Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a trance X4 as my first mountain bike but blew the rear shock and have found that I need an upradge in fork and rear shock. Should I upgrade the frame on the Giant Trance X4 or acquire a new frame/bike that is better? Also if I am just getting a rear shock, what shock should i get that can fit?

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Have you broken the frame? If not, stick with it.

As far as what shock you can get, look at what the higher range Trance was equipped with for what ever year you have. There should be both a Fox and a RockShox option for your bike. Once you sort out which size fits, then it's just a matter of how much $$$ you want to spend on the shock.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've really enjoyed my 08 Trance X. A lot of guys including me went to a slightly longer 7.5x2 over the stock 7.25x1.75. I didn't notice a difference from the change, but it's easier to find this length shock sometimes. I've run 3 different shocks on mine. Medium rebound tune and low compression tune worked best for me. This one might work well for you: RockShox Monarch RT3 Shock Black | eBay Search the Giant forum for some more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should I still keep the frame even if I want to start hitting bigger features? My other mtb friends are saying I should get a frame with better geometry. Just trying to learn thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can't add much to that since I'm just a trail rider and don't do "bigger features!" Hopefully someone else can help more. I'd be surprised if a good rider can't do some pretty amazing things on a Trance X with a good fork and shock. Sektor coil with upgraded dampers and an RT3 worked great for me.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a Trance X3 and it is a great bike!!! I'm 230 lbs. and have been riding my Trance since brand new in 2011 with zero issues besides the normal wear and tear stuff. The frames are the same in the Trance series unless you go carbon. The X, X2, X3, X4 all comes about because of component specs. I would keep the frame but start upgrading. I ride it hard, I'm not easy on it and I love it! I have the original Fox Float R on mine and I feel it does a great job, the beauty of these bikes is that they come with the Maestro rear suspension design and you don't need a shock with lockout or CTD modes, this bikes' geometry was designed for an open rear shock to prevent pedal bob.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Should I still keep the frame even if I want to start hitting bigger features? My other mtb friends are saying I should get a frame with better geometry. Just trying to learn thanks for the advice!
Stick with the frame, the frame is fine. As for the shock, it is a 120mm rear shock, so look at some RS monarchs (possibly the plus if you can get one in 120mm)
If you want to get a new fork, look at the Sektor for something beefy and relatively inexpensive (you could go to 130mm in the fork to slacken the geometry out a little bit).

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
How big are you talking, feature wise. And what sort of frames are you friends talking, geometry wise? See, the thing is, people get this idea you have to have like, a 66 degree head angle to drop off something 3 feet tall, and you just don't. The Trance is a good ride, so talk more about what you're wanting to hit, and we'll talk more about frames, but if you really want to hit bigger stuff, and just want a new frame because your shocks are messed up, my advice to you is look at complete bikes. You basically have the worst level of components you could have bought the Trance with, so swapping that stuff over to another frame will just net you a frame with geometry you aren't used to and may not need, that has the same crappy component spec. You'd be better off to set yourself up with some good suspension, then work up upgrading the rest of your ride. Probably starting with your wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts