Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the most recent issue of Mountain Bike Action Magazine they did a shootout of a Cannondale Trail SL 2 in a 26 version and a 29er both equipped with the same components. I read the entire article.....but jump to the conclusion and the staff at MBA chose the 29 over the 26. The first thing that came to my mind after reading is I wonder if they would come to the same conclusion with the Anthem X.....so.....what do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
I own an Anthem 29er and always thought it would be cool to get an Anthem X. However since I won the Anthem 29er I couldn't justify spending money on bike that was so similar. Granted I like the fact that 26er's are agile and "cut" better than 29er's but a 29er with versus a 26er with 100mms of suspension would probably be better for bypassing obstacles. I ended up with by buying a Faith 0,I wanted the agility of a 26er but with power to overwhelm whatever obstacle I may encounter on a trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mefistofeles said:
I own an Anthem 29er and always thought it would be cool to get an Anthem X. However since I won the Anthem 29er I couldn't justify spending money on bike that was so similar. Granted I like the fact that 26er's are agile and "cut" better than 29er's but a 29er with versus a 26er with 100mms of suspension would probably be better for bypassing obstacles. I ended up with by buying a Faith 0,I wanted the agility of a 26er but with power to overwhelm whatever obstacle I may encounter on a trail.
Lucky you.....winning a bike! Ha-ha :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Wow didn't mean to mislead you there. Unfortunately I did not win the bike,huh I wonder why I wrote that?

The Anthem X 26er looks like a great bike. Although the 29er is pretty agile I would imagine that you're going to get far more precise steering on the 26 inch bike especially the X1 or the Advanced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mefistofeles said:
Wow didn't mean to mislead you there. Unfortunately I did not win the bike,huh I wonder why I wrote that?
Won and Own use the same letters! :D Ha-ha no worries.

From what I've read, it seems like the 29ers make better trail bikes if thats what you'll be using it for and the 26er is better if your trails are all very tight with lots of starts and stops. They also said the 29ers are better for newer riders with less skill because they allow a rider to ride tougher trails with less effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I have ridden an Anthem X3 for a few years and loved it very nimble and quick yet doubled as a very capable trail bike. I just bought an Anthem X 29er 1 I only have had a few rides on it but it feels and moves just like my 26 anthem except one very big difference. All big ruts or rocks or roots now feel like a pebble compared to the 26. I would highly suggest the anthem 29er
 

·
bikes, bikes, bikes!
Joined
·
76 Posts
29 all the way! I own the Anthem X29 and I have ridden the Anthem X 26in and in my opinion, if your not racing downhill or dirtjumping then you should be on a 29! The Anthem X is now my 6th 29 that I've owned and I would never touch a 26in xc or trail bike again.

The Anthem X29 is the best conering bike I have ever ridden.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kyle10bike said:
29 all the way! I own the Anthem X29 and I have ridden the Anthem X 26in and in my opinion, if your not racing downhill or dirtjumping then you should be on a 29! The Anthem X is now my 6th 29 that I've owned and I would never touch a 26in xc or trail bike again.

The Anthem X29 is the best conering bike I have ever ridden.
Dude....how long have you been riding 29ers? Your 6th one!! :eek: You must buy a couple bikes a year....considering the 29er concept has really only started picking up steam in the past 1-2 years or so
 

·
bikes, bikes, bikes!
Joined
·
76 Posts
swengo86 said:
Dude....how long have you been riding 29ers? Your 6th one!! :eek: You must buy a couple bikes a year....considering the 29er concept has really only started picking up steam in the past 1-2 years or so
I've been riding 29s for 3 years now. My first one was a 07 Niner R.I.P.9 and I've been hooked ever since. I get a new trail bike about every 6 months... one of the benefits of working at a shop!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kyle10bike said:
I've been riding 29s for 3 years now. My first one was a 07 Niner R.I.P.9 and I've been hooked ever since. I get a new trail bike about every 6 months... one of the benefits of working at a shop!
Do you live where you have nice riding weather all year long? Unfortunately, I only have one bike, a trance x and I'd love to get something with some big wheels!
 

·
bikes, bikes, bikes!
Joined
·
76 Posts
swengo86 said:
Do you live where you have nice riding weather all year long? Unfortunately, I only have one bike, a trance x and I'd love to get something with some big wheels!
Hard to say... I live in Littleton, Colorado. One day it can be 0 degrees and have a foot of snow on the ground, the next day it could be 60 degrees and all the snow could be melted by the end of the day. We have crazy weather in Colorado.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kyle10bike said:
Hard to say... I live in Littleton, Colorado. One day it can be 0 degrees and have a foot of snow on the ground, the next day it could be 60 degrees and all the snow could be melted by the end of the day. We have crazy weather in Colorado.
You're not kidding! I'm from PA but last night I was in Denver and now I'm sitting along side the mountain at Winter Park....it was 57 in Denver this morning and by the time we got here this afternoon it was in the 20's!

On another note, since you have ridden both the Niner and the Giant Anthem X 29...how would you compare the bikes? I love my trance and wish Giant would come out with a 29" version of that bike. I realize the RIP 9 would be very similar to that exact bike as the suspension system Niner uses is the same as Giant, correct? My local shop back home deals both Giant and Niner so I could get either or....once I finally am able to purchase a new ride of course
 

·
bikes, bikes, bikes!
Joined
·
76 Posts
swengo86 said:
You're not kidding! I'm from PA but last night I was in Denver and now I'm sitting along side the mountain at Winter Park....it was 57 in Denver this morning and by the time we got here this afternoon it was in the 20's!

On another note, since you have ridden both the Niner and the Giant Anthem X 29...how would you compare the bikes? I love my trance and wish Giant would come out with a 29" version of that bike. I realize the RIP 9 would be very similar to that exact bike as the suspension system Niner uses is the same as Giant, correct? My local shop back home deals both Giant and Niner so I could get either or....once I finally am able to purchase a new ride of course
I bet Giant will have a Trance X 29 in the next 2 years. They dont have the same suspension but they are very simular. I perver the Maestro suspension just a little more over the CVA, it seems to be more small bump compliant. The biggest reasons why I chose the Anthem this year over a R.I.P. or JET is because its a lot cheaper, the frame is lighter, and I had yet to own one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea that is one of the reasons I went with a Trance X originally. It is hard to beat the value that Giant packs into each complete bike. Because they do such a large volume of business with their own product and manufacturing frames for many other companies they are able to pass along the savings to us as the consumer. If you were to try and spec out a JET or RIP with the same bits that the Anthem X 29 comes with you'd spend quite a bit more. I'm really hoping Giant has a new Trance X 29 in the works!! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Admire vs Love

I owned the 26 for a year, and replaced them with the 29er few months ago. Riding at the same places I rode my SC Nomad...
The 26 is fast and a lot of fun, great even in trails and long rides. Having said that, the 29er is just a faster bike in almost every situation. It pedals better, while at the same time goes over everything better, too. It also easier to move from seating to standing and stay there for longer. Easily better grip as well.
All in all, though the 26 is exceptionally great bike, the 29er is still the better bike.
The only area where the 26 may win you over the 29er is in the pure fun factor- it is more nimble, and deliver more direct reaction to your inputs. You will admire you 29er, versus loving your 26.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Admire vs Love

swengo86 said:
In the most recent issue of Mountain Bike Action Magazine they did a shootout of a Cannondale Trail SL 2 in a 26 version and a 29er both equipped with the same components. I read the entire article.....but jump to the conclusion and the staff at MBA chose the 29 over the 26. The first thing that came to my mind after reading is I wonder if they would come to the same conclusion with the Anthem X.....so.....what do you think?
I owned the 26 for a year, and replaced them with the 29er few months ago. Riding at the same places I rode my SC Nomad...
The 26 is fast and a lot of fun, great even in trails and long rides. Having said that, the 29er is just a faster bike in almost every situation. It pedals better, while at the same time goes over everything better, too. It also easier to move from seating to standing and stay there for longer. Easily better grip as well.
All in all, though the 26 is exceptionally great bike, the 29er is still the better bike.
The only area where the 26 may win you over the 29er is in the pure fun factor- it is more nimble, and deliver more direct reaction to your inputs. You will admire you 29er, versus loving your 26.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
I've run an Anthem 29 for 1.5 seasons now, and previously had a 26' Anthem for 2.5 seasons. Both used as my main 'trail bike' and raced a lot in XC and enduro races. Both set up with Stans wheels, XT, etc..

I prefer the 29er for essentially everything. The 26er is slightly easier to manual and loft, but the 29er is a better trail bike, grips better on corners and climbs, rolls faster on gravel and hardpack. Better race bike. My 29er is an XL and looks huge when I'm not on it, but when riding it is plenty nimble for XC riding, tight switchbacks, etc. I'd never go back to the 26er.

I'm nearly 6'3". Your mileage may vary if under 5'8".
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top