Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the offset chain for? Also, what grips did you swap out too? I feel the ribs on the stock Giant ones are too soft for me. The ribs move under my ha d too much.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
A 52mm chain line seems to be the “standard” for bikes with boost spacing. For some reason Giant speced the fathom 2 (praxis crank) with a 0mm offset ring which makes it a 55mm chain line. The 3mm offset ring brings the front chain ring 3mm more inwards which makes the chain a little more straight when you are in your lowest gears (biggest cogs). The fathom 1 comes with the SX crank comes with a 3mm offset ring.

I have ODI dread lock grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A 52mm chain line seems to be the “standard” for bikes with boost spacing. For some reason Giant speced the fathom 2 (praxis crank) with a 0mm offset ring which makes it a 55mm chain line. The 3mm offset ring brings the front chain ring 3mm more inwards which makes the chain a little more straight when you are in your lowest gears (biggest cogs). The fathom 1 comes with the SX crank comes with a 3mm offset ring.

I have ODI dread lock grips.

Oh okay thanks. I understand a little more now.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I have been informed that the BBs shell is 92mm on this bike. With the exchange of the BB to a Shimano BB-MT800-P (which says will fit 89.5/92) will an XT 8100-1 crank fit this bike (the crank info says it will fit this BB). I currently have one on order and I am nervous it might not fit. Some of this BB stuff confuses me. Has anybody swapped their crank for a Shimano or can anyone shed some light on this for me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The deore shifter isn't too bad honestly but I will likely get a XT as well. The double down shift option is awesome.

So far I have done deore 4 pistons, 3mm offset chain ring, grips and pedals.
Hmmm...I didn't think of that...not a terribly expensive upgrade, I might have to consider this. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The 3mm offset chainring makes a huge difference. I have zero issues now and now chain drops. Problem is they don’t have 30t in stock so praxis will send out a 32t. It does make a difference and I prefer the 30t. I’ve put race face pedals,35mm rise bars,diety grips and aftermarket chain. I need to find a riser stem to help bring the bars up more. Stack feels low and the front seems super heavy and I feel like I’m a bit over the front also. I’d rather be in a neutral position

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I finally got to hit some pretty aggressive trails on Sunday. Everything from fast flowy sections to slow and technical rocks and downhills. The tektros do stop you but have zero modulation. What’s a good brake set up that isint going to cost two arms and a leg? I’m looking for 2 pistons front and rear.

·
Registered
343 Posts
So I finally got to hit some pretty aggressive trails on Sunday. Everything from fast flowy sections to slow and technical rocks and downhills. The tektros do stop you but have zero modulation. What’s a good brake set up that isint going to cost two arms and a leg? I’m looking for 2 pistons front and rear.
Here's some Deore 2 piston, $159

Deore 4 piston, $199
I bought from this exact vendor and had a great experience. I would say they are a bit stronger (they say 10-15%) than my older Deore 2 piston brakes on another bike. Biggest difference is that the modulation is a lot better. Tbh, it's not a big difference imo...I did have to buy a longer rear line and got ripped off at the lbs because I couldn't wait. Almost $50 for a rear line that goes for like $23... :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here's some Deore 2 piston, $159

Deore 4 piston, $199
I bought from this exact vendor and had a great experience. I would say they are a bit stronger (they say 10-15%) than my older Deore 2 piston brakes on another bike. Biggest difference is that the modulation is a lot better. Tbh, it's not a big difference imo...I did have to buy a longer rear line and got ripped off at the lbs because I couldn't wait. Almost $50 for a rear line that goes for like $23... :(
Ok thanks, the front brakes are so on/off it gave me a few oh crap moments where I locked the front brake up. Coming from motocross background and I ride dual sports I’m so used to modulation,I jump on this thing and it almost put me in a scary situation. I’ll check them out

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Ok thanks, the front brakes are so on/off it gave me a few oh crap moments where I locked the front brake up. Coming from motocross background and I ride dual sports I’m so used to modulation,I jump on this thing and it almost put me in a scary situation. I’ll check them out
I always thought people were full of **** when they said “4 piston shimanos have way better modulation than 2 piston shimanos” but it is true.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts