Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got my Giant Fathom 2 29er and I love the bike. Couple things I noticed and dislike are:

The shifter - i feel that the trigger is in a weird spot when I position the thumb lever to what is comfortable. I looked into a rear trigger shifter (SRAM XT I believe) for around $30... is this a good shifter? Any opinions on the rear trigger setup?

Also, the dropper seat lever... it feels to me that it is poor quality, but I've never had a dropper post before so not 100% sure how it should feel. It functions properly.

Overall, bike is solid and it us fun to ride.

Let me know if you have any good or bad opinions.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the 27.5 version. I like the shifter since you can do from the front or the back... I’m going to do the brakes and then prob the cranks and add a riser handle bar

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too like the Shimano shifter for the ability to use thumb or pointer to shift. I'm upgrading a bunch of stuff, partly because I had a bunch of stuff on hand, partly because there were a couple of things I didn't like, and partly because I can't leave well enough alone! I thought the dropper lever was a little cheap also. There was kind of a spot on the post where it was dragging a bit, so I bought a Wolftooth lever and a Fox post to replace them with.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 27.5 version. I like the shifter since you can do from the front or the back... I’m going to do the brakes and then prob the cranks and add a riser handle bar
It can be shifted using my thumb for both up and down?
I too like the Shimano shifter for the ability to use thumb or pointer to shift. I'm upgrading a bunch of stuff, partly because I had a bunch of stuff on hand, partly because there were a couple of things I didn't like, and partly because I can't leave well enough alone! I thought the dropper lever was a little cheap also. There was kind of a spot on the post where it was dragging a bit, so I bought a Wolftooth lever and a Fox post to replace them with.
As mentioned above... I can shift this bike using thumb or pointer for the same shifting feature. Meaning I can shift it up with thumb or pointer? Is there something I have to change to do this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
It can be shifted using my thumb for both up and down?As mentioned above... I can shift this bike using thumb or pointer for the same shifting feature. Meaning I can shift it up with thumb or pointer? Is there something I have to change to do this?

How is the suspension?

·
Registered
235 Posts
It can be shifted using my thumb for both up and down?As mentioned above... I can shift this bike using thumb or pointer for the same shifting feature. Meaning I can shift it up with thumb or pointer? Is there something I have to change to do this?
All Shimano (Deore, SLX, XT, XTR) shifters in 1x12 (and most 11 or 10 speed) allow you to shift to a smaller cog/faster gear by pulling the smaller lever with your finger or pushing the other side of the same lever with your thumb.

the big lever for bigger cog/slower gear is thumb push only.

For SRAM, levers are thumb push only for both upshift and downshift.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The shifter - i feel that the trigger is in a weird spot when I position the thumb lever to what is comfortable. I looked into a rear trigger shifter (SRAM XT I believe) for around $30... is this a good shifter? Any opinions on the rear trigger setup?

Also, the dropper seat lever... it feels to me that it is poor quality, but I've never had a dropper post before so not 100% sure how it should feel. It functions properly.
I don't own this bike but recently bought a Norco Fluid HT which has very similar parts. Here is what I did.

Shifter - I too find the finger trigger seems in an slightly odd spot if you rotate the thumb shifter to where you want it. Never had this problem with older 9 and 10 speed shifters. Maybe try changing both up and down using your thumb

Dropper lever. My one worked fine too. But, it felt a bit cheap and wobbly.
I hear very good things about the bikeyoke Triggy dropper lever. Read this link for more --> What’s the best dropper post remote? 6 models reviewed | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine
Also - the Shimano SL-MT800 lever is awesome but requires Shimano ISPEC-EV brakes to mount to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the suspension?
Suspension is smooth, but i have the clicking fork issue. Doesnt hinder performance, but sound annoying.
All Shimano (Deore, SLX, XT, XTR) shifters in 1x12 (and most 11 or 10 speed) allow you to shift to a smaller cog/faster gear by pulling the smaller lever with your finger or pushing the other side of the same lever with your thumb.

the big lever for bigger cog/slower gear is thumb push only.

