Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giant Bike.jpg
Hi all

I have the attached bike, size M. Would like to get it around the 9.5kg mark. My main reason being my previous bike (hardtail) was at this weight.
Currently sits at 10.36kg, with the following changes/additions I have made from spec:
- ESI chunky grips
- Thompson XC carbon bar
- Garmin mount
- XTR pedals
- Elite bottle holder (cheap plastic version)

I would like to keep the original saddle as it is comfy.
I do have a Syntace P6 post I can use (will compare weights).

My feeling is I can make up most of the weight with a new wheelset? If so, any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Bikes in jeans
2,337 Posts
View attachment 1246561
Hi all

I have the attached bike, size M. Would like to get it around the 9.5kg mark. My main reason being my previous bike (hardtail) was at this weight.
Currently sits at 10.36kg, with the following changes/additions I have made from spec:
- ESI chunky grips
- Thompson XC carbon bar
- Garmin mount
- XTR pedals
- Elite bottle holder (cheap plastic version)

I would like to keep the original saddle as it is comfy.
I do have a Syntace P6 post I can use (will compare weights).

My feeling is I can make up most of the weight with a new wheelset? If so, any suggestions.

Thanks
You're already running very respectable carbon wheels on an $8000+ bike. To lose a full Kg more off that bike as it sits is not possible using the wheels, I'm not sure it's possible at all without getting into crazy custom territory or going single speed which will drastically change the usage and durability of it. But the wheelset is not what I would be messing with unless you just like to burn 4 figure in cost for a few tens of grams savings.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 19 Anthem Adv Pro 1 is 10.46kg with a dropper.
The wheels made a big difference.
I have the Stans Valors with the NEO Ultimate hubs, full XX1 DUB drivetrain and running Aspens, carbon flat bars etc ESI grips.
Also a few of the guys down here have gone to a 160mm front rotor... An Ashima 160 is 85g or Shimano IceTech 160mm 111g compared to a centerline 180mm at 140g and a IceTech 180mm at 131g.
The new Stans Podiums are even lighter than the Valors (wider internal width too)
If I took the dropper out an dran the stock carbon seat post Id save about 200g ish...
Lighter wheels have a far greater effect than just saving weight overall. Th erotational weight being lower means accelerating out of corners is much better.
It all adds up.

2A6057BF-4943-440C-B84F-870F40EF35FC.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Xpedo ti pedals will take another 75g off.

Ritchey superlogic grips will take 30-40g away.

I would look into a Kalloy lightweight stem (7050). It’s cheap, strong, and very light. I’m not sure what stem comes on that anthem, but it’s significantly lighter than what came on mine. Yours is carbon, which is pretty, but not necessarily lighter when it comes to stems. The weight savings here could be substantial for only spending $26. I’ve been racing on mine and have had zero issues.

An ultralight carbon bottle cage can take another 30g or so off.

A mt zoom or other superlight seatpost could take off some more weight as well. A mt zoom handlebar might also be lighter that the Thompson, but I don’t know how much that Thompson weighs.

Next carbon cranks will shave a few grams as well as an e13 cassette.

Some of the above are mentioned because it is quite a lofty goal to take off nearly 900g off that bike. I wouldn’t make all these changes if it were me. I’m not sure you can get that bike to be 9.5kg, but maybe sub 10.

I like the xpedo ti pedals, superlogic grips (10g for the pair), the mt zoom handlebar (120g or so for a 750mm flat bar), the kalloy stem (sub 100g), and will be getting a my zoom seatpost eventually. Good deals can be found on carbon cages in the 15g range on the internet if you’re patient or willing to spend for it.

I wouldn’t change the crankset or cassette if it were me, but you could save weight there. You could also look at super lightweight racing tires, but I would rather stick to race tires with some protection like what you already have.

·
Registered
592 Posts
This is my old Anthem X 29. Lightening your bike can be done, will be very expensive but a hobby may cost some money ;-)?
Large raw alu frame 2180 grams, shock 237 grams. I have build some lighter wheels later on and put a Tune saddle on it. Shaved even more grams.
Returns on investment is another story...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have decided to finally get things underway. A few things on order/to do:
- xpedo pedals
- mt zoom bars
- mt zoom seat post
- Kalloy stem
- Ashima rotors (I have set of these in the shed somewhere, will try them out)
- ESI grips (back to, since changed from original post)

With the following to be updated in the near future:
- Saddle, tune speedneedle saddle (any other recommendations worth trying?)
- Bottle holder (recommendations)
- Wheelset maybe? (Will weigh mine first)

Further tips/recommendations welcome!

·
Maromero
1,603 Posts
Been using Tune saddles for a while, first the Speedneedle Marathon (I still have 2) which was ok coming from a SLR Selle Italia, now I'm on my third Tune Komvor, the main difference is that this one doesn't "eat" the inner part of your pants, they have a weight limit, which I ignored and broke one while carrying a 20 lbs load on my back, after that episode I got two more that are still in duty. komvor new.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
- xpedo pedals
- mt zoom bars
- mt zoom seat post
- Kalloy stem

That’s very similar to my setup for my anthem. Mt zoom makes great stuff, I prefer the 9* sweep over the 4* (I own both). I also have the kalloy stem and the xpedo ti pedals and am pleased with them.

The bontrager xxx bottle cage is super light (16g?) and you can find them on eBay for a good price.

I just realized that I basically said all this a year ago above. All those parts are still holding up great if durability was in question.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
- xpedo pedals
- mt zoom bars
- mt zoom seat post
- Kalloy stem

Your list looks great.

ESI Grips arent that light, but Comfort and use is important. I have a 2 dollar set of grips that are 26 grams. They are comfy but not great for Texas summer months.

For ashima rotors, I would use a new pair of ai2 since they wear in the middle.
Everything else is on teh right track

Consider that lockout setup. I Thought it was crazy at first, but after 2 years, I have removed mine and not looked back. Its one less thing I am doing in a race and one less thing to hit my knee on. Also dropped 130 grams. Let that DW link do its job...

What type of rear axle do you have? is it bolt through? weight? Carbon Ti axle perhaps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So changed over most things today,

New list:
- Ritchey foam grips
- Mt Zoom handlebar (cut back to 720)
- Kalloy stem
- Mt Zoom seatpost
- Tune Komm Vor saddle
- XTR 11 speed shifter
- absolute black 32T front chainring
- Sram Eagle X01 12 speed chain
- Sram XX1 11 speed cassette
- XTR 11 speed rear mech
- Ashima Ai2 rotors
- Xpedo pedals

Waiting on:
- bottle holder
- Need to cut back steerer
- throw any other ideas at me!

Prior to starting changeover, bike weighed in at 10.56kg (I know I had 10.36kg at the top of the thread?, but weighing today was 10.56kg) New weight: 9.84kg. Feels so good and hope to give it a test in the coming days!

I went back to 11 speed for a couple of reasons:
1. Weight saving
2. Not a huge fan of the big eagle cassette
3. I had the gear all sitting here as it was going to replace the almost worn drivetrain on the hardtail, which I don't ride much anymore.

Current tyres:
Front, ikon 2.2
Rear, aspen 2.1

Pic to come...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts