Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Official Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Giant AnyRoad 2.

I've never had a frame crack before, so excuse my ignorance.

Getting an ominous creaking, popping sound, and have ruled out all of the typical sources. Cleaned and greased headset, bb, chainrings, pedals.

Creaks while standing pedaling, and if I push laterally on the pedals while off of the bike.

Found what I thought was a small paint crack in a downtube decal ... but maybe it's into the aluminum?

Ive got a two week wait to get into the service department at my local giant dealer.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
that is a weird spot for a tube crack as well as a paint crack....tap all around the entire tube and compare sound at that crack area, use a long thin dowel, pencil, or hard plastic pen, and see if that particular area sounds different

·
Registered
730 Posts
l wouldn't ride that bike any further until it's been checked out by a dealer.

lf it is a crack, the frame could fail completely when you hit a section of rough trail at speed.

The "ominous creaking, popping sound" is the bike warning you that it's in trouble.

·
furker
915 Posts
Zooming WAY in on the 3rd picture, I see classic signs of metal fatigue cracking.

There are 2 secondary cracks at roughly 90 degrees to the primary crack. One at the middle of the crack going down, the other at the far right of the crack going up from the crack. That is typically a sign that the primary crack has been opening and closing and repeatedly stressing the adjacent metal until the secondary cracks formed.

There also appears to be puckering at the edge of the primary crack near the downward secondary crack. That can be a sign of the crack opening and shutting under stress, and impacting that pressure point in the crack.

I wouldn't expect to see those 2 secondary cracks if this was just a paint flaw.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Zooming WAY in on the 3rd picture, I see classic signs of metal fatigue cracking.

There are 2 secondary cracks at roughly 90 degrees to the primary crack. One at the middle of the crack going down, the other at the far right of the crack going up from the crack. That is typically a sign that the primary crack has been opening and closing and repeatedly stressing the adjacent metal until the secondary cracks formed.

There also appears to be puckering at the edge of the primary crack near the downward secondary crack. That can be a sign of the crack opening and shutting under stress, and impacting that pressure point in the crack.

I wouldn't expect to see those 2 secondary cracks if this was just a paint flaw.
I was thinking the same thing, that third picture really showed the most. Not sure if you mentioned it, but to the left, the crack extends upwards and by the look of it, I'd say the crack started on that side because of a downward pressure curve towards the front.

I wouldn't ride this bike right now, like someone else said...if this goes while you're riding at speed?? That's pretty serious.

·
Official Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Been waiting for a warranty replacement since September 2021. The Giant rep in Michigan is absolutely worthless. Doesn't return my shops calls or emails.
I receive marketing emails everyday from Giant saying I can buy a Revolt, or any other bike, and have it in 7 days. Yet, somehow, no frames available for those who have already given Giant their hard earned money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.