For SRAM, levers are thumb push only for both upshift and downshift.
I love it now. Lol. I had NO IDEA it could shift both finger and thumb style. Now I can move it to where my thumb isn't hitting lever with middle of my thumb.

What a difference.

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Suspension is smooth, but i have the clicking fork issue. Doesnt hinder performance, but sound annoying. I love it now. Lol. I had NO IDEA it could shift both finger and thumb style. Now I can move it to where my thumb isn't hitting lever with middle of my thumb.

What a difference.

Thanks.

Me too, there is 2 other forums that discuss this issue. I am getting it replaced, bushing play like that sucks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me too, there is 2 other forums that discuss this issue. I am getting it replaced, bushing play like that sucks.
Is that what it is.. bushing play?

My LBS reached out to Giant multiple times in last few weeks, but no response.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is that what it is.. bushing play?

My LBS reached out to Giant multiple times in last few weeks, but no response.

Same here with my shop. No response and no one in any other thread has said anything different. Mine has bushing play in the left side. It creeks something crazy after 73mi and at the top of the stroke you can feel the play and hear it most.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same here with my shop. No response and no one in any other thread has said anything different. Mine has bushing play in the left side. It creeks something crazy after 73mi and at the top of the stroke you can feel the play and hear it most.
I actually received a message yesterday asking for pictures of fork(guessing for abuse/cosmetics), serial # of fork, and serial # of frame.

Sounds like something is happening ... hopefully.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven’t received anything,did you purchase online or lbs
I purchased in LBS. I walked in and ordered it and they said March. 1 hour later they said they will get it in 1 week... the got it two days later and I was rockin!

Hopefully you hear something soon. Did you order online?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased in LBS. I walked in and ordered it and they said March. 1 hour later they said they will get it in 1 week... the got it two days later and I was rockin!

Hopefully you hear something soon. Did you order online?

Very cool, Giant has referred me strictly to my shop, they won’t answer any questions. Did you get an email from them or the shop you worked with?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very cool, Giant has referred me strictly to my shop, they won’t answer any questions. Did you get an email from them or the shop you worked with?
I didn’t think online was an option. I drove 2.5h to get mine same day on 12/22.
I will say this interaction has me second guessing a shop at all. I don’t see what the shop is doing at this point that I couldn’t do. Also, when I call or show up only one person gives me the time of day or has the slightest bit of enthusiasm. Fortunately that person is the warranty guy.
My shop called me. My shop has been extremely helpful. They reached out to Giant around d 4 times before finally hearing back. Our LBS has been great. I'm still riding it too until they replace it(hopefully)

·
Registered
50 Posts
My shop called me. My shop has been extremely helpful. They reached out to Giant around d 4 times before finally hearing back. Our LBS has been great. I'm still riding it too until they replace it(hopefully)

I can say that my previous post was in frustration and some of my interactions have been really great. I do not live close to a shop or even good trails. That is the reason I contemplate what I can do vs going out of town for service or purchase. Anyone who reads this should know there are great shops out there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can say that my previous post was in frustration and some of my interactions have been really great. I do not live close to a shop or even good trails. That is the reason I contemplate what I can do vs going out of town for service or purchase. Anyone who reads this should know there are great shops out there.
I understand for sure. Working on your own is fun too. I hand an old GT Avalanche that I felt 100% comfortable wrenching on. This new bike seems so advanced. I gotta learn more about it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The deore shifter isn't too bad honestly but I will likely get a XT as well. The double down shift option is awesome.

So far I have done deore 4 pistons, 3mm offset chain ring, grips and pedals.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The deore shifter isn't too bad honestly but I will likely get a XT as well. The double down shift option is awesome.

So far I have done deore 4 pistons, 3mm offset chain ring, grips and pedals.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the offset chain for? Also, what grips did you swap out too? I feel the ribs on the stock Giant ones are too soft for me. The ribs move under my ha d too much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts