Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback....

I've had enough of my Specialized 2001 FSR - Bent Deraiulleurs (sic), bent cassettes and rims, etc. etc.

Lookin at the Giant NRS 2 - 20.5" - I'm 6'2 and 225.....What are your thoughts and opinions on the sturdiness of this bike for my size? I'm comfortable with the components and geometry of the bike as presented but looking for some feedback based on your experiences.

The price from my LBS is competitive. $1425.00 plus tax comes out to around $1500.00. For that I get assembly, fitting and a years worth of maintenance.

Thanks for you help,

B.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
I guess it depends on the type of riding you do. I had a 2002 and I thought the frame was really thin and dented easy IMHO.I never dented mine, but I heard alot of complaints about it. Also noticed that when the chain was under a heavy load, the frame would flex a bit. I have no experience with the newer models, so it may be redesigned some. I was 220 pounds when I had it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ditto - same size and weight and I ride a 02 NRS. No major issues with the frame. I have broke hangers, cassettes, wheels too. It sounds like your are upset with the groupo than the frame. At our size we break stuff.

I will say - not until the I rented a blur on travel and I never noticed the amount of flex on my NRS.

·
Bike Junkie
378 Posts
NRS Opinion

I had a 2002 NRS 2, the new re-enforcement on the seat tube was a requirement because I've seen my lighter 140lbs riding buddy break his 2000 NRS Team frame at that point. So it's plus for us guys.

There is a little lateral flex from the linkage; but I never personally noticed. And I would be, like others state, that you wouldn't notice until you got on a stiff bike. I did ride a small.

One thing that may or may not affect you is the air shock. I ran the shock close to the max pressure. I think it was 250lbs on the SID shock and I was running it at 225-230lbs. I was afraid that the pressue would cause more leakage; but I never experienced it.

Wheels, they'll be too wimpy for sure. My 2002 has the x223 rims and I found that I could be truing them forever. I was no heavy hitting rider; just good trail rides.

On mine, they were using a shimmed seatpost, 30.2 (or something like that) shimmed for a 27.2 post. I just found that it wasn't as stiff as when I replaced with the 30.2 Thomson.

I will admit that the price and components for the NRS2 is awesome. You can't get much better spec than on these Giant's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
NRS is fine

I have really pushed my NRS to the limits, I think. I bought just the frame and built it up with XT components. Started with Mavic222 rims and had to have them trued/ respoked. Moved up to disc brakes XT hubs and Mavic F219 and have not had problem one with the wheelset. Took the bike on a trip this summer the the mountains of New Mexico and pushed the bike to edge of what I think it can handle: 1-2 ' dropoffs, 8-12% grade downhills and have not noticed a single problem. I am 6'2" and 210#. Buy the NRS and upgrade to XT level components as you wear out/ break parts. Don't be concerned about braking parts, it is going to happen and it will give you a chance to personalize your ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What about the VT3?

I have an 2003 NRS1. Rode it for about a year before I bought a 2004 VT2. I ride mainly cross country. I hardly EVER ride my NRS1 anymore unless I am racing. Which is not often compared to the amount of time spent on my bike. The VT is so much more fun to ride. Weight difference for someone our size is negligible in my opinion. And the frame doesn't seem to have the flex like my NRS does. I can't prove this, but sometimes the NRS under load feels like it's flexing so much it mis-shifts. VT, even with lower priced components shifts beautifully even under load. I am 6'3" 250

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 6'7", 300lbs and ride a 03 NRS 3. It has been a good bike. I have some problems with ghost shifting on narly uphills but other than that no problems. The front forks (pilots) are with out a doubt no good for a clyde and will be my next upgrade. The stock bars that come with I found to low and gave me neck/shoulder pain. I upgraded them with a good riser bar and have never had pain again. Stock Mavic Rims will bend quick - upgrade them with ryno lytes, they are great.

I don't recommend any high drops with this bike if you are a cyde, I think the most I have done is about 2 feet, and would consider nevr doing that again.

It is a great bike. - Any one know how to fix the ghost shifting problem???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.