Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just after any advice from anyone who had put a 120mm fork on a new Anthem Advanced. Planning on buying a 27.5.1 Model in Med and putting 120mm fox floats on; a few questions
1. Can the 100mm forks be converted.
2. If not what steerer would the new forks need.
3. How is the geometry and ride affected.
Look forward to some feedback. Cheers

·
Your Best Friend
5,295 Posts
1. No
2. Standard tapered steerer. Get a new headset.
3. It'll slacken the bike out by about a degree. Steering will be slowed down. BB will rise a bit but minimally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, a degree would be ok as checked an my old Yeti ASR is 69 so would only .5 degree less, so hopefully similar ride with a little more front travel. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that info, maybe I should try and wait till 2015! Do you think it would be a different frame or would they simply put a 120 fork on the existing frame?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback, that's good to hear.
Did you find it made much difference to your riding position/geometry. As I will get the Advanced 1 with the non-convertible Fox Float I want to find out as much as I can before I commit to new forks/headset/stem etc.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The recon on the lower level Anthem's are convertible to 120mm, even has air settings on the legs for both travel ranges. I believe any Reba model is convertible as well to 120.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a 2014 anthem advanced 0, and replaced the air spring shaft not on the Sid xx to make it 120. Very nice.
Did you swap it yourself or got it done by a bike shop? I'm wondering what the cost would be labor wise to replace the air shaft. I want to put a Revelation on the Anthem, but travel reduced to 120mm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think a 120 fork may make it more capable in the rock gardens? I have a 275. 1. It is totally capable out of the box but I think for riding in New England more fork and beefier tires maybe 2.35s to replace the 2.1s. Hearing good things about Hans Dampf's?
Just off the trail today and the bike is easy to roll for 3+ hours in the technical and mixed terrain here.
The Anthem is fast and fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts