Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum and just getting back into XC riding...currently shopping for a bike. So here are a few questions for the guys/galls that seem to know A LOT about this stuff!!

I currently have an option to pick up a used, but in pretty good condition, '06 Anthem 1 or a brand new '08 Anthem 1 for about the same price. Thoughts? I know the '06 on paper is a much better bike but not sure how the passage of time/tech should factor into this decision.

Also, if I do go with the '06, would upgrading the rear and front shock (Manitou R7) be a waste of money? Is the Fox setup on the '08 really that much better?

Thanks in advance for any comments you may have.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Go newer. You get lifetime warranty on the frame. You can't beat that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the frame is the same.
If you trust the seller of the 06 bike (the bike has not been abused in extreme conditions or by inappropriate riding style, suffered from lack of maintenance etc.), then it comes down to components. If they do not need to be replaced because of wear then I might choose them over cheaper new components.
On the other hand used is used and new is new. On used parts you will not get warranty, free servicing (whatever applies to the new bike) .
Have not had Fox so cannot really compare, but both the Manitou fork and shock are perfectly ok on my 2006 Anthem 2.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Go the new - same price and not worn out componentry. Have an Anthem 1 08 and it is a great bike. Start a good relationship with the lbs - helpful when you need to get all of the Gu, new tyres, chains etc. They will always treat their bike customers better! Makes sense as they want the repeat business for the serious customers (if they have any brains - as you will be back if you are happy)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts