Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Official Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again. 5'11", 32.5" bike inseam, 74" wingspan.

Parking lot test ride summary: medium feels a little small, large feels a little big. :skep:

Either choice is going to be a concession. Which direction are most people my height going? I would go for a Large (barely) on the 26" Anthem, but I'm new to 29ers.

I run the top of my saddle 29.2" from the center of the bb, which means I will have about a yard of seatpost showing on the medium.

Would like to hear your experience on this bike (medium or large) if you are about my height.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm ~5'10" with a 32" bike inseam. I'm very happy with my medium. I think I prefer to err on the slightly small side with my 29er to maximize its maneuverability. My seat is set very close to even with my handlebars. You could always put a slightly longer stem to stretch out the cockpit a bit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ended up going with the large- But I'm 5'11 with a 30 inch inseam- so I was 10 different kinds of crowded in the medium. Standover height isnt very roomy- but actual performance of the bike is excellent. With the medium rental bike I kept washing out and felt like I was above my handlebars.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'm ~5'10" with a 32" bike inseam. I'm very happy with my medium. I think I prefer to err on the slightly small side with my 29er to maximize its maneuverability. My seat is set very close to even with my handlebars. You could always put a slightly longer stem to stretch out the cockpit a bit.
6' tall with 32" inseam. Large fits perfectly. Running 105mm stem and 660mm bars.. No way would a medium fit me well even with a longer stem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
5' 11" 32" inseam. Large felt big for me - during the parking lot test - but the LBS insisted it fit me so I went with it. I was also moving up to a 29er for the first time...once I got it out on the trails, it felt perfect.

·
Official Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much stand-over do you 5-10, 5-11 riders have on the large? I understand stand-over is over-rated, but it would still be nice to have SOME room there.

I have ZERO stand-over clearance on the large.

On the medium, I had to run the seatpost a good 3/4" past the minimum insertion point.

:rolleyes:

Maybe I will wait for the 2013 size M/L

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I doubt there will be a M/L. If you look at the specs, the S, M, AND the Large all have the same headtube length. quite a rare occurrence, but caused by the 29er wheels and that the tapered headtube needs to be a certain length.

So.. the only real fit difference is top tube length. (standover and seattube length are different but when you are on the bike it's only the tt length that differs)

as one point of reference, we've sold about 100 or so of these and I don't think we've sold a medium to someone 5'11" so far.

·
Registered
215 Posts
6'. guess I have a 33-34 inseam. Went with a large X1. Medium felt a tad to small. Large felt good except I did feel that I was leaning forward a little to much but I always feel that way with a flat bar. Ordered a carbon riser that made it feel way better. Bike handled great either way. Btw I chose this over a medium pivot Mach 429 that was 2 years old with updated 1yo xt components. It felt just as stiff and rode a little better in my book.

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
About the same here... 5'11'+ with 32ish inseam... bought a large. Still need to build it up, but I test rode both and the medium felt too small when cornering aggressively... felt like the front wheel was under me.

Plus, I owned a medium HiFi 29 with the same top tube dimensions and sold it because it felt too small for the same reason... when cruising it was fine, but as soon I had to get aggressive on a downhill or in the rough it felt too short.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.