Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an offer to trade my bike,a hardtail,for an 03 giant dh comp frame.I was selling my bike hoping to get $600 to $650.Not sure what the size is yet but if it is a med like I want should I get it?I'v never even ridden one so was wonderin if it would be a good bike for me.i need kind of an all around bike like for freeriding,DH,and dirt jumping.Please help me out. thanks

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
HELL YEAH...
The Giant DH is a SWEET ride so if you can put your hands on it GO for it...

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
do you have the $ to build it up? If so...go for it! The Dh's are pretty under-rated in my opinion. It'd be nice to see someone tearing it up on one

·
Registered
524 Posts
Can it fit a front D.? I dont know about freeriding or DJing(your HT would def. be better for it) on it, but DHing on it would def. be an improvement.

·
Perpetrator of Lawsuits
393 Posts
I've never ridden one, but everyone I talk to on the mountain who has one seems to love it. The only negatives I've heard are that they have some sort of a chainline issue, and that the linkage is vulnerable to damage from underneath and the linkage bolts are prone to loosening.

That said, I understand that those issues are in reality pretty minor, so I wouldn't let them disuade you from getting it.

Also, I met one guy who had a company that made replacement linkages for them that gave the bike about 9" of rear travel, so I guess you can upgrade it if you want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
03 comp dh

I have one and I do everything with it...very flickable...moves well in the air....kicks a$$ on the downhills....very huckable...and jumps really nice....go for it dude, you won't be disappointed!

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
BigDigger said:
I've never ridden one, but everyone I talk to on the mountain who has one seems to love it. The only negatives I've heard are that they have some sort of a chainline issue, and that the linkage is vulnerable to damage from underneath and the linkage bolts are prone to loosening.

That said, I understand that those issues are in reality pretty minor, so I wouldn't let them disuade you from getting it.

Also, I met one guy who had a company that made replacement linkages for them that gave the bike about 9" of rear travel, so I guess you can upgrade it if you want.
You have any info on the company that makes replacement linkages for the giant dh's?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Giant DH

I've been riding a Giant DH for a little ovr a year now. That is one bad a$$ bike. I've never had a chainline issue, and the linkage coming apart can be repaired with blue LocTite. The only problem is the weight. I did some e-mailing to dealers and found out the frame weighs 13-15 lbs depending on what size you get (ugh!!!). :eek:

·
Perpetrator of Lawsuits
393 Posts
SocalSuperhero said:
You have any info on the company that makes replacement linkages for the giant dh's?
Not really. I spoke with a guy on the lift who had one. His dad owned a machine shop and thay made them there. It seemed like a relatively small operation, but not like it was just a one-off deal, he expressly said they made them for the public. I also recall him saying that he lived in Big Bear.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more info on the subject

Look on the Giant Forum, search the web, etc. I'm sure their name is out there somewhere. Also, I think Avalanche may do some sort of an upgrade for that bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts