Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about building a DH bike and I see alot of frames in my price range. Two of which has caught my eye those are the giant glory 2008 or maybe a 2011 for a little more. And the santa cruz bullit. What do you think would be the stronger choice?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
420... lol! I like you already.

The Glory would be better in terms of suspension platform. If you're gonna ride hard, do whips and land sidewayz, the Maestro suspension might hold up better than the single pivot Bullit. However, both bikes are on the steep and tall side in terms of geometry.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
2011 Glory if you can swing it. Great bike.The geometry is "better" than the 2008 Glory and the frame is a lot lighter. Go for it if you want a true DH bike.
2008 Glory frame is a tank and the angles are "old school". Still a good DH bike though.
Bullits are awesome, but not a true DH bike by modern standards. Fun bike for the bike park and they can certainly do DH duty, but they lack the low and slack geometry of modern DH bikes.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sc Bullits will still be around after the nuclear holocaust. I used to do 20+ foot drops (no, I'm not exaggerating) on mine and it showed no signs of weakness after 8 seasons. I eventually sold it for a more modern Sx Trail but DAMN, I miss my Bullit!

The geometry, as others said, isn't quite as dedicated-dh as some designs - but it's well within the range of workable. What a lot of people seem to forget is that it's really mostly about the rider, not the bike. I certainly used to embarrass people who were on full dh rigs, and you could end up doing the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks this is very good advice. I am still just a beginner so I have to alot to learn still. I just need something with a little more travel than what I ride now. I would just like something I could take to Colorado to do some flow parks

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
another vote for the 2011 Glory. The newer frame design makes a big difference in how it rides. Much lighter, and better at jumping. The Bullit is an excellent bike, but for overall DH riding, I think the Glory is a better performer, even if it costs a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts