Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Custom Spider XVP

Votes: 7 20.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so im looking to buy a new bike for racing XC. I have read and been told great things about the anthem because i know people who SELL them. And i have read and heard great things about the intense spider. The intense spider XVP im looking at is custom made with top of the line SRAM parts, raceface cranks, really nice wheel set (sorry bout not remembering) with blade spokes, and great hubs. It has a ice stem, headset, and easton bars. Its got a fox 4" inch travel for a shock, the one with the adjustable pro pedal and the same fork as the anthem x1. It has carbon fiber break levers, with hydrolic adjustable breaks and the ability to have remote lockout for that fork. This vs either the anthem x2, or x1 stock. Oh yea, the intense has not been ridden hard, only checked like all bikes to see if all components are working.

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
what are the prices on all the bikes? I got my 2009 anthem x2 after the 2010's came out, and saved $1,000 on it that way. I used the saved money and bought wheels and a xtr cassette. I do like the anthems, so, thats my vote.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I owned an Intense spider a few years back and had lots of issues with pivots/bearings. Sold it the first chance I got. I've never owned an Anthem but I know lots of guys on them and the suspension seems a little more reliable.

I vote Anthem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been riding and racing an '04 Spider XVP for 6 years. I think it is a good compromise between light weight and durability. The frame build is quite solid. The bearings need regular maintenance (1-2x /year) and will creak to let you know that it's time. The rear triangle has some lateral flex.

I like how the VPP rides especially under power and when climbing. The geometry is well suited for racing. I have been using a pushed fox float R which is super plush and ramps up nicely at the end of the stroke to use the full travel. The pushed shock is much better than the original '04 pro-pedal that came stock.

I am also looking to build a new bike with all the latest light weight components but I am having trouble deciding on a new frame that would be an improvement over the spider. I would like to try a giant anthem for comparison but I would have no issues with continuing to use the spider frame with new components.

If you don't mind the hassle of bearing maintenance than I would recommend the spider as it rides amazing. Intense has sent me pivot bolts and bearings several times under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
6,784 Posts
The Anthem X2 Maestro suspension is a simple, work of art...fast UP and DOWN!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts