the same bike selling for a "buy it now price" of $1100.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
cummings93 said:
Yeah- I have found the selection here in Mexico to be very limited. Thats why I feel my hands are tied on this one. I have also asked locals about any bike shops in Guad. but I get little to no reply. I know this can't be so.
I will check the Mexican forum, I didn't even know it existed.
BTW-I planned on talking him down to (hopefully) 11,000 p, but we will see on that.
Likewise, I saw on ebay the same bike selling for a "buy it now price" of $1100.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Seems like a good deal, then.

Come on over to the Mexico Board. There's a guy from GDL (Guadalajara)... I can't remember his screen name, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.