Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Interesting comments around the web. It appears forumites can’t decide if Giant copied Fox, marzocchi, sr suntour or xfusion!!?? Maybe they copied no one and built a fork from the ground up ? The lowers SCS certainly shares nothing with the other forks and the lowers are pretty unique too. Would love to ride one but I suspect this will be fitted to their mid to lower end of the range

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,995 Posts
currently for trail or XC only
120mm or 100mm
1-5 air spring volume tokens possible (1-4 120mm, 3-5 100mm)

2.6 inch tire max for 27.5
2.4 inch max for 29'er

·
West Chester, PA
4,970 Posts
They did this to get a cheaper mid-level fork for their own bikes. If they didn't want to pay a few bucks more for whatever fox and RS supply why would this be something special?
Based on the dirt cheap looking axle I don't think they really put much thought into it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It looks like they spent some money on this project .. look at the manufacturing sections of the video? And they had a lot of guys that know about bikes riding these..

I don't know if they wanted a "cheaper" entry / mid level fork so much as a "better" one?

I haven't ridden a bike with this fork but I have seen this fork in person and it looks pretty decent...

it will be interesting to see if they expand the range to Trail / endro type forks and if they start making shocks as well?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Welllllll

One ride in on my Fathom 2 27.5 and the crest 34 is working ok but is it normal for it to make a lot of air noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I see a LSC knob and a cartridge damper. That could mean anything from bottom barrel port-orifice moco style damper, all the way up to a nice shimmed GRIP style unit.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Curious, not finding any real in depth reviews of this fork. Picking up a '21 Fathom 2 this week so would love to see more on it...
I can't give any long term review because I sold my 2020 fathom but it felt pretty good. After seeing the specs on the new fathom I am probably going to get a 2021 myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2021 fathom 2 about three weeks ago. I've got 3 rides on it so far totaling probably 15 miles. About half of those are on the trail and half on the street.
My thoughts on the crest are that it handles small to mid hits fairly well. I did feel like it was a average when going over chattery sections with fast small bumps. It didn't always keep my front tire planted. It felt nice over small jumps though. I can't say anything as far as big hits are concerned as I don't have access to anything really large and I'm not that pro anyway .
Overall the fork felt decently firm and I didn't experience any sort of brake dive or bottoming out.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I bought a 2021 fathom 2 about three weeks ago. I've got 3 rides on it so far totaling probably 15 miles. About half of those are on the trail and half on the street.
My thoughts on the crest are that it handles small to mid hits fairly well. I did feel like it was a average when going over chattery sections with fast small bumps. It didn't always keep my front tire planted. It felt nice over small jumps though. I can't say anything as far as big hits are concerned as I don't have access to anything really large and I'm not that pro anyway .
Overall the fork felt decently firm and I didn't experience any sort of brake dive or bottoming out.

How do you like that bike? I think I may get a 2021 model when I can find one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly, I love it. It's a great trail bike. Slack head angle(66 degrees), seat tube angle is gnarly (75) degrees
29er, 2.5 tires, it comes 12 speed too

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve not ridden a “27.5” before but my two bikes are a 29er and a 26er.
When I went in to get the fathom, they only had the 29er in stock and I wasn’t sure how to feel because I hadn’t liked my old Diamondback 29er.
Now that I’ve been riding it though, I feel very happy with it. Newer bikes are better designed to work with 29” wheels. I don’t ever feel overly high up or feel any issues with lazy steering. Even with the plus size tires it comes with

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yea my first 29er was a 2013 Trek xcal and I hated that thing. It felt so high up and I felt like I was sitting on top of the bike. My 2018 Fuel EX feels much better.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Considering Giant is a big brand and specs this on two hard tails, why is there not more detail about it? I found Giant's own website but it's pretty thin gruel. The manuals show how to bolt it on, air it up, and turn the knobs, but nothing about the internals or service

·
Registered
260 Posts
Considering Giant is a big brand and specs this on two hard tails, why is there not more detail about it? I found Giant's own website but it's pretty thin gruel. The manuals show how to bolt it on, air it up, and turn the knobs, but nothing about the internals or service
Just trying to find a shop where I could buy 29er version Fathom 1 (I'm in Europe). The Crest 34 fork is still a big question.
Here, a picture can be seen next to the section 'Smooth': https://www.giant-bicycles.com/de/crest-34-fork
I supposed that, this must be the left/air side and internals look like the air spring is a cartridge but somehow looks strange, cartridges used raither at damper side. This video shows some details about the shorter travel 2020 version internals:
Based on this, the fork air side looks OK and serviceable, however the damper side is still a question. Hopefully that will be also serviceable. Of course, Giant should release a .pdf at least with oil types and volumes and a basic maintenance steps guide...

Regarding the 2021 Fathom 27.5 1 and 29 1: interestingly, one of my friends has access to the Giant parts through a bicycle store and noticed that, here in Europe we have 2 versions from e.g. 2021 Fathom 29 1, one is listed with Giant Crest 34 fork and an another one is listed with Rock Shox fork (list doesn't mention any details here, no idea which RS is this). Price is the same.

@the hardest tail: thanks for sharing your first impressions! ;)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It seems like a waste of cash to get the 2021 Fathom 1 in the USA. It appears you get a brake upgrade and IMO a drivetrain downgrade. I would much rather save the $300ish dollars and get the 2 and get some SLX or XT brakes. The Fathom 2 comes with 12 speed deore which I would greatly prefer over the SX Eagle.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts