Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news on a recall on the Giant Crest 34 fork ?
I have a Giant Fathom 1 29 pre-ordered. Normally the fathom 1 29 is supposed to have this fork...Wonder if it's going to affect delivery date.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just bought a Fathom but pick it up friday. I’m going to email them and ask if the fork is recalled.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would be curious on this too. I just picked up my Giant Fathos 2 29er with the Crest 34 fork and I have a clicking noise. Not too sure what the recall is for, but just curious if my symptom is related.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is no recall as far as I know. No mention when I google it and my Giant LBS hasn't heard about it.

Reactions: bigdrowe

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was at Santos Bike shop is Ocala FL today. They had 3 fathoms size M-XL that had play is the fork bushings. When I got my new bike today I rode it for 1 hour of normal trail use and it was making really bad noise. They are going to warranty it. Great bike shop and I’m still lucky to have this bike during this drought for bikes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was at Santos Bike shop is Ocala FL today. They had 3 fathoms size M-XL that had play is the fork bushings. When I got my new bike today I rode it for 1 hour of normal trail use and it was making really bad noise. They are going to warranty it. Great bike shop and I’m still lucky to have this bike during this drought for bikes.
Thats good. Yea I haven't rode trail yet, but just riding around d town some, and I had clicking, but the other day it seemed to subside. LBS told me that clicking could be the seals being cold and sticking some. Said probably will break in and stop. Might have finally hit that point.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I rode my 27.5 fathom 2 today for the 1st time on the trail. Mine has a clicking sound at the top of the stroke on the small little bumps. Fork worked fine just the clicking sound was irritating. Did any of your bikes come with the air volume spacers? My shop told me none came with the bike.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I should have replied in our other thread. Mine didn’t come with spacers. I haven’t heard of any coming with them.

I have heard a lot about clicking but if it doesn’t affect performance maybe it will break in and this is normal? As for a fork recall, I think this thread is misleading, there is no indication that is true.

I am disappointed to not hear / see more from Giant. Don’t they monitor these forums?!?

I am encouraged by this fork’s performance but to not hear anything about rebuild kits or feedback from them on the clicking sucks. When you’re building a key component like this you need to over communicate to build trust and faith in your product. They get an F so far...

My hope is, the contact dropper is a solid product with support (spare parts), so they will do the same with this fork...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I should have replied in our other thread. Mine didn’t come with spacers. I haven’t heard of any coming with them.

I have heard a lot about clicking but if it doesn’t affect performance maybe it will break in and this is normal? As for a fork recall, I think this thread is misleading, there is no indication that is true.

I am disappointed to not hear / see more from Giant. Don’t they monitor these forums?!?

I am encouraged by this fork’s performance but to not hear anything about rebuild kits or feedback from them on the clicking sucks. When you’re building a key component like this you need to over communicate to build trust and faith in your product. They get an F so far...

My hope is, the contact dropper is a solid product with support (spare parts), so they will do the same with this fork...
I agree. The clicking just sounds like a pencil tapping on the desk. Not super loud but you can def hear it. Actually I was impressed on the fork,smooth and responsive. I’d def like to play with some volume spacers and see what I can do

·
Registered
78 Posts

I agree. The clicking just sounds like a pencil tapping on the desk. Not super loud but you can def hear it. Actually I was impressed on the fork,smooth and responsive. I’d def like to play with some volume spacers and see what I can do

·
Registered
623 Posts
Are there any service videos or spare parts or anything on this fork? The plastic air cap broke and I can’t find a new one anywhere online. Also would like to put a 120mm air shaft in if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mines never had any clicking noise, I like the fork so far. I just wish there wasn't plastic caps and knobs, definitely makes it feel cheap. Anyone know of any higher quality replacement parts for those?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Mines never had any clicking noise, I like the fork so far. I just wish there wasn't plastic caps and knobs, definitely makes it feel cheap. Anyone know of any higher quality replacement parts for those?
I’m thinking a fox 34 air cap might work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had clicking until I didn't any longer. It just so happened that the compression adjuster/lockout stopped working at the same time the noise stopped. Giant's operations are closed for the holidays so let's see what happens when they get back. I also have bushing play on the compression adj side station. Plastic schrader cap broke as well. Seems to be made somewhat cheap overall.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had clicking until I didn't any longer. It just so happened that the compression adjuster/lockout stopped working at the same time the noise stopped. Giant's operations are closed for the holidays so let's see what happens when they get back. I also have bushing play on the compression adj side station. Plastic schrader cap broke as well. Seems to be made somewhat cheap overall.
Interested to hear what they say! My bike just started the clicking! :(. I have just over a 100 miles on it...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Still waiting to hear anything from Giant. Please post updates once you hear about a resolution. I would love to keep the fork but right now the lack of support and information on this product is not great.
I emailed Giant for any updates but they insist I keep communicating with the bike shop who doesn’t have any answers yet. If this gets resolved in a decent time I would give this bike high props and recommend it to absolutely anyone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Still waiting to hear anything from Giant. Please post updates once you hear about a resolution. I would love to keep the fork but right now the lack of support and information on this product is not great.
I emailed Giant for any updates but they insist I keep communicating with the bike shop who doesn’t have any answers yet. If this gets resolved in a decent time I would give this bike high props and recommend it to absolutely anyone.
My fork makes a click like a pencil is lightly tapping on a desk on the top of the stroke. Fork is actually pretty good. I would have liked giant to supply us with volume spacers but I guess that’s just more money to spend. My issue isint so much on the fork,it’s my drivetrain on my fathom 2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My fork makes a click like a pencil is lightly tapping on a desk on the top of the stroke. Fork is actually pretty good. I would have liked giant to supply us with volume spacers but I guess that’s just more money to spend. My issue isint so much on the fork,it’s my drivetrain on my fathom 2.
What is going on with it? That’s the shimano stuff right?
It’s my first time having shimano drive train and standards on the bike are annoying but mine works properly.
Mostly wish the fork felt solid and quiet like a RS or Fox.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What is going on with it? That’s the shimano stuff right?
It’s my first time having shimano drive train and standards on the bike are annoying but mine works properly.
Mostly wish the fork felt solid and quiet like a RS or Fox.
So it won’t stay in the top two gears on the cog. Just wants to jump off because the angle of the chain is so bad.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts